Sexual implications

Use this forum to discuss the November 2023 Book of the Month, Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=525710

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Apples Never Fall
Bookshelf Size: 560
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Sexual implications

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It didn’t affect my enjoyment of the book. I can see why some are saying it was repetitive and maybe be uncomfortable at times, but it was fine for me!
"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Dalia Chf »

I think it depends on how much you are used to reading sexual content. I don't think it is that bad or that scandalous, maybe it makes it less elegant in some cases, but it depends on the level of comfort each one has.
Indigenous Kin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indigenous-kin.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman
2024 Reading Goal: 120
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Indigenous Kin »

So I found explicit content but within the these content, you find important aspect to look over. And that's the most important thing to reconsider.
If you want things to be different, perhaps the answer is to become different yourself.
:auto-biker:
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: The Complete Guide To Gym Exercise by PRT Endeavors
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I'm all for artistic expression, so I know as a poet that as long as the sexual content is useful, then I do not have any complaints. Everything is about the context is which sexual innuendos are used and I believe the author was useful in his implementation of these moments.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by Laney K »

Kathy Smith 16 wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 13:32 I found the innuendos clever but overplayed. Of the 52 calligrams/photography poems, 37 were innuendos. I definitely did not like the innuendos that involved kids, like the one where the first half implied bondage, but it was just a little girl getting pigtails done before school.
I also agree that it was overdone. When I first started reading I figured many one or two would have this innuendo, but the majority did and it was stale by the time I finished reading the collection.
Sav Sparkman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sav-sparkman.html
Latest Review: Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

Princewill Uchenna wrote: 25 Dec 2023, 17:40 I dont not think so. Personally it did not affect the overall pleasure I had reading this book even though some readers will be uncomfortable with it.
I feel the same way. I can definitely see how these poems would make others uncomfortable, while I personally enjoyed them. I thought they were clever and interesting to read. The first few made me second guess whether I was imagining the innuendos and just had a dirty mind, or if the author was being intentional! That was a fun aspect to me. I tend to enjoy when authors tease their readers a bit.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller
Azuka Christian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-christian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Christian »

It didn't affect the book really much. Although it became less appealing due to little redundancy but other positive values of the book covered for it.
Dianë Godwill
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dian-godwill.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Dianë Godwill »

Not really, the sexual teasings made the book more interesting and kelt the reader more focused and wondering what the teaser would end up being as the poems concluded
Dem Dem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dem-dem.html
Latest Review: American Fools Day by Anthony Kishko

Post by Dem Dem »

I think I was a bit uncomfortable with the sexual scenes at times. Although I took upon the book with positive and open mind, it caught me off-gaurd some times and hence I can say that the sexual implications definitely reduced the quality of the book by slightest bit
Ije Bons
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ije-bons.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ije Bons »

I don't really think it does. I feel that it adds a lot of depth to the book. It takes away the boredom and brings it to life.
Jacy Covers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacy-covers.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Jacy Covers »

I had no problems with it. It is part of life and should be treated as such not shyed away from. It was great to read.
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Healthy Home Cooked Food for Your Dog by Denise Adamson

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

The sexual teasing in the book didn't make me uncomfortable; in fact, it added to the book's intrigue.

Return to “Discuss "Artwords" by Beatriz M. Robles”