Who do you think should have been held accountable?

This is the October 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the October 2023 Book of the Month, "The Impossible Mock Orange Trial (Ted Born Courtroom Series Book 1)" by Thad G. Long.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=468791

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Mighty Esox
Bookshelf Size: 778
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Billionaire's Runaway Bride by Emery Cruz

Who do you think should have been held accountable?

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I will not give away the verdict in this book, but in your opinion, who do you think should be held accountable for the death and injuries? For one, there were faulty tires; two, no one was using seatbelts; or three, the vehicle's owner? Or do you have another alternative?
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Jacob Mamman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

Oh no I can't really say. I am still currently reading this book and we'll give an honest answer when I'm done with it.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

This is a question I love because I have not finished reading the book but EVERYONE could be found guilty depending on the perspective and the arguments you give. There is no right or wrong answer, and this is something that happens in both books and reality, whoever ends up being more convincing and has the most substantial arguments can convinced anyone of their innocence and someone else's guilt.
Kathy Smith 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy-smith-16.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Post by Kathy Smith 16 »

No spoilers, I will just say I agree with the jury.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: A Summer with the Hermit King by William Todd
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 93%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I did not agree with the ending. I felt that the other party should have won. There was a little bit of blame on all sides. The tires should have been maintained. The children should have been in there seats, secured with seat belts and the driver should have driven more carefully as she had never driven a van before. I can’t explain more without giving the ending away.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Buikem Kasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buikem-kasia.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Buikem Kasia »

This is a difficult one. Besides, I'm still reading the book. However, I would like to hear who you'd blame. Looking foward to your answer.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale
fav_author_id: 2379
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 175%

Post by Salah bourouba »

Sonia_Gonzalez wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 08:31 This is a question I love because I have not finished reading the book but EVERYONE could be found guilty depending on the perspective and the arguments you give. There is no right or wrong answer, and this is something that happens in both books and reality, whoever ends up being more convincing and has the most substantial arguments can convinced anyone of their innocence and someone else's guilt.
I definitely agree with you, to be fair I think the driver, and the person who was suppose to keep the tires maintained are to blame, you can't blame the kids in this case because they are too young to realize or know the gravity of the situation, there for mostly everyone envolved is to blame
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1025
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that almost everyone shares in the blame. I haven’t finished reading it yet, but no matter who you are not everything is someone else’s fault.
Terrine Wild
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lakaka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Terrine Wild »

At the end of the day, I think the blame should go round. They all neglected their duties in one way or the other. They should all be held accountable.
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Kebun Bunga »

Without knowledge of the specific details of the case presented in "The Impossible Mock Orange Trial" by Thad G. Long, it's challenging to determine who should be held accountable for the death and injuries. In such cases, accountability is often determined by a number of factors, including negligence, responsibility, and the nature of the incident.

The following elements appear to have played a part in the accident, according to the information provided:
Faulty Tires: If faulty tires were the cause of the accident, the tire manufacturer or distributor may be held accountable for delivering a defective product.
Seatbelts: Those who were not properly connected could face criminal prosecution if no one was wearing a seatbelt. However, the laws and regulations of the jurisdiction where the occurrence happened apply.
Vehicle Owner: If the vehicle owner was active in maintaining the vehicle and ensuring it was in safe operating condition, they may bear some liability.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

Amy Luman wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 07:14 I think that almost everyone shares in the blame. I haven’t finished reading it yet, but no matter who you are not everything is someone else’s fault.
I'm in the same boat as you, Amy. It's difficult to point the finger since I think all parties share some of the responsibility for what happened. I'll have to read more details and see if I agree with the final verdict.
Jacob Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

I really can't say anything for now, still reading the book.
Angie Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1093
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

I do not have a lot of grace for parents or guardians who do not secure their children with seat belts. That said, I don’t know how you could blame anyone else when you clearly neglected your duty as a parent. Furthermore, I felt like Sam Johnson was also at fault for allowing them to drive the van when he had not maintained the tires.

I didn’t see any proof that Universal Tires should be held accountable. I think they produced a good tire that lasted a long time. If the van owner had maintained the tire and replaced the tires when necessary, the accident could probably have been prevented.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Vehicle owners are responsible for maintaining their vehicles, including regular tire checks. Drivers are responsible for driving carefully and making sure they have mastered the type of vehicle they are driving. The vehicle should only have started moving once all passengers were buckled in safely. As a driver, I always remind my passengers to wear their seatbelts.
Kathy Smith 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy-smith-16.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Post by Kathy Smith 16 »

Angie Fernandez wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 11:48 I do not have a lot of grace for parents or guardians who do not secure their children with seat belts. That said, I don’t know how you could blame anyone else when you clearly neglected your duty as a parent. Furthermore, I felt like Sam Johnson was also at fault for allowing them to drive the van when he had not maintained the tires.

I didn’t see any proof that Universal Tires should be held accountable. I think they produced a good tire that lasted a long time. If the van owner had maintained the tire and replaced the tires when necessary, the accident could probably have been prevented.
Angie, this is exactly how I feel. Bess made a lot of poor choices as the driver responsible for everyone's safety, including deciding to speed down that last stretch of road. I don't think the speed limit is mentioned, but it was probably nowhere near the 65 mph she went!

Return to “Discuss "The Impossible Mock Orange Trial (Ted Born Courtroom Series Book 1)" by Thad G. Long”