Should we rate the content in books like we do with movies?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Roxanneward
Favorite Book: The Rule of Four
Currently Reading: A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 7

Should we rate the content in books like we do with movies?

Post by Roxanneward »

Should there be a national standard for rating books like movies? Do people have a right to know what material is in a book before they buy it, especially if the book is for a child?
Here are some things I have experienced that have brought this concern to my attention.

As a reader, I have purchased books that have material that I do not want to “have in my head”, so purchasing a book is a risk without in-depth research. Hey, I’m lazy too sometimes, but it still angers me to spend money without information about what I’m buying.
As an author and a retired middle school teacher, Twice, I have had my book mislabeled, by two different outlets, without my permission, as appropriate for 13 to 18. If it was rated like a movie, the content would fall well within the R rating.
As a 20 year teacher of this age group, I guarantee that a majority of these parents would be livid if books like mine were suggested reading material.
The argument I found was it require a review which adds time and expense, but authors could rate their books themselves using the already in place movie ratings. The criteria is readily available and quite clear. It would be in an author’s best interest to be truthful to their readers.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Roxanneward wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 10:53 Should there be a national standard for rating books like movies? Do people have a right to know what material is in a book before they buy it, especially if the book is for a child?
Here are some things I have experienced that have brought this concern to my attention.
Hello!
A national standard would be a nice thing to have, actually, although I can not quickly figure out how this could be achieved. Do you have an idea?
Wishing you a good day!
Kirsi
LilySisyphus
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilysisyphus.html
Latest Review: Bombora by Paul Drewitt

Post by LilySisyphus »

I think that, while something important to consider, it's hard to create a standard for the content of a book. Would hinting at/alluding to something be the same as stating it outright? Would bigotry be considered something to note and rate, or would it just be cautioned against? What about the various differences in upbringing across different cultures and communities? Rating systems are inherently flawed devices created by a specific group of people for a certain demographic only, and so standardizing them may lead to a plethora of issues.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

That's actually a really good idea. I am honestly a bit surprised that it hasn't already been adopted. We even have them on video games and warnings on music but nothing on books. As Lilly mentions it could create issues and possibly cause headaches across cultures; however, I think that it's something worth considering. Perhaps, a warning should be required for such things as sex, violence, drug/alcohol use, cursing, etc. And maybe a suggested age range.
Melisa Jane
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

Tonia Freeman wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 09:58 That's actually a really good idea. I am honestly a bit surprised that it hasn't already been adopted. We even have them on video games and warnings on music but nothing on books. As Lilly mentions it could create issues and possibly cause headaches across cultures; however, I think that it's something worth considering. Perhaps, a warning should be required for such things as sex, violence, drug/alcohol use, cursing, etc. And maybe a suggested age range.
Hello.

Thank you for the insight. This is very well-thought. I agree that this is long overdue. I wonder why the contents aren't rated.

Thank you.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”