Who do you think should have been held accountable?

This is the October 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the October 2023 Book of the Month, "The Impossible Mock Orange Trial (Ted Born Courtroom Series Book 1)" by Thad G. Long.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=468791

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Who do you think should have been held accountable?

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Each party pled their case and had the evidence to back them up. I do have to be honest: at first, I was shocked at the verdict. Everyone had the potential to win or be at fault; it came down to who pled their case the best.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
PanwarP
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-panwarp.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by PanwarP »

I believe that nearly everyone bears some of the guilt. Even if I haven't finished reading it, not everything is the fault of another person, regardless of who you are.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Inspirational Love by Vernon John Sinnott

Post by Jane Honda »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion for me I wouldn't put the balme on someone I think everyone is responsible.
Chioma Oz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chioma-oz.html
Latest Review: Flowers of Evil by N.L. Holmes

Post by Chioma Oz »

It's crucial to ensure all passengers are securely buckled up before starting the vehicle, and as a responsible driver, I consistently remind my passengers to fasten their seatbelts.
Mary O Dougherty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-o-dougherty.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Mary O Dougherty »

I am firmly in the camp that while somebody has fault for the accident, it's not either of the defendants. It's hard to say without additional information - is the Logos van often involved with accidents with out-of-control circumstances? I like the theory very very briefly mentioned that maybe the tire didn't blow out at all - maybe the damage to the belt is due to an impact after the back end of the van raises and falls after hitting the tree. Either way, totally tragic. But an old tire with bad maintenance isn't really a strong case for Universal being liable. In the earlier chapters Sam does say the van has always driven bad. We as the audience also got the extra question of the damage from the concrete thing outside the dentist's office... nobody seems immediately at fault except Bess.
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Post by Rob Carr »

I don't think it was the fault of the tire when you look at the full details around it. There was definitely some driver issues and I felt like there was hints of potential fault in the van which it didn't go into enough to be sure. Ultimately, accidents like this are going to happen and there will always be contributions from many people to them occurring. There should be Government systems in place for people to get the help and support they need after an accident rather than relying on legal cases to hold one party accountable.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

I think that both Judge James Gray and the people who tried to influence the trial should be held accountable. Judge James Gray was the one who ultimately decided the outcome of the trial. He was presented with the evidence, and he chose to ignore it. He also allowed the government to introduce prejudicial evidence and testimony. The people who tried to influence the trial also played a role in the miscarriage of justice. They tried to pressure witnesses, and they tried to bribe the judge.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman

Post by Robert Andrew »

In my view, all of them should be held accountable as each neglected their duties in one way or another. This is my opinion.
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 18:35 Vehicle owners are responsible for maintaining their vehicles, including regular tire checks. Drivers are responsible for driving carefully and making sure they have mastered the type of vehicle they are driving. The vehicle should only have started moving once all passengers were buckled in safely. As a driver, I always remind my passengers to wear their seatbelts.
I definitely agree with you. Especially with kids, you can never be careful enough. Maybe I am a little over-anxious around cars, but most people don't realize how dangerous they are if not used cautiously.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

Though I haven't finished the book yet, given that the tire was six years old and had covered approximately 60,000 miles, I don't believe the tire manufacturer should be deemed responsible for the 'faulty' tires.

It's crucial to note that no one in the vehicle was wearing seatbelts.

If the vehicle was not maintained properly, the owner should have let the passengers or, at least, the driver know so she could take precautions before hitting the road. On the other hand, shouldn't the driver check the vehicle's condition without being prompted?

I'm uncertain at this point. I'll have to wait and see.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Papi, Por Favor! by Rossana Snee

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

There were undoubtedly some driving difficulties, and although the van wasn't examined in detail, I thought there might have been some potential problems. In the end, incidents such as these will occur and numerous individuals will always play a part in them. Rather than depending on court battles to hold one side accountable, there should be government procedures in place to enable people obtain the support and assistance they need following an accident.
sanjeev maurya
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjeev-maurya.html
Latest Review: Crime Healer by Patrick A. Davy

Post by sanjeev maurya »

I am currently reading this book, but I do have some thoughts still.
I don't think there is just one right person or wrong person, it depends on whose perspective you are approaching things.

Maybe I am wrong, I am still reading this book. Will give my views once done with it.
Bron Bakers
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bron-bakers.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Bron Bakers »

Accidents are bound to happen from time to time. I don't think it's necessary to point fingers. It is better to make the roads better.
JennFinney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennfinney.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JennFinney »

I definitely agreed with the verdict. But I feel that Bess was at fault for not requiring the children to wear seatbelts and driving over the speed limit. I feel that Sam Johnson was at fault for not properly maintaining his vehicle, then lending it out to his niece to drive.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Papi, Por Favor! by Rossana Snee

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

I think almost everyone is partially to blame. Regardless matter who you are, not everything is the fault of someone else, even though I haven't completed reading it.

Return to “Discuss "The Impossible Mock Orange Trial (Ted Born Courtroom Series Book 1)" by Thad G. Long”