What do you think of the main character

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Re: What do you think of the main character

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

Her internal conflicts resonated deeply with me. It becomes challenging when your emotions and needs conflict with duty and destiny. I can only imagine the heightened difficulty when you're informed that your destiny holds the fate of the world in its balance.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Slayton Natasha Tillett
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slayton-natasha-tillett.html
Latest Review: When Your Partner Dies by Millard Hiner

Post by Slayton Natasha Tillett »

The main character is very easy to connect with an well developed.
Nimish Gadgil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimish-gadgil.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Nimish Gadgil »

The main character is highly relatable, evoking a sense of familiarity as if I already know someone with similar traits.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Atieno Magero »

Nina/Nimue is a very relatable character. Her uncertainty and romantic woes were somewhat comforting. It made the story more realistic. I also like that she had great character development in the story. She matured immensely as the story progressed.
Alex Russell 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-russell-5.html
Latest Review: The Object of My Affection by Cynthia A. King

Post by Alex Russell 5 »

For being a Mage, I thought Nimue felt like a very human and well-rounded character; she was strong without being immune to weakness and jealousy and doubt. Sullivan did a great job showing the complexity of the romance with Merlin, too, and all the tricky emotions that come up as the balance of power shifts throughout their relationship.
Brittney Bluhm
Favorite Book: Milk and Honey
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittney-bluhm.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Brittney Bluhm »

Nina/Nimue is a, personally, highly relatable and dynamic character. We've had those teenage crushes and memories that are bittersweet to look back on; when you're young and haven't had experience of living through different kinds of love, you feel like you have to hold on to that one special source of happiness. The reason why we hold onto this source of happiness is because we are afraid we will never experience any better or experience that level of acceptance and devotion again.

I love the fact that Ayn Cates Sullivan mirrors Nina and Nimue as one and the same. It shows how much of a mature transformation she undergoes as time moves on.

I have not read the other books. One thing I would love to learn more about is if there are any texts taken from Merlin's point of view. Trying to see him as a round, detailed and trustworthy character is difficult; we see everything from Nina/Nimue's point of view and never fully understand how genuine of a character he really is.

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”