Discuss Nimue: Freeing Merlin

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Re: Discuss Nimue: Freeing Merlin

Post by Laney K »

I quite enjoy books that are based on legends. I enjoy seeing how authors take this well-known figures and put their own spin on them.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Regardless of the time period in which they were established, ancient deities and mythical heroes serve as archetypes that still speak to us today. However, since there are multiple noteworthy characters despite the fact that the story is told from Nina/Nimue's point of view, it's tough for me to think of anyone in particular standing out. Of course, this is highly individualized.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

i enjoy books where characters are based on mythological creatures and are present within the story and in a different time.
i always loved Bram Stoker's Dracula. A mythological legend where Dracula presents himself in another country and time in search of his lost love.
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Caroline Anne Richmond wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 06:10 i enjoy books where characters are based on mythological creatures and are present within the story and in a different time.
i always loved Bram Stoker's Dracula. A mythological legend where Dracula presents himself in another country and time in search of his lost love.
I am a big fan of Bram Stoke's Dracula, I'm currently reading "Nightlord Sunset" by Garon Whited - hoping it wil be something unique in terms of the storyline! Anything vampire is always fun for me!
PanwarP
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-panwarp.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by PanwarP »

It gives the Arthurian narrative a captivating contemporary spin. It guides viewers on a magical voyage of self-discovery through Celtic mysticism through excellent narrative. For those looking for inspirational stories that capture both the head and the spirit, this outstanding book delivers insightful and spiritual reading.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

Morgen strongly reminded me of Hera from Greek mythology with her one-sided love towards Merlin. Even when Nina met Morgen during modern times, Morgen still possessed a cold and intimidating aura, much like how Hera is usually described.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Searching for Zen by Albert T. Franklin

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

Authors often draw upon mythological characters to infuse their modern creations with depth, symbolism, and universal themes. They might adapt archetypal traits, struggles, or narratives from myths to craft relatable characters that resonate with contemporary audiences. By doing so, they tap into the enduring power and resonance of ancient stories.

For example, Neil Gaiman's novel "American Gods" is a notable example. Gaiman weaves together various mythological figures, bringing them into a modern American context. Each character reflects their respective mythological origins while also embodying contemporary concerns and challenges.

Similarly, Madeline Miller's novel "Circe" takes the Greek mythological character Circe and reimagines her story in a way that explores themes of power, transformation, and identity, making her relatable to a modern audience.

By blending elements of myth with the complexities of modern life, authors create characters that offer insights into human nature, desires, and struggles, allowing readers to find connections between the ancient and the contemporary.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: MURDER On Big Stony Lonesome by Frederick Poss

Post by Anu Anand »

In "NIMUE: Freeing Merlin," Nimue's character is a great example of this. She's got that cool mythical vibe and strength, just like in ancient legends, but the author also makes her feel like a real person dealing with something modern. It's like they mixed the old and new to make her more interesting and relatable. It's awesome how authors can take ancient stories and make characters we can connect with today.
Sian Versweyveld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sian-versweyveld.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Sian Versweyveld »

Authors like to use their various interpretations on ancient deities and myths. I like that this author used modern and ancient times, which made the story more compelling. The author did a good job of making the characters relatable as well. It was definitely an interesting story to read.
“The mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Kebun Bunga wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 04:56 Mythological characters are rarely one-dimensional; they have strengths and weaknesses. This complexity allows modern characters to feel more real and relatable. Readers can see their own imperfections and virtues mirrored in these characters. Mythological characters often embody universal themes such as heroism, sacrifice, and destiny. By incorporating these themes into modern characters like Nimue, authors make their struggles and journeys relatable to contemporary readers.
exactly and i feel like authors use these mythological characters to kinda give people a fantasy of what they could be or want to be in an alternative world, since they are fictional the author can build them however he wants and if he was smart enough he would build them in a realistic way relatable to modern-day characters and give them a slight twist to feel unique and more special so people can fascinate over, like harry potter he was a normal young boy but he was the only who survived the deadliest curse and spell in the magic world
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

I remember loving mythology as a kid so it's really refreshing to read modern retellings of ancient tales or stories that feature these familiar characters. It makes me want to dive back into more of these books.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: MURDER On Big Stony Lonesome by Frederick Poss

Post by Anu Anand »

The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan is a perfect example of modern mythological retelling. It takes the timeless stories of Greek mythology and cleverly transports them into the present day, allowing readers, especially young adults, to connect with the characters and themes in a relatable context.
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT: Mastering AI Conversations for Beginners by Malcolm Oppenheimer

Post by Hy Be »

I really loved the plot. As I am fascinated by mythology, I found this book very iinteresting.Each supporting characters played interesting role in the book.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I enjoyed seeing some of the more minor characters coming through as mythological creatures in the modern world. For example, Nina's father a representation of Bacchus, her mother as Diana the huntress, and uncle Blaise being an embodiment of Jupiter. All the named characters in the present linked back in someway to the mythological characters. I'm always pleased when I see this kind of mirroring.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I really liked the concept Nina being a reincarted version of Nimue. I just wish there was more from Nina's perspective. I'm not the most knowledgeable person on mythological facts but Merlin is a story I grew up around and I enjoyed how the author created a new version of Merlin through Nimue.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”