More Notification Options

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

More Notification Options

Post by Jagiine »

Hey,
I think it would be useful to split the "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed" notification option into 2. It would be better to have an option for topics you've manually subscribed to and an option for topics you've created. It currently seems that I get subscribed to any topic I either create or reply to. Frankly, I do not want to receive a notification about every reply to every topic that I post in. However, it is nice to be notified when someone comments on my topic so that I can keep up with the conversation and respond with my gratitude for his/her contribution.

Alternatively, when posting a topic or reply, there could be 2 submission buttons to choose from: 1) Submit 2) Submit and Subscribe.

These are the most convenient ways I can think of to fix the issue of being over-notified, but there are others.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You can deselect the "Notify me when a reply is posted" button on the Full Editor & Preview screen before you submit your initial post or reply to a post if you do not want to receive any notifications for that thread. I hope this helps! :tiphat:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Jagiine wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 17:17 Hey,
I think it would be useful to split the "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed" notification option into 2. It would be better to have an option for topics you've manually subscribed to and an option for topics you've created. It currently seems that I get subscribed to any topic I either create or reply to. Frankly, I do not want to receive a notification about every reply to every topic that I post in. However, it is nice to be notified when someone comments on my topic so that I can keep up with the conversation and respond with my gratitude for his/her contribution.

Alternatively, when posting a topic or reply, there could be 2 submission buttons to choose from: 1) Submit 2) Submit and Subscribe.

These are the most convenient ways I can think of to fix the issue of being over-notified, but there are others.
rssllue wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 17:56 You can deselect the "Notify me when a reply is posted" button on the Full Editor & Preview screen before you submit your initial post or reply to a post if you do not want to receive any notifications for that thread. I hope this helps! :tiphat:
:text-yeahthat:

You can also edit your board preferences to reflect what you want notifications for, and you can edit the type of notifications as well (email, on-site notification, etc.). :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Well said, Gravy. 8)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

rssllue wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 17:56 You can deselect the "Notify me when a reply is posted" button on the Full Editor & Preview screen before you submit your initial post or reply to a post if you do not want to receive any notifications for that thread. I hope this helps! :tiphat:
I know that this is an option, but that means having to remember to go beneath the submit button to uncheck the box which isn't always something I (and many other people, I'm sure) remember. Once I spend a significant amount of time thinking through, wordsmithing, and editing my posts, I'm excited to submit it. I am suggesting an easier way to do things, rather than having to set things for each and every conversation I join.
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Gravy wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 19:37

You can also edit your board preferences to reflect what you want notifications for, and you can edit the type of notifications as well (email, on-site notification, etc.). :tiphat:
Yes, and I have done that. But, I would appreciate more customization. The options do not actually fit what notifications I want to choose between.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Jagiine wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 16:31

Yes, and I have done that. But, I would appreciate more customization. The options do not actually fit what notifications I want to choose between.
I'm not sure what you mean.

You can achieve exactly what you asked about by setting your preferences to not be notified by default and only subscribing to the topics you want notified for.

Sorry if I'm missing something. :tiphat:

Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Gravy wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 18:53
Jagiine wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 16:31

I'm not sure what you mean.

You can achieve exactly what you asked about by setting your preferences to not be notified by default and only subscribing to the topics you want notified for.

Sorry if I'm missing something. :tiphat:
The one difference is the process of "subscribing to the topics you want to be notified for." It's possible as a separate step (depending on how you define a "step") currently. I am merely offering a suggestion that it would be a bit easier if it were not a separate thought from submission.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I actually like that suggestion. When I first signed up, I got notifications for every thread I'd commented on, per the defaults. Then I figured out how to make "off" the default. But now, when I do want to subscribe to a topic, I have to remember to manually go below the submission box and subscribe. And since I always use 'Full Editor & Preview', it's an extra step/click because it's not on this page. Whereas if we had two buttons - one saying "Submit" and the other saying "Submit and Subscribe" - we could more easily make a determination per topic.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I see the difference now. Thank you.

I can't say that I have any real preference where that's concerned, but Scott may be happy to change it. Just tag him here and he'll see it.
(Tagging works via the bbcode now, just put his name in the bbcode for italics and replace the i's with the word mention.)

Also, I just remembered...there is another way to subscribe to a topic without ever even having to post.

Under the options for full editor and submit are the options for 'post reply' and two drop menues.
The menu with the wrench icon will allow you to subscribe, bookmark, etc. without having to navigate away or really do anything.

I know it's not the same, but just in case it helps. :tiphat:

Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

MsTri wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 16:43 I actually like that suggestion. When I first signed up, I got notifications for every thread I'd commented on, per the defaults. Then I figured out how to make "off" the default. But now, when I do want to subscribe to a topic, I have to remember to manually go below the submission box and subscribe. And since I always use 'Full Editor & Preview', it's an extra step/click because it's not on this page. Whereas if we had two buttons - one saying "Submit" and the other saying "Submit and Subscribe" - we could more easily make a determination per topic.
Thank you for your thoughts, MsTri. That is precisely what I experience.
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Gravy wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 02:09 I see the difference now. Thank you.

I can't say that I have any real preference where that's concerned, but Scott may be happy to change it. Just tag him here and he'll see it.
(Tagging works via the bbcode now, just put his name in the bbcode for italics and replace the i's with the word mention.)

Also, I just remembered...there is another way to subscribe to a topic without ever even having to post.

Under the options for full editor and submit are the options for 'post reply' and two drop menues.
The menu with the wrench icon will allow you to subscribe, bookmark, etc. without having to navigate away or really do anything.

I know it's not the same, but just in case it helps. :tiphat:
Thanks, Gravy. I get that it doesn't make a difference to you, but I appreciate you taking the time to understand my POV and teach me how to get Scott here.
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

@Scott
Is this a feature you'd be willing to add?
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Jagiine wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 17:46 Scott
Is this a feature you'd be willing to add?
Thank you for asking me. However, I actually let the moderators as a team choose what features we add or not, and they keep a running to-do list for me of features to add or other changes to make to the website.

I don't monitor the Suggestion Box myself because if I spend the time fielding the suggestions and deciding which ones to implement, I won't have the time actually program the new features and implement them.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Scott wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 11:20 Thank you for asking me. However, I actually let the moderators as a team choose what features we add or not, and they keep a running to-do list for me of features to add or other changes to make to the website.

I don't monitor the Suggestion Box myself because if I spend the time fielding the suggestions and deciding which ones to implement, I won't have the time actually program the new features and implement them.
Ah, who knew!? That is very reasonable. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”