A bit of a complaint [resolved]

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Larry Moon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larry-moon.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

A bit of a complaint [resolved]

Post by Larry Moon »

Dear Online Book Club Administrators,
If my memory serves me correctly, I joined your Review Team in March. I went to mark the first book read 14 days after downloading it, but it was too late, and my effort was marked unfinished. The review of the second book that I read was given a score of 6 because I did not notice that half the text was italicized, and there were a few minor grammar mistakes. That review was rejected. Since then, I've had five or six reviews published with various scores. I've successfully requested a re-review twice. And on my last review, I could have requested another re-review but declined, not wanting to put a burr under the saddle of those who score the reviews. And then today, lo and behold, the very first book I reviewed, which was rejected, was published. Here is my consternation... I received no money for reviewing that book because it was the first one I read. And again, the score was only a 6. I've been trying to rise above a reviewer score of 1. I'm a retired, older gentleman who doesn't have much of a social media presence except for Facebook. But my reviews are quality work. Nothing on the History page lets one know that the review was written in March and that it was my first attempt. And the score of 6 will no doubt weigh me down for months as I strive to improve my reviewer rating. Would it have been better if the review would have remained rejected? I don't know. But I do know that a score of 6, appearing to be a score for the last book I read, although it was the first book I read, will not help my reviewer rating. What do I have to do to rise above a 1 rating?
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 203
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: My Yellow Brick Road by Patrick J Roelle Sr. / Mr. Pat

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Larry Moon wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 17:02 Dear Online Book Club Administrators,
If my memory serves me correctly, I joined your Review Team in March. I went to mark the first book read 14 days after downloading it, but it was too late, and my effort was marked unfinished. The review of the second book that I read was given a score of 6 because I did not notice that half the text was italicized, and there were a few minor grammar mistakes. That review was rejected. Since then, I've had five or six reviews published with various scores. I've successfully requested a re-review twice. And on my last review, I could have requested another re-review but declined, not wanting to put a burr under the saddle of those who score the reviews. And then today, lo and behold, the very first book I reviewed, which was rejected, was published. Here is my consternation... I received no money for reviewing that book because it was the first one I read. And again, the score was only a 6. I've been trying to rise above a reviewer score of 1. I'm a retired, older gentleman who doesn't have much of a social media presence except for Facebook. But my reviews are quality work. Nothing on the History page lets one know that the review was written in March and that it was my first attempt. And the score of 6 will no doubt weigh me down for months as I strive to improve my reviewer rating. Would it have been better if the review would have remained rejected? I don't know. But I do know that a score of 6, appearing to be a score for the last book I read, although it was the first book I read, will not help my reviewer rating. What do I have to do to rise above a 1 rating?
Hello Larry,

And thank you for reaching out. I am sorry for the inconvenient experience. The score is counted from the last 30 scored reviews, so with the time, the impact of this one review will decrease. I understand your frustration, but my advice to you would be to not take it too seriously. Concentrate on enjoying the books you read, and the rest will follow with the time. If you have a suggestion for improvement regarding this or any other topic, please do let me know; I'd be happy to hear them.

Thank you, and have a good day,
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”