My thoughts on this book- Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles, Whats your thoughts?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2023 Book of the Month, Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=525710

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
The_Priyans
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Golden Door
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-priyans.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Icon My thoughts on this book- Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles, Whats your thoughts?

Post by The_Priyans »

I read the book Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles, and I was amazed by the creativity and originality of the visual poetry. The author experiments with image and form to create a new kind of poetry that challenges the conventional boundaries of text and art. The book is also very colorful and eye-catching, with vivid images and fonts. The book is not very long, but it is very diverse and varied, with different themes and styles.
The book consists of three types of poems: calligrams, photographs, and reductive poems. Calligrams are poems that are written to take the shape of objects, such as a kite, a cupcake, or a pair of scissors. Photographs are poems that are written on or near objects and then photographed. Redactive poems are poems that are created by erasing or highlighting certain words or letters in a found text, such as a page from a novel, a newspaper article, or a letter.

I found the calligrams to be very playful and clever, using the form and the content of the words to create a visual impact. For example, the calligram “Playtime” is formatted to look like a kite, and the words describe the frustration of not being able to fly it. I also liked the photographs, which felt more like contemporary art pieces combining photography, sculpture, and poetry. They used the contrast and the connection between the words and the objects to create meaning. For example, the photograph “Pretty Tiring” is printed on a hair comb, and the words express the exhaustion of trying to look beautiful for someone else. The reductive poems were the most intriguing to me, as they used the process of deletion and selection to create a new message from an existing text. For example, the reductive poem “The Writing” is culled from a page of the novel A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve, and the words reveal a secret story of anxiety and distance.

I enjoyed reading this book, and I think it is a great example of how poetry can be more than just words on a page. It is a book that appeals to both the mind and the eyes, and it invites the reader to explore the possibilities of language and art. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes poetry, art, or creativity.
Celestine Apiche
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celestine-apiche.html
Latest Review: Ituy by Taylor Willingham

Post by Celestine Apiche »

I think Beatriz did an amazing job. All the poems in the book are catchy. They are all nothing but enjoyable.
Chidinma Dijeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chidinma-dijeh.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Chidinma Dijeh »

This is an insightful exploration of the intersection between art and language. Robles' approach to dissecting the meanings embedded in art through words is thought-provoking and offers a new perspective on visual expression. Her analysis is both accessible and deep, making it a valuable read for anyone interested in art criticism or the creative process.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Post by Martina Sette »

Totally vibing with "Artwords"! Super cool mix of art and language, although the cover could use a bit more pop.
Indigenous Kin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indigenous-kin.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman
2024 Reading Goal: 120
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Indigenous Kin »

Just an interesting book. With different diversity of themes. I liked the book but an aspect of the book concentrated on explicit content which does not fall with me.
If you want things to be different, perhaps the answer is to become different yourself.
:auto-biker:
Sav Sparkman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sav-sparkman.html
Latest Review: Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

Overall, I really enjoyed the concept of visual arts mixing with language arts. It led to an interesting and visually engaging reading experience. However I did find some of the poems to be difficult to read because the visuals were so overpowering that the words got a bit lost or jumbled.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller
Mari Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

I totally agree that this book showcases how poetry can be more than just words on a page. I loved the images that were in the backgrounds of some of the poetry. They were very colorful and flowed well with the rest of the theme of the book.
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Hodgson

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

The harmonious blend of language and art in this book paints vivid landscapes, making each poem a multi-sensory experience. It is a fascinating exploration.
Azuka Christian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-christian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Christian »

The author did a nice job in the poems. They each carried deep meaning leaving readers intrigued and thoughtful. I enjoyed reading the book

Return to “Discuss "Artwords" by Beatriz M. Robles”