What did you think of the poem, DESERTED? Is the customer always right?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2023 Book of the Month, Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=525710

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Crimeline Hollywood by Thomas Collins
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Re: What did you think of the poem, DESERTED? Is the customer always right?

Post by Laney K »

Having worked in customer service for many years it is clear that often times customers are not right. I think when they resort to screaming, it's clear they are wrong.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

Regarding the question of whether the customer is always right, it is a subjective topic that depends on various factors and contexts. In some situations, the customer's preferences and satisfaction may be prioritized, while in others, ethical considerations or a business's policies may take precedence.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: The Complete Guide To Gym Exercise by PRT Endeavors
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Damian Keyes »

In this poem, the customer was disrespectful and trying to inappropriately grab the waitresses butt. Of course, in this matter, the customer is wrong. The "always" in the phrase "the customer is always right" automatically denotes that this phrase cannot be true because no one is right. It was sad that the waitresses boss saw what was going on and said this phrase to her. My takeaways is to always choose morals over money.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Obsidian Tomorrow by Chad Wannamaker
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

Damian Keyes wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 22:56 In this poem, the customer was disrespectful and trying to inappropriately grab the waitresses butt. Of course, in this matter, the customer is wrong. The "always" in the phrase "the customer is always right" automatically denotes that this phrase cannot be true because no one is right. It was sad that the waitresses boss saw what was going on and said this phrase to her. My takeaways is to always choose morals over money.
Your interpretation of the question matches mine. The answer must relate to the plight of the waitress. The reaction from the boss magnifies complicity in the abuse the poetess wants to convey. Sadly, there was a time when laws did not protect women from the culture of workplace sexual harassment.

Having read several responses that generalize about business policies, it pains me to see the missed opportunities to call out the boss. Thank you for doing so. As I missed it in my post as well, my Appalachian granny would have told me, “If it woulda been a snake, it woulda bit 'cha.”
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Mari Thompson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

I thought the poem deserted was appropriate for the situation that was experienced by the server. I’ve known many waitresses that have had similar stories about working in the field of customer service.
Azuka Christian
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-christian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Christian »

I would say it depends on whose perspective. A customer would agree he's always right, on while this statement may be disagreed by another group of people.
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

Catherine Radford wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 08:23 If I’m the customer then yes the customer is always right. If I am customer support, then customers can be wrong.
Nice way to put it.
I think if we take it this way it affects equity and fairness. Right or wrong is not based on personal encounter or experience.
Right is right
Wrong is wrong
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Owuamanam Eberechukwu

Carol McCoy Phelps wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 22:38
Damian Keyes wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 22:56 In this poem, the customer was disrespectful and trying to inappropriately grab the waitresses butt. Of course, in this matter, the customer is wrong. The "always" in the phrase "the customer is always right" automatically denotes that this phrase cannot be true because no one is right. It was sad that the waitresses boss saw what was going on and said this phrase to her. My takeaways is to always choose morals over money.
Your interpretation of the question matches mine. The answer must relate to the plight of the waitress. The reaction from the boss magnifies complicity in the abuse the poetess wants to convey. Sadly, there was a time when laws did not protect women from the culture of workplace sexual harassment.

Having read several responses that generalize about business policies, it pains me to see the missed opportunities to call out the boss. Thank you for doing so. As I missed it in my post as well, my Appalachian granny would have told me, “If it woulda been a snake, it woulda bit 'cha.”
I also agree with you. Morals are morals. Abuse of any form shouldn’t be tolerated. We should help make the workplace safe and welcoming for everyone.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Owuamanam Eberechukwu

Laney K wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 06:08 Having worked in customer service for many years it is clear that often times customers are not right. I think when they resort to screaming, it's clear they are wrong.
Lol,
I like the conclusion it comes from the place of experience. But I don’t think all screaming means they are wrong. They may be startled or shocked.
Tracee Ellis Ross

Return to “Discuss "Artwords" by Beatriz M. Robles”