Discuss Nimue: Freeing Merlin

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: The Slippery Road. by L. M. Bollers

Discuss Nimue: Freeing Merlin

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

How do authors use mythological characters as a basis for creating compelling and relatable modern characters? Are there any examples of characters in this book or others that particularly stood out to you?
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

Ancient deities and heroes from myths are archetypes who resonate with us regardless of the age in which they were created. However, that makes it difficult for me to think of anyone particularly standing out, also because there are several significant characters despite the fact that the story is told from Nina/Nimue's point of view. Of course, this is very subjective.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nenye Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Nenye Charles »

I cannot really perceive any character as standing out . Like you correctly opined, there’s a smooth blend of the ancient with the modern characters, which makes the plot and storyline unique.
Nenye Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html

Post by Nenye Charles »

I cannot really perceive any character as standing out . Like you correctly opined, there’s a smooth blend of the ancient with the modern characters, which makes the plot and storyline unique.
Juma Florence
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juma-florence.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Signature Addition: Juma. Official Reviewer Representative

Post by Juma Florence »

"Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates is a mesmerizing modern twist on Arthurian legend. With masterful storytelling, it leads readers on a dreamlike journey of self-discovery through Celtic mysticism. This exceptional novel offers wise and spiritual literature, a true gem for those seeking visionary tales that captivate the mind and spirit.
Juma. Official Reviewer Representative
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

I'm a mythology nerd so I might be biased here ahah. I don't think it's a problem when authors use mythical characters as a basis for their story. On the contrary, it is something that appeals to me.
In Nimue, it really feels like each character has their own voice. The ancient Arthurian characters blend well with the modern ones (especially Morgen! I loved her role with Nina in the first part).
I don't have any other example in mind, of characters inspired by mythology but in a modern setting. But I'd definitely love to read another story like this one. :)
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Olive_and_Honey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olive-and-honey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olive_and_Honey »

I enjoyed the new take on an Arthurian retelling that ignored Arthur altogether. Typically, we know some about Merlin, this all-powerful wizard, and that is where the story for them stops. This story seamlessly intertwined other lore, such as different greek gods like diana, and ancient beings such as the spirit dragons.

The author was able to use our (the readers) understanding of prominent characters such as Merlin or Diana, and then built off what we typically know about them to reach a deeper understanding of the characters.
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

In this book, the author uses Nimue as the mythological character based on the mystical Lady of the Lake of the Arthurian legends to create Nina, a modern-day teenage girl. Like many young girls, Nina is discovering her identity. The way the author blended time and space to make them one and the same was brilliant...and that stood out to me! Taking other characters we know well, like Merlin, and expanding the space around them with these lesser-known characters and their stories is an irresistible draw!
Schyk Marcus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-schyk-marcus.html
Latest Review: The Soul Family by Alexx Shaw

Post by Schyk Marcus »

There will be more of different versions of the mythological stories than we are used to. I found them to be interesting because the author is talented and adds depth to the story.
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Kebun Bunga »

Mythological characters are rarely one-dimensional; they have strengths and weaknesses. This complexity allows modern characters to feel more real and relatable. Readers can see their own imperfections and virtues mirrored in these characters. Mythological characters often embody universal themes such as heroism, sacrifice, and destiny. By incorporating these themes into modern characters like Nimue, authors make their struggles and journeys relatable to contemporary readers.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

You asked if there are any mythological characters from this or other books, and I think Frodo Baggins (Lord of the Rings Trilogy) must be one of the most recognised mythological characters; he's a hobbit, after all. He's incredibly relatable as he is what every person wishes they could be: a selfless yet reluctant hero. It may be easier to use a mythological character in place of a human one, as there's more artistic licence to include extra layers and abilities to make them relatable yet still unique.
Jacqui Warren
Currently Reading: Finding The Light: A Journey in Healing
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacqui-warren.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jacqui Warren »

I love books based in history, and also in mythology and legends. The legend of King Arthur, the knights of the roundtable and the magical lady of the lake is such a well known myth/legend that has been written and re-written so many times it felt quite exciting to get to read such a different version. I love the characters of Nina and Nimue and felt that they were really strong and carried the story in both worlds with see less continuity.

I especially loved the connection of Nimue and Merlin. Merlin was a great character and he really stood out for me. Glastonbury and Tintagel are magical places, and really helped bring the characters alive.
:lire4:
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

I find it awesome that people are able to create such awesome books based off these mythologies. I am intrigued and can't wait to finish this book.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

It is also awesome to be able to include things like time travel in your book and accurately maintain the pacing and aura surrounding the age traveled to. I think this is already an excellent read for me.
Dana Youngblood
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

NetMassimo wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 14:33 Ancient deities and heroes from myths are archetypes who resonate with us regardless of the age in which they were created. However, that makes it difficult for me to think of anyone particularly standing out, also because there are several significant characters despite the fact that the story is told from Nina/Nimue's point of view. Of course, this is very subjective.
I really like how you brought up archetypes in writing. Most characters fall under one archetype, no matter what genre is being written. I agree that there are a lot of significant characters throughout this book. Nina/Nimue obviously stand out as the book is from their point of view and mostly about them. However, Nimue would not be where she ends up if it weren't for Merlin, Gwyn, her daughter, and many other characters. Thank you for your thoughts!

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”