What do you think of the main character

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: What do you think of the main character

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I enjoyed Nina/Nimue’s tenacity and curiosity. Also, her independence and strength were very inspiring and commendable. I can't imagine being in her shoes and finding out she's a goddess and destined to not only free but love Merlin.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Sara Rispo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-rispo.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Sara Rispo »

I think Nimue is a strong woman. She was able to accept her destiny even if it meant being accused of being a dark sorceress. She had a lover, a family, but she had to put her destiny first. I really enjoyed reading about how she discovered her true nature.
"Please, my dear, don't burn yourself to keep them warm".
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Anu Anand »

I find Nina, the main character in "NIMUE: Freeing Merlin," incredibly fascinating. Her evolution from a regular teenager into someone with a grand destiny is really captivating. What makes her character even more intriguing is her journey from being an ordinary girl to discovering that she's the Merlin who can bring balance back to the world. This adds a whole new dimension to her. Plus, the fact that she learns from her mistakes shows that nobody's perfect, not even someone with incredible power like her. Her growth and self-discovery make her a truly unforgettable character.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I am awed by Nina's (a.k.a. Mage's) bravery, courage, and curiosity. She is a very relatable character, and very mature for her age of only 17. In her place I would be baffled and confused to discover that I was a reincarnation of priestess Nimue but she seems taking it all in her stride :).
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Kathy Smith 16 wrote: 15 Sep 2023, 08:11 I found her inner struggles to be very relatable. It is hard when your emotions and needs feel at odds with duty and destiny. I imagine it's even harder when you're told your destiny impacts the fate of the world.
I do feel though that this type of main characters are very common to the point they became boring and predictable in my eyes,
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Voices of the Basque Signet by GalaGabirondo

Post by Marina Flisvou »

Nina's recurring dreams compel her to explore her mystical past. During this journey, she uncovers her past life as Nimue, a powerful sorceress with a deep connection to magic and nature. Nimue's passionate romance with Merlin and their mission to restore balance between light and darkness unfold in the middle of the narrative.
Marina
_ale_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Currently Reading: Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ale.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by _ale_ »

I am reading the book and I finished the first part.
I am not yet so involed in the story nor in characters.
I see Nina struggle because of her age, her family situation and her "strange dreams", but not quite sure about that.
I hope the book goes better by continuing it.
“But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings
_ale_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Currently Reading: Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ale.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
2024 Reading Goal: 10

Post by _ale_ »

Salah bourouba wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 06:26
Kathy Smith 16 wrote: 15 Sep 2023, 08:11 I found her inner struggles to be very relatable. It is hard when your emotions and needs feel at odds with duty and destiny. I imagine it's even harder when you're told your destiny impacts the fate of the world.
I do feel though that this type of main characters are very common to the point they became boring and predictable in my eyes,
I have not finished the book yet and I hope it goes better, but I had the same identical feeling.
“But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

Nina is a unique character in that she realises that she experiences both modern and ancient lives. It takes a strong woman to be sane in those circumstances. So, I think Nina is a very strong character.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: A Long Ago place by Donna Betten

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I think the main character was really strong and relatable she added so much to the plot. I loved her personality. I cant wait to get to the end of this book.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

At the beginning of the book, Nina appears to be like any typical teenager. In my opinion, Nina possesses a remarkably strong mentality as she withstands all the supernatural events that occur to her. I appreciate the character development of Nina as the story progresses.
Dennis Kiage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennis-kiage.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Dennis Kiage »

I think the main character is well developed and relatable just like the other characters are.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I feel like the main character is relatable in different ways. It is easy to see Nina and how she feels as a teenager, she's moving to another country for the summer, but cares for her mother and will follow through. She is missing her 'boyfriend' and worrying how the distance may affect them.

I see relatability of Nimue differently as we see her at different points in her life, and different kinds of choices to make. Would we always make the same decisions? I don't know.
Sara Rispo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-rispo.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Sara Rispo »

I absolutely loved Nimue more than Nina. The struggles that Nimue went through made her a more relatable character for me. It takes great courage to renounce one's love in favor of a greater path, and seeing Nimue make that decision was truly inspiring. Even her mistake of creating a double made her more human and relatable, rather than just a powerful mage.
"Please, my dear, don't burn yourself to keep them warm".
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1920
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I find the female protagonist, Nina, in the story very strong and effective. I was deeply influenced by her relationship with her mother and also her passion for mythology she inherited from her mother. She seemed to me a spiritual and elevated soul as she explored her true identity. I remember her as one of the predominant and memorable feminine characters I ever came across.

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”