Suggestion on How to Solve Username Conflicts During Verification

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Suggestion on How to Solve Username Conflicts During Verification

Post by John Owen »

I've more than once read on the forums about reviewers who either:

a) share their official name with someone else and their username on OBC was already claimed. Since no two users can share usernames, and they therefore can't update their username on OBC when someone else already has it, their Facebook profile can't be verified.
b) their username on Facebook has special characters or similar problems
c) wish to maintain their privacy and don't want to use their official names as their OBC usernames

To solve this, I think an additional field can be made on the UCP that has the reviewer's official names that's different from the normal username. This information wont be viewed by anyone else but the user and authorized staff eg., Admin, moderators, etc. This information can then be used to verify their Facebook profile.
This enables reviewers who have username conflicts, problems, or privacy concerns to still verify their Facebook profile while keeping their usual username. It's how I see sites like Upwork, Fiverr, Facebook, etc operate.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Jessica Cole 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-cole-3.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Jessica Cole 3 »

John Owen wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 13:11 I've more than once read on the forums about reviewers who either:

a) share their official name with someone else and their username on OBC was already claimed. Since no two users can share usernames, and they therefore can't update their username on OBC when someone else already has it, their Facebook profile can't be verified.
c) wish to maintain their privacy and don't want to use their official names as their OBC usernames

To solve this, I think an additional field can be made on the UCP that has the reviewer's official names that's different from the normal username. This information wont be viewed by anyone else but the user and authorized staff eg., Admin, moderators, etc. This information can then be used to verify their Facebook profile.
This enables reviewers who have username conflicts, problems, or privacy concerns to still verify their Facebook profile while keeping their usual username. It's how I see sites like Upwork, Fiverr, Facebook, etc operate.
Great suggestion. I'm not sure why that wasn't already an option. Hopefully, they see this and can implement this in the near future.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

John Owen wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 13:11 I've more than once read on the forums about reviewers who either:

This is a great suggestion. One that will save a lot of people from stress. I, for instance, verified my Facebook name before trying to get it to match my username, which was impossible because the system noted that someone was using the exact name as mine. Although I feel this is a glitch, because I have searched with the website's engine and have found no one with that profile, implementing your suggestion will help tackle this tricky situation.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry for the delayed response. I appreciate your valuable suggestion; however, I have a doubt. I can see this will solve the issue for those who do not want to share their real names for privacy reasons. But for members who have the same name, this issue will still remain because the system will reject it just like it does now. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Have a great day.

Thank you.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 12:26

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry for the delayed response. I appreciate your valuable suggestion; however, I have a doubt. I can see this will solve the issue for those who do not want to share their real names for privacy reasons. But for members who have the same name, this issue will still remain because the system will reject it just like it does now. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Have a great day.

Thank you.
No, there won't be a problem. The explanation may be a little technical but I'll think over it and give a more detailed explanation soon.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

Hi John.

Thank you for reaching out. I already added a similar suggestion to the internal to-do list. However, it has not been considered. You can vote for the suggestion here: https://onlinebookclub.canny.io/suggest ... -usernames

Thank you,
Melissa
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”