What did you think of the poems in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2023 Book of the Month, Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=525710

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the November 2023 Book of the Month, Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles.

Attachments
17 (1).jpg
17 (1).jpg (3.42 MiB) Viewed 1388 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Like in most books of poetry, some of these I loved, and some, tbh, I didn't want to finish reading. The sexual metaphors are a little too much in some of them. However, Kidding Around, while it appeared to be sexual in nature, ended up with an awesome ending and encouraged me to keep reading. I also found the ones where she'd just circled some words from existing texts a little harder to follow.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nancy004 »

Some of the poems are really good, some are just okay, and some don't quite do it for me. But that's what poetry is all about. The poems have an okay structure, but because they're written in such a personal and intimate way, they end up being pretty great. I'm halway through the book and so far I'm liking it!
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

I'm always sceptical in judging poems generally because just like art, its relatable to the beholder. Some of the poems stood out to me, some didn't frankly.
Ganeefa Karan
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ganeefa-karan.html
Latest Review: Saving KC by Grinnell Desjarlais

Post by Ganeefa Karan »

It's the first time that I'm indulging in calligram poetry, and I find it quite fascinating. I can deduce that it required prodigious effort to compose these poems, and they deserve notable appreciation. Although the sexual implications of some poems might deter sensitive readers, I have to applaud the author for the creative shift of thought that she impressively formulated.
Dana Youngblood
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

I did like the poems, however, I was surprised by a lot of them. I felt that the sexual nature of the majority of them was a shock. Once I realized that this was her style of writing, I was able to get into the poems a little more. I liked the poems about nature. My favorite was "Clouds of Comfort" because of the wording and the picture that it made. Poetry is definitely subjective and I felt that my personal thoughts got in the way at first. I became more open minded after reading a few and found that I liked the majority of them.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am not really a lover of poetry in any case, so just because I didn’t like it is no reason for me to judge. It wasn’t these poems in particular, but poetry in general. Most of it goes over my head.
EnclosedReviewer
Currently Reading: Artwords
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enclosedreviewer.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by EnclosedReviewer »

I didn’t started to read yet. I’ll do fist thing tomorrow. I’m reading a huge book for a review.
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

The poems were fifty-fifty to me. Some stood out, but most did not do it for me, and I can say some have been forgotten. But thah could be because I am not into poetry, but I had decided to give this book a chance.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Billionaire's Runaway Bride
Bookshelf Size: 768
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Newton Code by Liam Fialkov

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I found the author's writing style very confusing. I prefer straightforward poetry and not circled words.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 76%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I am not a fan of poetry, but I decided to give this book a try. Some of the poems were quite clever. You thought that you knew what the author was writing about, but it turned out that you didn't know the subject at all. About half, I would say, were sexual in nature and I would think, oh my, but then it turned out to be about something not sexual at all. Very good!
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Catherine Radford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-radford.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Catherine Radford »

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 21:27 Like in most books of poetry, some of these I loved, and some, tbh, I didn't want to finish reading. The sexual metaphors are a little too much in some of them. However, Kidding Around, while it appeared to be sexual in nature, ended up with an awesome ending and encouraged me to keep reading. I also found the ones where she'd just circled some words from existing texts a little harder to follow.
I struggled with this too! I wish each poem was written in the current format and then on a plain page after. I would find that a lot easier to read and still have the art/photography to refer back to for the full experience.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Catherine Radford wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 05:53
I struggled with this too! I wish each poem was written in the current format and then on a plain page after. I would find that a lot easier to read and still have the art/photography to refer back to for the full experience.
[/quote]

Yes Catherine, I agree with that too. I like the concept, but they were hard to read, maybe if they'd been side by side, the original and then your idea, they'd be easier to read and understand. Did you have a favorite one from the book in the end?
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

I have never loved poetry books at just first glance. Some seemed very nice and well written and I did notice some that took me a while to follow. Unlike the opinions here, I did enjoy the sexual metaphors used and in the end I would give it an A because most of the poems were great tbh.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

Some of the poems were sexual and I found them part scandalous and part delightful. Poetry is a way for the author to share their thoughts, and I mostly enjoyed the poems in this one.

Return to “Discuss "Artwords" by Beatriz M. Robles”