Do you judge a book by its cover?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Re: Do you judge a book by its cover?

Post by Neha Panikar »

I don't think the cover matters to me, as such. It's definitely something that might catch my attention at a bookstore, but I'd always turn it around and look for the plot, if it interests me. Conversely, if the cover is boring but the plot happens to interest me, there's no looking back. So, no, I won't judge a book by its cover!! I'd rather marvel at its genius of being the dark horse and surprising me with a beautiful fulfilling plot.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

The truth is that I do and I feel a lot of us would too. The first determining factor for me when I want to read a book is that I first look at the cover. Oftentimes I've judged books by their covers and ended up not reading them. Some with great covers didn't turn out so great anyway.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

Well, most times I do judge a book by its cover. It I am looking for something fun to read, I would definitely look out for the cover. For this book, I don’t think the cover completely matches its content.
Wemby Jordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wemby-jordan.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Wemby Jordan »

Yes, covers are works of art. A beautiful cover will attract readers to read it. They are essential because pictorial representations are wonderful.
Paavni Jain
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Paavni Jain »

Judging a book by its cover is a common expression cautioning against forming opinions based solely on appearance. While an attractive cover can draw readers in, it's essential to consider the content for a comprehensive evaluation. The cover may hint at the book's genre or theme, but the true value lies in the narrative, writing style, and overall substance.
Paavni Jain
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Paavni Jain »

Judging a book by its cover is a metaphorical reminder that appearances can be deceiving. A visually appealing cover might catch your attention and provide some insight into the book's genre or theme. However, the real essence of a book lies within its pages – the narrative, characters, writing style, and the depth of its content.

While a striking cover can serve as an initial attraction, it's crucial not to let it overshadow the importance of exploring the book's substance. Some well-loved literary classics may have simple or unassuming covers, emphasizing the notion that the true value of a book is found in the richness of its storytelling and the ideas it presents.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Sheen Jenny »

No, I'm more of a judge a book by the title girl. I try not to judge anything based solely on its appearance or initial impression. I understand that a book's cover is only one aspect of the whole story, and there's always more to learn from reading the actual content of the book. This is also true for people and situations in the real world. There's usually more to the story than what you see at first glance, so I try to approach all situations with an open mind and be willing to learn more before forming any judgments.
Kristine Mariel Diaz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine-mariel-diaz.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Kristine Mariel Diaz »

I do, totally. Specially on physical books that I am going to buy.
Since I don't read anything from a book before starting to read it (anything), my only reference is the cover of the book.
Just by looking at the cover I imagine a story (which is correct a 50% of the time)
In Nimue's case the cover is dark so the beggining of the book gave me that dark vibe.
Isaac Oh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: Odyssey Inside Out by K G Golden

Post by Isaac Oh »

I have judged many books by their cover but out of curiosity, I go back to check them out and most of them surprisingly don't sound like the cover looks.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

Of course, the cover is important, as it is the first thing that attracts your attention to the book. For me, the cover and title are an introduction to what the author is trying to convey. The cover here has a kind of mystery that is not necessarily very expressive, but the title makes you want to know more about its content.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke
fav_author_id: 2540

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

Absolutely do. Come on, think of the artists who have pain-stakingly designed it. Anyways, I am an INFJ: first impressions are third last impressions. A cover is like a packaging of a product. No manufacturer wants an unattractive product. The fact is, we will always consider everything the book is comprised of and I feel that it is our job as book reviewers to offer our opinion on EVERY aspect of the book.
Ni_weh_sesh62
Sbitan Mohammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbitan-mohammad.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Sbitan Mohammad »

I think I do that. On some days when I feel gloomy, a book's cover plays a very big role in whether I would click further or move to the next.
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

I rarely judge a book by its cover. Rather, I judge it by its reviews. However, I do not think the cover of Nimue fits its contents.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

The book's cover is the first thing that attracts me to a book, safe to admit, that when it comes to book, I judge it by it's cover, and although I'll admit that there are some good books with terrible covers, and Nimue's cover didn't completely justify it's content.
Jevonte Malik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jevonte-malik.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Jevonte Malik »

Well it's both yes and no. Some times, the book's cover can be a turn off for me. Other times, it can be the author's writing style, or even font style and size. These things matter.

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”