What do you think of the use of calligrams and photographs in poetry as opposed to other traditional styles?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2023 Book of the Month, Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=525710

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

What do you think of the use of calligrams and photographs in poetry as opposed to other traditional styles?

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the November 2023 Book of the Month, Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles.

Attachments
10 (1).jpg
10 (1).jpg (3.39 MiB) Viewed 1102 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Shanesha Sammerson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Posthumous Remorse by Shepperd Rourke

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

The use of calligrams and photographs in poetry represents a departure from traditional styles, introducing visual elements to complement or enhance the written expression. Calligrams, with their visual arrangement of text, and photographs can add layers of meaning, fostering a more immersive experience for the reader.

These unconventional approaches can be powerful tools for conveying emotions, perspectives, and atmospheres. They engage the reader in a multisensory experience, breaking away from the constraints of purely verbal communication. However, the effectiveness depends on the poet's intent and the synergy between words and visuals.

Ultimately, the choice between traditional and visual styles in poetry is subjective and depends on the desired impact. Each approach offers unique opportunities for artistic expression and connection with the audience.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the Many
Bookshelf Size: 2295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

I think it adds another artistic layer and complexity. I am not really for or against using them, but if the author chooses to use them it should be done in a way that enriches the written word as opposed to just adding it for the sake of adding it or making the book more confusing to read.
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Angels on the Mountain by Thomas F. Todd

Post by Esther Deekor »

I think that the use of calligrams and photographs was a leap from the traditional style which makes the poem not only interesting t read but also easier to comprehend.
Celestine Apiche
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celestine-apiche.html
Latest Review: Ituy by Taylor Willingham

Post by Celestine Apiche »

It is a milestone from the traditional poetry.. Alot has been made realistic and charming in today's calligrams
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by Laney K »

I liked how creative the calligrams were. I did find them at bit confusing at first, however, it was a nice new experience for me.
Cryptic Spy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Cryptic Spy »

I think photographs along with poetry is a good idea. It will help the readers to understand the mind and feelings of the poet. What the poet was going through, etc.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: I Chose Me by John Marcus Brown

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Although traditional poetry forms offer their unique charm, introducing calligrams and photographs into poetry presents a dynamic and inventive method of poetic expression. This approach enriches the genre by merging visual arts with literary craftsmanship, thereby elevating the reader's experience for many. The term "many" is used here to acknowledge that a segment of the audience still holds a preference for classical interpretations and reading of poetry. Ultimately, the merit lies in one's ability to derive enjoyment and appreciation from their reading, without there being a definitive correct or incorrect way to engage with poetry.
Sav Sparkman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sav-sparkman.html
Latest Review: Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

Marie Chalupová wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 15:04 I think it adds another artistic layer and complexity. I am not really for or against using them, but if the author chooses to use them it should be done in a way that enriches the written word as opposed to just adding it for the sake of adding it or making the book more confusing to read.
I totally agree. When well executed, these types of poems can be very visually stimulating and add a whole new layer of meaning. At times, these poems can become too distracting with the visuals, or cause the poems to be difficult to read and therefore less enjoyable.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Discuss "Artwords" by Beatriz M. Robles”