What did you think of the plot?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jevonte Malik
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jevonte-malik.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Re: What did you think of the plot?

Post by Jevonte Malik »

I like the plot, how interesting it was. The author didn't rush it, it just unfolded on its own. However, the ending wasn't what I expected. I can say I was a bit disappointed. Just a bit.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: Lucky the Poochipug by Howard & Pat London

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

I believe that the plot is centered in Celtic and Greek mythologies and this makes the book stand out. Generally a unique book with outstanding writing style.
Carli Siegfried
Currently Reading: Chasing Failure
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carli-siegfried.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Carli Siegfried »

This was a very well-researched book, and I enjoyed reading about legends that I had not had the pleasure of reading prior. I thought it was interesting how the book was plotted out into different parts, and I found that it helped me understand the storytelling. I was not expecting the ending of the story, and I felt that it was original. There are a lot of connecting threads and symbolism throughout the story that were clever additions.
Melissa Morton Miller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-morton-miller.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Melissa Morton Miller »

I thoroughly enjoyed the plot. The journey that Nina took to discover herself was intriguing. She had to find inner strength as she gained knowledge about herself and the task she had to accomplish. The way the author developed her character as she completed her metamorphosis kept me interested in the story and wondering what was going to happen next. The detail and the interaction between the characters made this a wonderful book to read!
Mari Inez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-inez.html
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant

Post by Mari Inez »

Im still finishing the book but somfat it is interesting. I like how the book is split into parts but the first part fell flat to me.
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Independence Corrupted by Charles Benjamin Schudson

Post by Harty Muli »

The basic idea of the time travel plot which involves Nana a modern woman discovering that she's in fact Nimue and going back in time is like other time travel books. But it's interesting because we get to learn about the people and the lifestyle in a fifth century time setting.
Alex Russell 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-russell-5.html
Latest Review: The Object of My Affection by Cynthia A. King

Post by Alex Russell 5 »

Dana Youngblood wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 17:55 It felt rushed at the end when she became Nina again. It was like she saw who she was and came back to Nina only to end the book. There was not much about what she wanted to do with the knowledge and information of who she is.
I agree that the ending wasn't as strong as the main body of the book and felt rushed in comparison. Nimue was such a well-developed character, but I didn't get the same impression from Nina. I would've liked to see the author play more with the differences between the two, as well as the differences between the two timelines, or else focus solely on Nimue.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

I value the incorporation of mythology and spirituality in the narrative. Nina, the main character, embarks on a journey to her mother's hometown in England to delve into her roots. The portrayal of the family theme in the story captivates my interest. Notably, ancient legends and history are intricately woven into the narrative.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”