(Spoiler Alert) How did you like the ending?

This is the October 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the October 2023 Book of the Month, "The Impossible Mock Orange Trial (Ted Born Courtroom Series Book 1)" by Thad G. Long.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=468791

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

(Spoiler Alert) How did you like the ending?

Post by Scott »

This is a discussion forum topic for the November 2023 Book of the Month, The Impossible Mock Orange Trial by Thad G. Long.

How did you like the ending?

November 2023 Book of the Month.jpeg
November 2023 Book of the Month.jpeg (4.94 MiB) Viewed 1386 times
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Kathy Smith 16
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy-smith-16.html
Latest Review: FLAIL (Published on Amazon) by Peter Anthony Fitzgerald

Post by Kathy Smith 16 »

I mentioned in a spoiler free thread that I agree with the jury. I appreciate their struggle to logically determine a fair verdict while emotionally wanting to support the victims of the accident. One of the jurors, Jimmy Washington, sums it up best when he says, "I knew in my mind already the defendants weren't guilty. It was just my heart, that's all. My heart went out to 'em." This insight into the jury's minds and hearts highlights a struggle of conscience that I think defines humanity and makes the ending more impactful.

I only wish Fred Bates received some type of punishment as a stereotypical, money-hungry lawyer with no real compassion for others. He pushed the lawsuit and manipulated those he was representing, then rode off into the sunset.
Jacob Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

Still reading the book, will comment when I'm done reading
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 237
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: The Mission by Tara Basi

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

In my opinion Fred should have faced some Legal Consequences: like disciplinary action from the legal authorities, potentially leading to the suspension or revocation of his law license. This would prevent him from practicing law and representing clients.
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Post by Rob Carr »

I liked the ending. It came to a good place with how jurors came to their verdict and reconciling the emotions of some of the main characters. I agree with the other commenters though that it felt like Fred Bates and Jack Ripps got away with too much and there should have been some consequences for them.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Paavni Jain
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Paavni Jain »

The ending of the book is a surprise twist that reveals the true identity and motive of the author. The last piece in the book is a redactive poem that erases most of the words from the author’s introduction, leaving only a few letters that spell out a shocking message. The message is a confession of a crime that the author committed, and an explanation of why he wrote the book as a way of expressing his guilt and remorse. The message also hints at the author’s plan to end his own life, as a final act of atonement. The ending is a stunning and unexpected conclusion to the book, that challenges the reader’s perception of the author and his work. The ending is also a clever and creative use of the redactive form, that shows the author’s skill and mastery of the visual poetry genre. The ending is a powerful and memorable finale to the book, that leaves the reader with a mix of emotions and questions.
Sbitan Mohammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbitan-mohammad.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Sbitan Mohammad »

I love what I've read so far... I'm currently about to read this book, this ending propels me further. Thank you.
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajain12 »

The conclusion pleasantly surprised me, especially the revelation that the mock orange was a genetically modified real orange by the defendant's company. The protagonist's resolution of identity struggles and the embrace of peace with family conveyed a powerful message: the impossible can be possible, and justice can triumph unexpectedly.
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I liked the ending. I felt that the jury came to the right conclusion and, in the same spirit of brotherhood that we find throughout the story, the defense lawyers and the family that lost their daughter are united in front of the mock orange tree. I think that the story leaves us on a note of compassion and hope.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island

Return to “Discuss "The Impossible Mock Orange Trial (Ted Born Courtroom Series Book 1)" by Thad G. Long”