How to Tell Serious Review Offer from Scam [resolved]

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

MarkDeanStratus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

How to Tell Serious Review Offer from Scam [resolved]

Post by MarkDeanStratus »

Hi, everyone. As a first-time, self-published author who is learning how to promote my book and get sales, I've received e-mail offers from people offering to provide reviews and promote my book (e.g., on Amazon, Goodreads, Facebook). How do I tell who to take seriously and who is running a scam? Is there a list of reviewers or reviewer organizations that I can check before paying someone for a promised review(s) or promise of putting book in front of thousands of reviewers/readers/bloggers? Any other advice (aside from improving the book itself, on which I'm already working based on feedback from OnlineBookClub reviews)?

Separately, I might be able to benefit from an experienced, published author as a mentor who can help me navigate the waters of writing/promoting/selling my first e-book, but I don't know who to ask (genre: Hard sci-fi/action-adventure/outer space/other worlds/clean-no erotism). Have already done Book-of-the-Day and need to decide where to go from here. Suggestions for a mentor?
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

MarkDeanStratus wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 22:51 Hi, everyone. As a first-time, self-published author who is learning how to promote my book and get sales, I've received e-mail offers from people offering to provide reviews and promote my book (e.g., on Amazon, Goodreads, Facebook). How do I tell who to take seriously and who is running a scam? Is there a list of reviewers or reviewer organizations that I can check before paying someone for a promised review(s) or promise of putting book in front of thousands of reviewers/readers/bloggers? Any other advice (aside from improving the book itself, on which I'm already working based on feedback from OnlineBookClub reviews)?

Separately, I might be able to benefit from an experienced, published author as a mentor who can help me navigate the waters of writing/promoting/selling my first e-book, but I don't know who to ask (genre: Hard sci-fi/action-adventure/outer space/other worlds/clean-no erotism). Have already done Book-of-the-Day and need to decide where to go from here. Suggestions for a mentor?
Hi.

Thank you for reaching out. Apart from onlinebookclub reviews, I'm not sure of any other credible review organizations. However, since it's against Amazon policies to pay for reviews posted on Amazon, those who need you to pay them to leave Amazon reviews for your book are probably scammers.

I'm not sure about the mentorship part, though, so I'm going to foward this to my manager, Sarah, who will advise further.

Thank you.
Melissa.
Official Reviewer Representative
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Esther Ogbonna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Esther Ogbonna »

Please how do l take my 5$ bonus, account number is not requested anywhere
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Esther Ogbonna wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 12:31 Please how do l take my 5$ bonus, account number is not requested anywhere
Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. All payments are sent via PayPal to the email address provided on your Preferences tab here-
review-team/preferences.php

Please let me know if I can assist you further.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”