Aesthetic Choice vs Societal Pressure: Are Today's Pursuits of Perfection Alienating Our Authentic Selves?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2023 Book of the Month, Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=525710

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Homo Fix or Nix
Bookshelf Size: 411
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Aesthetic Choice vs Societal Pressure: Are Today's Pursuits of Perfection Alienating Our Authentic Selves?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

AND WHEN IT'S OVER, IT'S A GIRL'S SHEER
DELIGHT! MY FACE LOOKS LIKE SILK. I STARE
INTO THE MIRROR OF THE COMPACT AND THE
FOUNDATION POWDER HAVE ERASED MY EYE-
BAGS, COVERED MY FRECKLES, AND EVENED
MY SKIN TONE. PLUS, IT EVEN HID THE
MOLE I DON'T LIKE ON MY LEFT CHEEK.
FLAWLESS!
Smooth Strokes by Beatriz M. Robles

AI prompt : A lady standing in front of a mirror. On one side of the reflection, she appears with makeup, looking flawless. On the other side, she appears natural, with visible freckles and moles, looking at her perfect reflection. (Created using Dall-E 3)
AI prompt : A lady standing in front of a mirror. On one side of the reflection, she appears with makeup, looking flawless. On the other side, she appears natural, with visible freckles and moles, looking at her perfect reflection. (Created using Dall-E 3)
Image0001.png (843.33 KiB) Viewed 845 times

This excerpt propels us into a dialogue intertwining aesthetics and authenticity, reminiscent of Jean-Jacques Rousseau's reflections on natural human existence versus societal constructs. Rousseau, in his discourse, often lamented the facades humanity wears to adhere to societal expectations, which he saw as a deviation from our true, natural state.

In "Smooth Strokes", the act of applying foundation to create a 'flawless' appearance can be juxtaposed against Rousseau's notion of returning to a more 'natural' state of being. The 'flawless facade' here can symbolize the societal pressures to conform to certain standards of beauty, veiling our authentic selves in the process.

The persona's moment of delight as they behold a transformed reflection in the mirror invites us to reflect: Does this quest for aesthetic perfection, symbolized through the act of covering blemishes and attaining a flawless facade, echo Rousseau's critique of societal constructs that pull us away from our natural state?

In this aesthetic narrative laid out by Robles, how does the philosophical idea of authenticity versus societal conformity play out? And, as we traverse through the layers of aesthetic modulation in pursuit of perfection, what do we unveil about the inherent human desire to conform to external standards of beauty, often at the expense of embracing our authentic selves?
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Catherine Radford
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-radford.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Catherine Radford »

I often find friends who wear little or no make up look much more attractive that way then when they “dress pretty” often someone’s natural beauty is better than societies current beauty standards. We see now especially with social media quick changes in fashion, where as natural beauty will always be timeless.
Catherine Radford
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-radford.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Catherine Radford »

I often find friends who wear little or no make up look much more attractive that way then when they “dress pretty” often someone’s natural beauty is better than societies current beauty standards. We see now especially with social media quick changes in fashion, where as natural beauty will always be timeless.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Because of social media, influencers, friends, etc, we are told to look our best with makeup and dressing up. It is our decision whether we want to follow it or not because people put makeup for several reasons- it could because everyone else is doing it or because the person wants to or because the person wants to cover up their "flaws" so they are not made fun of.
Ganeefa Karan
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ganeefa-karan.html
Latest Review: Saving KC by Grinnell Desjarlais

Post by Ganeefa Karan »

Initially, people were mostly concerned about the younger generation when it comes to societal pressure; however, in our day and age, this, unfortunately, is a reality for most people, especially females. We see so many people around us who are afraid to live in their own skin. In my opinion, it became a societal plague.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

Absolutely, I believe the pursuits of perfection are alienating us from who we really are. And I'm pretty sure this is getting worse, especially with the influence of social media.
Wemby Jordan
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wemby-jordan.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Wemby Jordan »

Women are naturally beautiful. Putting on too much make up derails from that beauty. I prefer the light make up that enhances beauty not the ones that make you look completely different.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

Society puts inordinate importance on 'looking good'. A person should be able to feel good about how they look no matter what. However, should one appear in public with no make up they will be termed as plain. The pursuit of perfection in the eyes of the society can be quite a nuisance if you ask me.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Mbali Qalinge
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: He
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbali-qalinge.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Mbali Qalinge »

There is a lot of societal pressure to look good with no imperfections and make-up does just that. Women are indeed naturally beautiful but if it's their own decision to wear make-up just to look good for themselves and not society then that's great too.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

I find wearing make-up and maintaining my appearance allows me to be more authentic. When my external picture conforms more to what society wants and expects, people listen more to what I have to say. When I look tired or haggard, colleagues give less respect and weight to my words.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nancy004 »

When people put on perfect makeup, it's tricky—they might be showing their own style or just following what society says is beautiful. This makes us think: Are we doing this because we want to, or because we feel we have to? And is it making us lose touch with who we really are?
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Aditii Mehta »

I completely agree that the pursuits of perfection are alienating us from who we really are. The social media these days is the biggest influencer and people are afraid to show the world their real skin.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Searching for Zen by Albert T. Franklin

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

The narrative in "Smooth Strokes" appears to draw parallels between the act of applying foundation for a flawless appearance and Jean-Jacques Rousseau's critique of societal constructs. The 'flawless facade' can be seen as a metaphor for societal pressures shaping perceptions of beauty, potentially deviating from one's authentic self.

The delight in a transformed reflection may evoke questions about the balance between aesthetic ideals and authenticity. The exploration of aesthetic modulation suggests a tension between conforming to external standards of beauty and embracing one's true nature, echoing Rousseau's concerns about societal influences.

As we navigate through layers of aesthetic pursuit, the narrative prompts contemplation on the inherent human desire to conform and the potential cost of distancing oneself from authenticity in the quest for external validation and perfection.
Celestine Apiche
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celestine-apiche.html
Latest Review: Ituy by Taylor Willingham

Post by Celestine Apiche »

The tension between aesthetic choices and societal pressure raises questions about the impact on our authentic selves. While personal preferences contribute to individuality, societal expectations can sometimes lead to conformity and alienation from one's true identity. Striking a balance between self-expression and societal norms is crucial for maintaining authenticity in today's pursuit of perfection.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

While make up tends to give a confidence boost, I think it eventually breaks the authentic self as the person becomes more and more dependent on it. Makeup is definitely not wrong and small amounts of it enhance the beauty that already exists.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes

Return to “Discuss "Artwords" by Beatriz M. Robles”