A Dark Theme For The Site (Resolved)

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

A Dark Theme For The Site (Resolved)

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Could we maybe get a second theme for the site? It would be nice if we had a dark theme option in addition to the default option.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Yes. This sounds great! Just like Facebook, Twitter, etc.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 107%

Post by John Owen »

I agree, it would be great for night times when we don't need a bright UI.
I think @Scott will consider that when redesigning the site.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

That is a great idea! I am on this website at night most of the time and a dark theme would definitely help with eye strain.
David Metimba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-matimba.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by David Metimba »

For a readers' site I think this one is overdue. A dark mode/night mode theme would make navigating the site a lot easier when I'm lying in bed at night. Pretty please consider this :(
"One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time."

Carl Sagan :techie-studyingbrown:
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

That would be an awesome add-on! The dark theme is easier on the eyes! Love the Kindle dark theme, can read into the night without worrying about the light disturbing my parter (very light sleeper)!

You have my vote for this 💪
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

Ooh, dark theme is a fantastic idea! All my apps are on dark mode, so that would be a fantastic addition :)
Areeba M
Currently Reading: Vicious
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areeba-m.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areeba M »

I think a dark theme would be an excellent addition. I would personally love if that feature will be added on here.
BlueSally
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by BlueSally »

I agree; I'm a newb here, but I use dark themes whenever they're available and it would be great for this, too!
JackDaydream
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JackDaydream »

TopaAzul062 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 13:02 Could we maybe get a second theme for the site? It would be nice if we had a dark theme option in addition to the default option.
Some dark theme may have a gothic feel but it would really need to be some kind of shade. That is because it is the blue light which can actually damage the retina. I think about this because I do have some eye problems and have wondered if it is because I use my phone late at night. I do try to adjust the brightness on it and reduce time on it, especially in the night because the light may also contribute towards insomnia.
Anastasia Atkinson
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Anastasia Atkinson »

I think that would be an excellent idea, considering the times I work on reviews are always incredibly late at night. I read all my books on the dark mode using kindle, since the white always ends up hurting my eyes after a long period of time. The thing that piqued my interest involves the accent colors to the site. Would the dark mode keep all the blue tabs and such, or would they think of changing it into its own full theme? Maybe the usage of a deep blue, like midnight blue instead of the lighter blue that is present now, would be interesting to see.
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

I think that would be a great idea having a dark theme. But would be help make the site more simplistic or complicate things?
10715313ff
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10715313ff.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by 10715313ff »

That would be great, all other apps on my phone are on dark theme. I'd love it if this is considered.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Kaleidoscopic Shades
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

Reading from the comments, I can see that most of you are for the dark theme. I can ask Scott to do that but, for reference, do you know of any website with a dark theme mode (where you can switch from normal to dark). I'm asking because I've only seen apps with this feature. I've never come across any websites with the same. If anyone knows of a website I can use for reference, it will help very much. Thank you.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

JM Reviews wrote: 27 May 2022, 03:06 Reading from the comments, I can see that most of you are for the dark theme. I can ask Scott to do that but, for reference, do you know of any website with a dark theme mode (where you can switch from normal to dark). I'm asking because I've only seen apps with this feature. I've never come across any websites with the same. If anyone knows of a website I can use for reference, it will help very much. Thank you.
I and some other members prefer a light theme, so maybe it is better if a member can choose which theme they want.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”