Lilac Roses

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Lilac Roses

Post by Olga Markova »

Visiting London for the first time in her life, the first thing Nina wanted to do was to buy lilac roses. Do you think that this desire had a magical symbolism to it?
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I didn't think of that possibility as I was reading, but lilac roses are associated with eternity or long life, so maybe they were referencing her many different lives.
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

That's such an interesting point you raise! The author seems very well-versed in the topic so I don't doubt she'd know the symbolism of the roses but I also wonder what she was intending when she included it...
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

Maybe the author knew that lilac roses are associated with eternity and gave importance to this minute detail. I also recall another incident from the book where Nina struggles to find the entrance to Ganieda's house. She then walks around the garden and notices lilac roses again and takes a moment to appreciate their fragrance. The perfume of the flowers seems to heighten her perceptual awareness, and eventually, she discovers the door.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I didn't give it much thought while reading the book, but now it seems like symbolism that the Lady of the Lake bought flowers, associating her with nature.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

Anu Anand wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 06:26 Maybe the author knew that lilac roses are associated with eternity and gave importance to this minute detail. I also recall another incident from the book where Nina struggles to find the entrance to Ganieda's house. She then walks around the garden and notices lilac roses again and takes a moment to appreciate their fragrance. The perfume of the flowers seems to heighten her perceptual awareness, and eventually, she discovers the door.
I didn't catch that. That is such a great interpretation.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

Anusha Thatavarthi wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 01:45
Anu Anand wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 06:26 Maybe the author knew that lilac roses are associated with eternity and gave importance to this minute detail. I also recall another incident from the book where Nina struggles to find the entrance to Ganieda's house. She then walks around the garden and notices lilac roses again and takes a moment to appreciate their fragrance. The perfume of the flowers seems to heighten her perceptual awareness, and eventually, she discovers the door.
I didn't catch that. That is such a great interpretation.
Thank you, Anusha! It's these subtle details in books that make reading so enjoyable. It's like finding hidden treasures in the story. :techie-studyingbrown: :)
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse III by David Edmond
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 155%

Post by Runan »

The author of Nimue is very detailed and meticulous. Since lilac roses are symbolic of long life, eternity and happiness, she used them to hint at Nina’s time travel and the many lives she leads to find herself and her quest for happiness.
Runan
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

This detail passed me by when reading. Thanks for pointing out the possibility :-)
Dana Youngblood
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

I did not realize the symbolism in her desire to find lilac roses. After reading through these responses, I definitely think they were in there intentionally. I wish I had known that going in to the book, they would have felt more significant than just a high school student wanting something pretty. Thank you all for sharing their meaning, it really helps bring it all together in such a subtle way!
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I had never heard of lilac roses, so to me this did turn out to be a foretelling of Nina having some connections to her past self. I think our subconscious remembers a lot of our past lives and they arise in a similar way.
Sara Rispo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-rispo.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Sara Rispo »

It is undeniable that the desire expressed in the book holds a certain magical symbolism. As the story progresses, it becomes increasingly clear that this desire serves as a means for the reader to comprehend Nina's deep connection with nature. The book emphasizes the importance of nature, and this realization only reinforces the message that the author is trying to convey.
"Please, my dear, don't burn yourself to keep them warm".
Somtochukwu O Ezeme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somtochukwu-o-ezeme.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Somtochukwu O Ezeme »

Lilac roses are associated with long life so it is most likely that her spirit is bringing her close to her life mission.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

Lilac roses symbolize eternal life. I've been going with the flow of the book and didn't pay much attention to that detail. So, I didn't initially think that lilac roses had a connection, but now I suspect the author might have incorporated some significance.
Enjani Matendeko
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

While still starting the book, I didn't think so. I felt she just wanted some color in her life. But, eventually, I had a rethink. She's somehow connected to nature, she probably felt its pull from her origin.

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”