Hope or denial?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Hope or denial?

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

“The difference between wishing and hope is that wishing is passive and hope is active. Wishing actually undermines one’s chances of success. Wishing is associated with resignation. When we’re confused or overwhelmed, a common defense mechanism is to withdraw emotionally and hope the problem will just go away. But that’s not really hope; in fact, it’s the opposite of hope. It’s denial.”

— Fireproof Happiness : Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope by Dr. Randy Ross
https://amzn.eu/hfV5FNP

Have you ever found yourself in this situation, hoping for something, but in reality, you're just in denial?

I think I often find myself at this point in the beginning. Something is going wrong and I'm hoping for things to change, but in reality, I'm not doing anything about it except for wishing. I had never thought of this being denial, but it makes perfect sense. I do quickly move on to deciding to actively do something about the situation, but it's quite regular that I will be passive at first.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke
fav_author_id: 2540

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

Hope is a difficult thing. To hope is to have expectations, to want something that might or might not happen. Nevertheless, to hope is to live. To strive and keep on trying and it will be worth it even if it breaks your heart a little.

"It was like dying a little every day. It was like being alive, too. It was joy so complete it was pain. It destroyed me and unmade me and forged me. I hated it, because I knew I couldn’t escape it, and knew it would forever change me."
-----Sarah. J Maas
Ni_weh_sesh62
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

Hope can be tricky and the author clearly explained how to use it as an instrument to help our efforts and avoid using it as a denial of a situation that's actually hopeless or at least pointless.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Out of the Uniform, back into civilian life
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

The author provided clear instructions on how to utilize hope as a tool to support our efforts rather than as a means of denying a situation that is, in reality, hopeless or, at the very least, meaningless. Hope can be a tough concept.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

My hope always comes when I desperately want to achieve something, and I often feel its presence with determination. Unlike wishing, it often comes when I know that something is a little out of reach. Perhaps this is close to what the author means here, and in both cases happiness is in the desire to continue, not just in wishing .
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

I agree that wishing is much more passive than hope. Hope comes with action. Hope, to me, is akin to faith and faith without work is often dead. So I agree with the author. I also practice the same in my life. Anything I hope for, I try to work hard for and hope the universe acts in my favor.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Reading this book has had me question a lot about myself. I used to use wish and hope interchangeably, but now I see that they're not the same. During the pandemic, many people around me were really suffering and found it hard to adjust to the stringent rules. In my case, I took it all in my stride and in the end, my life became better for it. It turns out I had 'hope' that it would end. I didn't realise it at the time, but now I do.

To answer your question, Jennifer, I think I'm more of a 'hoper' than a 'wisher' as I prefer to confront things head-on with a view to resolution rather than just 'wish it away'.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

There's a fine line between hope and denial and I often find myself at the wrong end of it. This book made me realise that and I believe I'll be more conscious of the difference between hope and denial from now on.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 76%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I am about halfway through this book, and so far, it has helped me immensely. I didn't realize the difference between hope and wish, but I do now. I don't think I am ever in denial concerning anything, but I will look into that and reassess my life. I am always hopeful, but sometimes, being hopeful is painful because you hope for things that don't manifest.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Dalia Chf »

I think this is a constant state of mind of a lot of people who are dreamers but at the same time procrastinators. Dreaming is easy, but then making your dream a reality is a whole other thing. Makes the world that much harder.
Oleabhiele Joseph
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oleabhiele-joseph.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Oleabhiele Joseph »

I’m much of a “night” daydreamer myself, whereby in the night, I analyze my day and look at every aspect that could have gone the way I wanted, and create a world in my head where those events actually occurred to my fancy. After tackling the day, I tackle the next day, and if I have a big thing coming up, something I really need good fortune to succeed win, I play out the events continuously from after I’ve won, so many times that by the time I sleep I’ve already crossed that hurdle and I’ve succeeded in whatever I wanted to do the next day. This is before it even happens. What will you call that? Hope, wishful thinking, or unconsciously programming reality by changing it first in my head, then in real life🤷‍♂️
“You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Rome, 161 AD -180 AD
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green

Post by Ika Apro »

I find it a little confusing to differentiate between the two most of the time. The book gave me a little more understanding of them.
Catalina Isabel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I usually actively look for ways to make what I am "hoping" for happen. It's good to see the difference between wishing and hoping. I hadn't really thought about it that way previously.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

I appreciate that the author defines hope as an active rather than passive response. Burying ones head in the sand and hoping something changes IS denial. Totally agreed! As painful as it is, we have to take action to make things change. Easy example - I commute into a city for work a few days per week. One evening, I was on another planet mentally, and I left my laptop on my work desk in the city. I got home 45 minutes later and went, "DOH!" Denial Emily would have thrown herself into bed and hoped that her laptop would magically transport itself to her. Hope Emily had to take some action - by getting in the car and DRIVING BACK TO THE OFFICE.

It was a stinker, that's for sure. But action made it happen.
Sbitan Mohammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbitan-mohammad.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Sbitan Mohammad »

I've never been in such situation where I had to fold my hands and let things be done. I always put in.work, and then wish or hope it goes well.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”