Did you feel you could identify with the characters, and were they authentic?

This is the October 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the October 2023 Book of the Month, "The Impossible Mock Orange Trial (Ted Born Courtroom Series Book 1)" by Thad G. Long.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=468791

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Did you feel you could identify with the characters, and were they authentic?

Post by Scott »

This is a discussion forum topic for the November 2023 Book of the Month, The Impossible Mock Orange Trial by Thad G. Long.

Did you feel you could identify with the characters, and were they authentic in your opinion?

November Book of the Month.jpeg
November Book of the Month.jpeg (4.81 MiB) Viewed 1433 times
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Jacob Mamman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

Yes, in my opinion I think the characters were authentic and I feel I can identify them.
Jacob Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

For some reason I could really relate to the characters, maybe it's because I come from a family that deals with law cases. I guess maybe that is it. I also feel the characters were authentic, well developed and well written.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

Yeah I could really relate to the characters in this book, most of them felt they had been unfairly dealt and sought redress in a court of law.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

Identifying with the young lawyer, John Doe, was easy—he felt authentic. It's natural for a less experienced professional to face underestimation, and his impressive opening statement at the courthouse proved them wrong. However, this success seemed influenced by his upbringing.

On the other hand, Jack Ripps and Fred Bates struck me as less authentic characters. They didn't fulfill the expected lawyer role and relied on superstitions, assuming the ruling would favor them based on past outcomes, rather than conducting thorough research.
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Post by Rob Carr »

Francis Kapola wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 07:59 Identifying with the young lawyer, John Doe, was easy—he felt authentic. It's natural for a less experienced professional to face underestimation, and his impressive opening statement at the courthouse proved them wrong. However, this success seemed influenced by his upbringing.

On the other hand, Jack Ripps and Fred Bates struck me as less authentic characters. They didn't fulfill the expected lawyer role and relied on superstitions, assuming the ruling would favor them based on past outcomes, rather than conducting thorough research.
I thought the same. The characters seemed believable for me except for Jack Ripps and Fred Bates. They seemed too much like stereotypical bad guys and I didn't feel like the way they behaved was justified enough by a consistent underlying personality.

I would have liked to see more development of some of the characters through the book. I felt like Dave Thompson and Ted Born had some consistent development through the book but other characters either didn't progress or progressed all at once when the trial was over.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

Rob Carr wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 16:07
Francis Kapola wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 07:59 Identifying with the young lawyer, John Doe, was easy—he felt authentic. It's natural for a less experienced professional to face underestimation, and his impressive opening statement at the courthouse proved them wrong. However, this success seemed influenced by his upbringing.

I thought the same. The characters seemed believable for me except for Jack Ripps and Fred Bates. They seemed too much like stereotypical bad guys and I didn't feel like the way they behaved was justified enough by a consistent underlying personality.

I would have liked to see more development of some of the characters through the book. I felt like Dave Thompson and Ted Born had some consistent development through the book but other characters either didn't progress or progressed all at once when the trial was over.
It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone in having these feelings toward the characters.
Paavni Jain
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Paavni Jain »

The main character is David Walker, a young and ambitious lawyer who takes on the case of Mock Orange, a tire manufacturer accused of causing a fatal car crash that killed and injured several African American children. David is confident and determined to win the case, but he also faces pressure and doubts from his boss, his colleagues, and his family. He also develops a romantic interest in Lila Jones, a journalist who is covering the trial and who has a personal connection to the victims. The book also introduces the characters of Judge Samuel Lee, who presides over the trial and who has a reputation for being fair and impartial; Dr. Roberta Lee, a forensic expert who testifies for the defense and who is the judge’s estranged wife; Marcus Johnson, a civil rights activist who leads the protests against Mock Orange and who is Lila’s brother; Frank Carter, the CEO of Mock Orange who is arrogant and ruthless; and Raymond Lewis, the prosecutor who is determined to prove Mock Orange’s guilt and who has a personal vendetta against David. The book portrays the characters as realistic and flawed, with their own motivations, emotions, and secrets. The book also explores the themes of justice, race, and corporate responsibility, and how they affect the characters and their decisions. The book has received positive reviews from readers who praised the author’s realistic and suspenseful writing style, and who said they could identify with the characters and their struggles.
Wemby Jordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wemby-jordan.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Wemby Jordan »

I could relate to the adversities some of the character int he book faced. David had a huge task which he tried his best to accomplish.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

It was quite easy to identify with the characters and they came across as very authentic.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by Zainab Wasif »

All the characters were well-developed, authentic, and realistic. I can relate well to the main character, David, who has to prove himself. His struggle and the pressure he faces are authentic.
Shiru Elizabeth
Currently Reading: The Riddle of Alchemy
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiru-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: From Flames to Valor by Jose L Berrios

Post by Shiru Elizabeth »

Maybe since I came from a legal background, I could relate to the characters on a deeper level for some reason. Maybe that's it, I suppose. Additionally, I thought the characters were well-written, realistic, and well-developed.
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

I haven’t read a lot of books that made me feel the characters were authentic but this book was something else and I must give the author his accolades
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

Maybe since I came from a legal background, I could relate to the characters on a deeper level for some reason. Maybe that's it, I suppose. Additionally, I thought the characters were well-written, realistic, and well-developed.

Return to “Discuss "The Impossible Mock Orange Trial (Ted Born Courtroom Series Book 1)" by Thad G. Long”