What do you think of the main character

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Danna Vergara
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Diary
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danna-vergara.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Bowling Ball Bombing by Kordel Lentine

What do you think of the main character

Post by Danna Vergara »

Sometimes the main character is very relatable, what do you think about this one?
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Birthright
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 46%

Post by NetMassimo »

It seems to me that Nina/Nimue was created using classic tropes that make her relatable, even to readers like me (a man far older than her). I mean, it's easy to understand her story and her motives, even in her past life.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jnapika D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnapika-d.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jnapika D »

I think the main character of Nimue is very relatable, strong & driven by her emotions & goal.
Kathy Smith 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy-smith-16.html
Latest Review: The Thing at the Edge of Blundertown by Jane M. Bloom

Post by Kathy Smith 16 »

I found her inner struggles to be very relatable. It is hard when your emotions and needs feel at odds with duty and destiny. I imagine it's even harder when you're told your destiny impacts the fate of the world.
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: Come What May by Marie Fostino

Post by Abraham Ozo »

I think that i am already falling in love with the personality of the main character. I can't wait to finish reading this book.
Nenye Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Radical Resilience by Carol Marchant Gibbs

Post by Nenye Charles »

I just started reading this book, and I feel the main character’s thoughts and personality are strong enough. I could actually sync with her line of thinking.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

The main character is very relatable, she is strong, dependable and driven. She is passionate about her goals despite having a heavy burden of her actions I
Impact the whole world.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

The main character is very relatable, she is strong, dependable and driven. She is passionate about her goals despite having a heavy burden of her actions I
Impact the whole world.
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

I really enjoy Nimue's character. Especially I like how much she grows through the story. She keeps learning about her powers and what she's able to achieve. In general, I found that Sullivan's deep research about the Arthurian myth really echoed in the character development, and resulted in well-written characters. :)
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Olive_and_Honey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olive-and-honey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olive_and_Honey »

I felt relatable to Nina through her age/identity demographic. She is searching for her meaning and purpose. Nimue is where I feel like I am striving to be, something bigger than myself that aids those who need me. This book offered me relatability in where I currently am, and inspiration for where I want to be.
Susann Heidy Castro Garnica
Currently Reading: Angel of Death
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susann-heidy-castro-garnica.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Susann Heidy Castro Garnica »

While I was reading, and I think it was in the first third of the book, I found myself screaming: "Didn't your mother ever tell you to never get into a stranger's car?!".
It took me 10 to 15 pages to get over that and really focus back into the story. I liked the rest of the story, but I can't say Nimue was my favorite character.
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

I loved this character! When we first meet Nina, she still struggles with losing her father. It’s difficult for her to speak about it, and she is reduced to tears when she tries. My heart couldn’t help but feel this. I thought her relationship with her mom was amazing. Despite Nina's pain, she could recognize that her mom was also suffering loss.

When they travel to London, you get a better sense of her. Nina is curious and imaginative. She wonders about time travel and portals to another dimension, has read about mythology and legends, and enjoys art, museums, and history. Her belief that the world’s true nature is benevolent made me think of my own childhood optimism. In her youth, she is uncertain and fearful, even asking herself if she is evil. At the same time, she is brave. There is a moment that is both frightening and exciting…she “chooses” excitement! This was so endearing to me.

As a woman, she experiences anger at her destiny. However, she later learns that her fate is more about love than betrayal. In her romantic relationship, she is often jealous. These very human behaviors resonated with me and made me empathize with her. She also makes a huge mistake during her journey that she feels ashamed about. However, she acknowledged she made a mistake and that there was a better way. I enjoyed seeing her reach out for help as well. We’d expect a heroine to be able to fix everything herself, so this is an unexpected and refreshing aspect of the story. She also ends up learning the lifelong reward and responsibility of motherhood, which so many women can connect with. Finally, as a mature woman, she is afraid to be alone. Of course, she realizes at the end that she was never truly alone, which was beautiful. What I love most about this character is how she grows throughout her lifetime.
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: You Own Me by Susan Shumaker

Post by Clauson Justin »

I think I can draw inspiration from the main character's strengths. I think I love the way she developed through out the story. There were aspects I did not appreciate about her any way especially in her romantic life. However, I agree with you, like every other main character Nina was relatable too.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

The development of the main character Nina gives her a sort of realistic skin, making it quite easy for readers to connect to her inner struggles. There, are, however, some adjustments that would have sort of bring certain things about Nina into the fore.
Jacqui Warren
Currently Reading: Finding The Light: A Journey in Healing
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacqui-warren.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jacqui Warren »

I really liked both Nina and Nimue. I found them to be very relatable and easy to like. I enjoyed how close in character and personality Nimue was to Nina and how her previous lives were linked.
:lire4:

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”