What did you think of the poems in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2023 Book of the Month, Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=525710

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Marina Flisvou
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Re: What did you think of the poems in this book?

Post by Marina Flisvou »

“Artwords” by Beatriz M. Robles is a unique book at how art and literature interconnect together. Particularly intriguing is Robles’ approach to calligrams. Such texts presented visually with an idea in words is beautiful; the words themselves are artifacts. Her calligrams are funny and challenging. They entice readers to revisit text through multiple interpretations. Every part of the work represents the ability to use visuals to accentuate language’s effect. Her poems are much more than just words in a page; they create tangible, palpable sensations that pull readers into an immersive realm of contemplation and affective rapport. Thus, “Artwords” is an affirmation that a voice can be loud without speaking.
Marina
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

On the contrary to some of the comments here, I enjoyed almost every poem in the book and I found the sexual metaphors quite amusing.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by britcott30 »

I always find poems have a lot of meanings behind it. We have to think about it twice, thrice, or even many times before we know what really the maker means. Sometimes it´s hard, sometimes it´s easy to understand. The case is same with this book, sometimes I find it´s hard to understand, sometimes it´s not.
Chidinma Dijeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chidinma-dijeh.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chidinma Dijeh »

The poems are fascinating and diverse, showcasing the author's creativity and innovation. The use of calligrams adds an extra layer of visual appeal, allowing the poems to take on unique shapes that complement their content. The integration of photographs as poems adds a tangible element to the collection, bridging the gap between visual and written art. The inclusion of reductive poems demonstrates a clever approach to found text, turning existing material into something entirely new and thought-provoking. Overall, the poems in this book offer a refreshing and imaginative exploration of the intersection between language and visual art.
Angus Zonny
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angus-zonny.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Angus Zonny »

The poems I the bookare well written. They are very diverse and their diversity showcases the author's skill.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Erikpume Victory
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikpume-victory.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Erikpume Victory »

This is my first time of coming across this kind of poetry but I think it might not be appealing to some sensitive readers because of its sexual content.
Indigenous Kin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indigenous-kin.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman
2024 Reading Goal: 120
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Indigenous Kin »

A few of the comments of misunderstanding of the poems. I guarantee you that when you build the habit of understanding poetry, you wouldn't find any info on earth hard to guess. Poetry is a tool for the strong mind. And I love artword. Was a great book.
If you want things to be different, perhaps the answer is to become different yourself.
:auto-biker:
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Crimeline Hollywood by Thomas Collins
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Laney K »

I enjoyed the collection overall. I did find the suggestive content to be a bit overdone after awhile, but it was still enjoyable to read.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Crimeline Hollywood by Thomas Collins
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Laney K »

britcott30 wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 05:49 I always find poems have a lot of meanings behind it. We have to think about it twice, thrice, or even many times before we know what really the maker means. Sometimes it´s hard, sometimes it´s easy to understand. The case is same with this book, sometimes I find it´s hard to understand, sometimes it´s not.
I agree that some of the poems were easier to understand than others. I think the found poetry with the circles were hard to understand at first.
Olive joy1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olive-joy1.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Olive joy1 »

I find that some of the poems are quite good, some are only passable, and some don't quite resonate with me. But poetry is all about it. The poems are written in such an intimate and personal way that even though their structure is a little off, they wind up being really good. I'm halfway through the book, and I'm enjoying it thus far!

Return to “Discuss "Artwords" by Beatriz M. Robles”