What's your opinion on the legal justice system as presented in this book?

This is the October 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the October 2023 Book of the Month, "The Impossible Mock Orange Trial (Ted Born Courtroom Series Book 1)" by Thad G. Long.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=468791

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion forum topic for the October 2023 Book of the Month, The Impossible Mock Orange Trial by Thad G. Long.

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (3.68 MiB) Viewed 814 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

It showed an almost accurate account of our justice system, the trial experience, the conversations between lawyers and their clients and so much more.
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Post by Rob Carr »

It showed up the potential for wrongful verdicts in the legal system. It felt like a strange choice between no financial support for the plaintiffs or a multimillion dollar settlement from the dependents.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Mary O Dougherty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-o-dougherty.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Mary O Dougherty »

Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 02:38 It showed an almost accurate account of our justice system, the trial experience, the conversations between lawyers and their clients and so much more.
I'm interested in that "almost" - as someone with no legal experience, it felt genuine enough. It seemed like a reasonable way for lawyers to push their clients to do something illegal ("I'm not telling you to go bribe the jury, that's illegal, but what if there was something in it for them, too?") and it seemed feasible on the other side, with the defense lawyers running multiple cases.
Dea Ann Bridegroom
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dea-ann-bridegroom.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Audible Edition) by E L Neve

Post by Dea Ann Bridegroom »

It showed me justice ultimately prevails. A client should not be awarded for their injustice of the law. I was introduced to the meaning of a mock trial. It is there to determine the outcome of the actual trial hearing.
Benny Rach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benny-rach.html
Latest Review: Dollarhide by R.W. Frazier

Post by Benny Rach »

The book highlights the ways in which the legal system can be influenced by factors such as race, power dynamics, and the pursuit of justice. It raises important questions about the fairness of legal proceedings, the impact of bias and prejudice, and the limitations of the system in addressing systemic issues.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics by Shannon Duncan

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This book serves as a compelling reminder that the widely acknowledged saying, "there is no perfect system," remains applicable even within the legal sphere. Through its thought-provoking narrative, the book prompts readers to contemplate the imperfections and areas in need of reform within the justice system. It also sheds light on the challenging choices and dilemmas confronted by individuals engaged in legal proceedings. Reading this book helped solidify my understanding that the legal system, like any other, is not without its flaws and calls for ongoing evaluation and improvement.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse III by David Edmond
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 155%

Post by Runan »

I felt there were loopholes in the legal justice system. The trial was interesting and kept me glued till the end of the book. The bias also felt unfair at one point because we seek justice when we approach the legal justice system. The author presented the trial really well.It was an accurate representation of the judicial system.
Runan

Return to “Discuss "The Impossible Mock Orange Trial (Ted Born Courtroom Series Book 1)" by Thad G. Long”