What do you think of the main character

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Re: What do you think of the main character

Post by Okocha Victor »

Our emotions are 90% the reason why we do things that is why I think Nina is a very relatable character.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

I still look forward to a character with no drive or motivation. They just do things in the spur of the moment without necessarily feeling any emotions. I think it'll be an awesome content to read about in a fantasy book with loads of magic.
Amanda Nixon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Even as a once 17 and now 25 year old girl, I couldn't really relate. The thing is, while I enjoyed this book, she often felt like the typically writings of what a 17 year old girl is versus an actual 17 year old girl. Now, I understand it's a book and she's not real but the point stands. In today's media certain character types have all these cliches attached to them and are consistently written the same way whether or not that's based in reality. Nina did not feel like a real 17 year old girl (also she called her mom "mother" and that's just weird in current times and not a thing a girl does now). However, there are other aspects of her that I found quite easy to relate to. Nina can be upbeat and excited about the world and see the good in it but she can also be angry about the fate before her and I think this just resonates as real life experience and emotion. Specifically this, I related to quite well and feel like most people would because it's very reflective of a lot of mainstream thoughts on life (it's beautiful but it's angering, etc). For instance, for me personally I always believed the best in people an dhow wonderful life was. I got sick and was angry at my fate but eventually have come to terms with it and can enjoy life. I think that even for those who don't have this specific experience, everyone in life can relate to this specific type of anger at the world but also hopefully the optimism as well.
Dana Youngblood
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

I liked Nina's character. She is a teenager going through a hard time but seemed mature and willing to work on herself. She was confused a lot in the beginning, but that is understandable when she is given so much information that she doesn't know what to do with. However, I was not the biggest fan of Nimue. I felt she was immature and got jealous a lot. Luckily, she did not take it out on anyone, but she didn't seem to have much control over herself and her feelings. I felt that she was meant to be a strong, powerful Goddess that was going to be good for humanity, but I could not believe that was true. Nimue went through a lot and learned a lot in a short book, but she just did not grow on me the way I had hoped. I think Nimue needed a little more of Nina's characteristics in her.
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Dana Youngblood wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 18:01 I liked Nina's character. She is a teenager going through a hard time but seemed mature and willing to work on herself. She was confused a lot in the beginning, but that is understandable when she is given so much information that she doesn't know what to do with. However, I was not the biggest fan of Nimue. I felt she was immature and got jealous a lot. Luckily, she did not take it out on anyone, but she didn't seem to have much control over herself and her feelings. I felt that she was meant to be a strong, powerful Goddess that was going to be good for humanity, but I could not believe that was true. Nimue went through a lot and learned a lot in a short book, but she just did not grow on me the way I had hoped. I think Nimue needed a little more of Nina's characteristics in her.
Even though I loved this character, I have to admit that you are definitely right about her being immature and jealous! Of course, it reminds me of the many Greek and Roman dieties who were often described as huge, immature jerks—Loki, the myschievous troublemaker, stands out among the rest! I think what's cool about a lot of the gods and goddesses of mythology is that they were a reflection of humanity—complicated, emotional, and very human! While you didn't love her as much as I did, I do love that you have your own unique outlook on things! Thanks for sharing your thoughts...
Dana Youngblood
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

Cara Wilding wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 17:11
Dana Youngblood wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 18:01 I liked Nina's character. She is a teenager going through a hard time but seemed mature and willing to work on herself. She was confused a lot in the beginning, but that is understandable when she is given so much information that she doesn't know what to do with. However, I was not the biggest fan of Nimue. I felt she was immature and got jealous a lot. Luckily, she did not take it out on anyone, but she didn't seem to have much control over herself and her feelings. I felt that she was meant to be a strong, powerful Goddess that was going to be good for humanity, but I could not believe that was true. Nimue went through a lot and learned a lot in a short book, but she just did not grow on me the way I had hoped. I think Nimue needed a little more of Nina's characteristics in her.
Even though I loved this character, I have to admit that you are definitely right about her being immature and jealous! Of course, it reminds me of the many Greek and Roman dieties who were often described as huge, immature jerks—Loki, the myschievous troublemaker, stands out among the rest! I think what's cool about a lot of the gods and goddesses of mythology is that they were a reflection of humanity—complicated, emotional, and very human! While you didn't love her as much as I did, I do love that you have your own unique outlook on things! Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

That is a really great way to look at it. I think I had it in my head that she was a goddess and should not act like we do. However, you are right, they are a reflection of humans. Thinking that way does soften my opinion of her a little bit. I should have made that connection between Nina and Nimue being one and the same without thinking of Nimue as only the powerful goddess. Thank you for your response!
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Her internal troubles struck a very relatable chord with me. When your wants and emotions feel at conflict with your obligations and destiny, it is difficult. Knowing that your destiny affects the course of the entire globe must be considerably more difficult, in my opinion.
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

sujetin wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 18:03 While I was reading, and I think it was in the first third of the book, I found myself screaming: "Didn't your mother ever tell you to never get into a stranger's car?!".
It took me 10 to 15 pages to get over that and really focus back into the story. I liked the rest of the story, but I can't say Nimue was my favorite character.
I have to agree with this - when I read that part of the book I was just so surprised. She's doing this in a foreign country too! I felt that Nina was very emotional and jealous. There were some parts to Nina/Nimue that I found very relatable but also other parts that didn't seem as realistic.
PanwarP
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-panwarp.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by PanwarP »

I enjoy how Nimue develops throughout the narrative. She never stops discovering more about her abilities and what she can do. Overall, I thought that Sullivan's in-depth study of the Arthurian legend was evident in the character development, leading to very well-written characters.
Nele Ma
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nele-ma.html
Latest Review: Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Nele Ma »

I found the main character's growth inspiring and relatable, despite some reservations about her romantic life. Nina's development made her relatable, and I also liked Nimue's character and their interconnected past lives.
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

The main character of Nimue is very relatable and interesting to read about. I was intrigued by her gradual self discovery. Her inner strength was charming and that resonates with my personality.
PanwarP
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-panwarp.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by PanwarP »

I believe I can find motivation in the main character's attributes. I believe my favorite part of the narrative is how she changed throughout. There were other things about her that I did not like in any manner, particularly her romantic life. However, I concur with you that Nina was relatable much like all the other primary characters.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I enjoyed how relatable the main character was. Even when she was Nimue, she wasn't a perfect work of art. She had emotions and she made mistakes, and I thought that made her very relatable.
Sian Versweyveld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sian-versweyveld.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Sian Versweyveld »

I thought Nimue & Nina were pretty relatable. They both made mistakes, which is what happens to everyone. How they both developed throughout the story was interesting to see as well. Their experiences helped form who they were supposed to be.
“The mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Searching for Zen by Albert T. Franklin

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

I found the main character in this book to be strong and as a woman in this time we have to be strong and make wise decisions on our own so it was easy to relate.

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”