Do you celebrate Halloween? (Oct '23)

For October 2023, we will be reading Halloween/Spooky Tales books!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Do you celebrate Halloween? (Oct '23)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Since this month's genre discussion are books that are related to Halloween and/or spooky tales, I was curious who actually celebrates Halloween?

If so, do you have any traditions that you enjoy participating in?

If not, are there other holidays or even traditions that you participate in this month?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

We do celebrate Halloween! 🎃 It’s not as big as Christmas, but we decorate, carve pumpkins, create Halloween crafts, make Halloween treats, and of course trick-or-treating! 👻
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Angie Fernandez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1083
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

When our children were younger, our neighborhood was full of kids. Everyone went trick-or-treating, parents would build bonfires in the backyards, and houses were decorated to the hilt. Now there a very few small children left in the neighborhood, but we still carry on the tradition by participating in trunk-or-treat at our church.

I enjoy decorating our car in a new theme each year and dressing up in costumes. It also brings me joy to provide dinner, treats, and prizes to children who might not have otherwise celebrated Halloween. I also look forward to carving pumpkins and making caramel apples with my grandchildren one day : )
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Angie Fernandez wrote: 12 Oct 2023, 19:46 When our children were younger, our neighborhood was full of kids. Everyone went trick-or-treating, parents would build bonfires in the backyards, and houses were decorated to the hilt. Now there a very few small children left in the neighborhood, but we still carry on the tradition by participating in trunk-or-treat at our church.

I enjoy decorating our car in a new theme each year and dressing up in costumes. It also brings me joy to provide dinner, treats, and prizes to children who might not have otherwise celebrated Halloween. I also look forward to carving pumpkins and making caramel apples with my grandchildren one day : )
Aww, I love that you had such fun Halloween traditions when your kids were younger! I never really had that growing up, so I'm doing my best to give my little ones a fun Halloween experience every year (I'm still fairly new!). Grandma (to my kids) on husband's side definitely enjoys participating in Halloween traditions with her grandchildren (our kids), so I'm sure you'll enjoy that too when you have grandchildren! She even went trick-or-treating with us last year!

Decorating your car every year sounds like a fun tradition, and I'm sure the children who may not celebrate Halloween that are given that chance by your generosity are very appreciative. It is very kind of you and there are always children who are in need.

Thank you for sharing! :)
Heidi

Sarah Manley
Currently Reading: Skyborn
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-manley.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Sarah Manley »

I am Australian and Halloween is not very big here. It is starting to become more popular. In my small town most of the businesses offer trick or treating instead of the houses and have made it a community event. I always loved the look of Halloween when I was younger, mainly cos I love dress ups, and am excited to take my 6 month old to our town event next week!

Return to “October 2023 Genre Discussion”