Hope or denial?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Abiodunakinola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: ABCs for SATs by Elise MacArthur

Re: Hope or denial?

Post by Abiodunakinola »

Hope is different from wishing. If I am hoping that something will turn out good from something, that means I'm working hard to achieve that thing and I'm hoping for a successful outcome. That means hope is the fire that keeps me going.

But in terms of wishing, you are not working toward achieving something but only wishing, which may eventually not happen.

I don't like to wish, but I hope.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Artificial Intelligence Simplified by Denise Rane
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I believe for me wishing has always been with me no matter how much I'm hopeful. Luckily, since hope is a strategy I've realized that I have a lot to do to get out of this stage. I believe this will tremendously improve my well-being and overall performance, especially in setting goals and achieving them.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

Just today morning I was in denial. I wanted to be selected for a scholarship, but I could not get in. Instead of looking forward to other opportunities, I just wanted to find a novel to dunk in. Then I wrote down what I was feeling, and I was ready to move forward.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

Patel Khushi Manishbhai wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 07:38 Hope is a difficult thing. To hope is to have expectations, to want something that might or might not happen. Nevertheless, to hope is to live. To strive and keep on trying and it will be worth it even if it breaks your heart a little.

"It was like dying a little every day. It was like being alive, too. It was joy so complete it was pain. It destroyed me and unmade me and forged me. I hated it, because I knew I couldn’t escape it, and knew it would forever change me."
-----Sarah. J Maas

Hope is something that fuels the human mind. There is something about hoping on something that doesn't pan out. I have experienced it, and it felt like my whole world was ripped apart.
Chinenye Sus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Chinenye Sus »

NetMassimo wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 07:52 Hope can be tricky and the author clearly explained how to use it as an instrument to help our efforts and avoid using it as a denial of a situation that's actually hopeless or at least pointless.
Understanding hope as a strategic tool rather than a blind denial, one can harness its power for effective efforts while avoiding its misuse in futile situations. Balancing hope as a constructive force is key.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke
fav_author_id: 2540

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

Nenye Lauraa wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 08:07
Patel Khushi Manishbhai wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 07:38 Hope is a difficult thing. To hope is to have expectations, to want something that might or might not happen. Nevertheless, to hope is to live. To strive and keep on trying and it will be worth it even if it breaks your heart a little.

"It was like dying a little every day. It was like being alive, too. It was joy so complete it was pain. It destroyed me and unmade me and forged me. I hated it, because I knew I couldn’t escape it, and knew it would forever change me."
-----Sarah. J Maas

Hope is something that fuels the human mind. There is something about hoping on something that doesn't pan out. I have experienced it, and it felt like my whole world was ripped apart.
Ripped apart in a good way or a bad way? There are sometimes where we need to tear our seams and rip out our skins.
Ni_weh_sesh62
Nguavese Abeva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nguavese-abeva.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nguavese Abeva »

The author adeptly illuminated the nuanced nature of hope, emphasizing its role as a tool to bolster our endeavors rather than a means of denying genuinely hopeless or futile situations.
Surekha Krishnakumar
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surekha-krishnakumar.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by Surekha Krishnakumar »

I think it’s not easy to have hope at all times, as it might become just wishful thinking. Conscious hope and denial is like two sides of the same coin and they come hand in hand. It’s not a regular day if we don’t have a little bit of both as human beings with an active mind.
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: The Mission by Tara Basi

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

Earlier, I used to confuse between the two. But now I know what hope is and I know how to be hopeful even when everything falls apart around you. I have learnt that hope not only lets you be calm during difficult situations but it'll also help to keep a clear head and take decisions.
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Angels on the Mountain by Thomas F. Todd

Post by Esther Deekor »

I do this at times but I've never considered it as denial, but now I do realize that it really is denial. For me, that's the first thing that happens and I've always considered this as my own ay of fighting never realizing that I've been in denial.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I often find myself in denial of situations. There is often times even recently where I am constantly dreaming of a better place to be in life, when in reality the odds of everything just look incredibly bleak. The aspect of wishing can often reach a point of delusion when there's just no denying the faults of things that are present and all around.
Upphilan Paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

I came to realize that hoping to get what one wants is important as it keeps one on the path of anticipation and work.
Samina Moiyadi
Favorite Book: Unlight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samina-moiyadi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Samina Moiyadi »

Hope requires effort. There have been a few instances in my life where I was skeptical about putting in that effort and wished that things went how I wanted them to. But that never happens on its own. It is wisely taught to children in schools that 'God helps those who help themselves'.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

I have found myself in situations where I hope for something but don't act or work in it and in the end I either forget about it or I push myself really hard to complete it.
Bron Bakers
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bron-bakers.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Bron Bakers »

Hope can also be denial. It is a dangerous line and we should be realistic with what we hope for. It helps to manage our expectations.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”