What are some other myths or legends you'd like to see with a modern retelling?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Re: What are some other myths or legends you'd like to see with a modern retelling?

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

Catalina Isabel wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 00:43 I would love some around Greek mythology, and also of Maui - living in New Zealand, I hear a lot about Maui's stories but all books I've seen are aimed at children.
That would be awesome. Although it would be quite difficult to decide what to start with, isn't it? That guy was busy!
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

Anusha Thatavarthi wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 10:04
Nele Ma wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 07:00 I would like to read a modern retelling of Zeus and Hera. I know that there are many books on modern Greek stories but I haven't yet found a good story about the two of them...
True. There is always Hades and Persephone but never Zeus and Hera. Maybe because they are boring old married couple.
Old yes, but boring? They were absolutely crazy (as soon as you go slightly away from Disney's version). Just a book about the "gossiping" of Zeus would be more interesting than many soap operas!
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

Carlos Mata Saenz wrote: 04 Nov 2023, 08:26
Catalina Isabel wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 00:43 I would love some around Greek mythology, and also of Maui - living in New Zealand, I hear a lot about Maui's stories but all books I've seen are aimed at children.
That would be awesome. Although it would be quite difficult to decide what to start with, isn't it? That guy was busy!
Yes, he was very busy!! There would be lots of stories to work with at least 😊
Gee-Q Mdluli
Currently Reading: Adventures of Uncle Billy and Ross
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-q-mdluli.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Gee-Q Mdluli »

It would be pretty cool to see updated versions of characters like Prometheus and Pandora from Greek myths. These guys got into some pretty interesting situations, and their stories could have a real edgy and modern twist to them. Imagine Prometheus dealing with technology and Pandora causing chaos with a mysterious box in today's world!
Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Neha Panikar »

I'd love to see Sita's sister, Urmila's character being told in the modern context. I'm inspired by her story told by Kavita Kane. Her progressive thinking along with her relationship with Lakshman, would give terrific competition to any modern day love story today!!
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

Amy Luman wrote: 13 Oct 2023, 10:45 What about Oedipus? I realize that this was written by a very famous an successful author, but I would like to see how all of the intricacies would play out now.
Oh yeah! I'd also love to see a retelling of Oedipus Rex by Sophocles.

I don't remember the exact storyline, but he realized much later that he is his wife's son and his wife is actually his children's mother as well as grandmother.

Gosh! It's one of the most tragic tragedies I've ever read.
Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Neha Panikar »

I would definitely like to see Nimue and Merlin and the entire story transpire before me, even if it means having to time travel!! :D :D
If the "Song of Ice and Fire" can become a series (aka Game of Thrones), why can't this book??
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

I always admire the Greek mythology there's a lot of magic woven within their stories. But on the condition of creating a good plot and sequential interesting events, because there are many modern models, but most of them are stereotypical and not enjoyable.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

There are many myths and legends that I would love to see in a modern adaptation.
Right now, I think that I would mainly like to see or read about the myths of ancient civilizations, but the primary ones, the ones that drew in caves, and made figures on stones and megalithic monuments. From a global point of view and the possible meaning of why they all have similarities with each other.
Sbitan Mohammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbitan-mohammad.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Sbitan Mohammad »

I would love to read a retelling of the legend of King Arthur, Merlin, and the Knights of Camelot. I don't know how it would present but I'm sure it'll be interesting.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Dalia Chf »

I would really like if there was a more contemporary retelling of Dante's stories and characters. I remember really loving it back in school, so it would be so cool to read a retelling of it again!
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

Nele Ma wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 07:00 I would like to read a modern retelling of Zeus and Hera. I know that there are many books on modern Greek stories but I haven't yet found a good story about the two of them...
I have read so many stories on Greek mythology but I agree with your take on a retelling of Zeus and Hera. It will be quite interesting to find the right fit.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

[*]
Gee-Q Mdluli wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 01:44 It would be pretty cool to see updated versions of characters like Prometheus and Pandora from Greek myths. These guys got into some pretty interesting situations, and their stories could have a real edgy and modern twist to them. Imagine Prometheus dealing with technology and Pandora causing chaos with a mysterious box in today's world!
I agree with you! A twist with Pandora causing chaos in today's world coupled with technology would be really interesting
Jevonte Malik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jevonte-malik.html

Post by Jevonte Malik »

Definitely the Norse gods.. Marvel movies have told the stories wrongly over the years, and I just feel the need for a (modern) retelling. I don't have any of the particular gods in mind, or maybe just all of them.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Amandaruth Ama wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 06:26 Scheherazade's Arabian Nights - Famous for stories within stories, this collection from the Middle East could be modernized with Scheherazade as a blogger or podcaster relating fantastical modern tales interwoven with her own story of staying alive. The frame narrative device would adapt well.
Yes I agree with this. What a great idea! Scheherazade and the One Thousand and One Night could be modernized. I wonder why there aren't adaptations about this yet (at least that I know of).

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”