Hope or denial?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Omobolanle Savage
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Re: Hope or denial?

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

This is a tough question as I am still trying to find words to explain. Hope or denial? Another look at this book will help me to find clarity.
Surekha Krishnakumar
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surekha-krishnakumar.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by Surekha Krishnakumar »

Hope all day, we’ve got nothing to lose. Granted, there’s more disappointment when there’s hope involved. But hope can give a positive outlook on life thereby allowing better problem solving capability.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

Yes, I have found myself hoping for outcomes that deep down I knew were unrealistic. Several years ago I was in a relationship that was clearly declining - we were arguing often, growing distant, and had increasing differences in what we wanted for the future.
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

Yet part of me was still clinging to the hope that things would magically work themselves out. My friends tried to gently tell me that I seemed to be in denial about how unavailable and unmotivated my partner was becoming. But I didn't want to hear it.
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Toria »

I kept thinking if I just loved them enough, or compromised more, or gave them even more chances then maybe they would turn things around. Even when all evidence pointed to this person clearly pulling away, I convinced myself that wasn't the reality. I was scared to fully confront the truth and accept that the relationship I had envisioned was failing.

Roald Dahl
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Toria »

No amount of communication or effort made a difference because ultimately my partner had already checked out. Yet it still completely blindsided and devastated me when the final breakup happened. Only with more time and distance could I look back with clarity and realize my friends had seen things I was in denial about. My hope had not been rooted in reality.

Roald Dahl
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Toria »

Heartbreak can unfortunately make it very tempting to deny red flags and become emotionally entrenched in unrealistic hopes. But part of growing involves acknowledging when that is happening, even when the truth is painful.

Roald Dahl
Jaituni Sanghavi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: The Song: A Lesson to Live By by Ilene c. Herman

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

Oh yes, I found myself multiple times in this situation where I was outwardly hoping for something to happen but deep within I was in a denial mode and scared about what would happen it the thing I was hoping for actually manifested itself. Well, after reading this book I have grown more aware of this tendency of mine and with the help of the tips provided in this book, I am sure I will overcome it. Thanks for this question!
Brightone Tonny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brightone-tonny.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles

Post by Brightone Tonny »

Finding hope in challenging situations can be a source of strength, but it's important to balance optimism with a realistic understanding of the situation.
Jeevanesh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeevanesh.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Jeevanesh »

Fireproof Happiness offers a refreshing take on overcoming anxiety with practical tools. Its focus on hope as a cornerstone for happiness is truly inspiring.
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajain12 »

Achieving equilibrium between hope and recognizing reality is vital. This balance nurtures a resilient mindset, fostering constructive actions amidst challenges. Embracing hope propels progress, while acknowledging reality facilitates practical solutions. The harmony of these perspectives cultivates a positive, pragmatic approach to navigating life's uncertainties. This delicate balance empowers individuals to confront difficulties with optimism while addressing them with practicality, creating a well-rounded strategy for facing the complexities of life.
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

It's fascinating to explore the distinction between wishing and hope, as highlighted in "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross. The idea that wishing is passive while hope is active truly resonates. It's a powerful reminder that simply wishing for things to change without taking action can undermine our chances of success.

I can relate to finding myself in a similar situation, where I catch myself hoping for a resolution while being passive about it. It's almost as if there's a part of us that wants to avoid confronting the problem directly, hoping that it will magically disappear. However, as Dr. Ross points out, this is actually a form of denial rather than genuine hope.

Recognizing this pattern is a significant step towards personal growth and empowerment. It's encouraging to hear that you quickly transition from a passive stance to actively seeking solutions. Taking that decisive step to move beyond wishing and into the realm of action can lead to remarkable transformations in our lives.

Change can be challenging, and it's natural to feel initially overwhelmed or uncertain. However, by embracing a mindset of active hope, we can empower ourselves to confront obstacles head-on. We become drivers of change rather than passive bystanders, and that is where true progress lies.

So, as you continue on your journey, remember that hope is not just a passive desire; it's a powerful force that propels us towards positive change. By acknowledging the difference between wishing and hope, and actively choosing to take charge of your circumstances, you're setting yourself up for a future filled with possibility and growth. Keep embracing that active hope, and watch as it fuels your journey towards a happier and more fulfilling life.
Danny Ravens
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danny-ravens.html
Latest Review: The Smokefree System: Taking Back Control by Sue Freeman

Post by Danny Ravens »

This involves acknowledging challenging circumstances while harnessing hope as a source of motivation to drive meaningful efforts. The distinction between constructive hope and a misguided perception of hopelessness adds depth to the understanding of how hope can be a powerful instrument when wielded with discernment.
Onuoha Joy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onuoha-joy.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Onuoha Joy »

I agree that wishing is much more passive than hope. Hope comes with action. Hope, to me, is akin to faith and faith without work is often dead.
Kim Msafi Kim
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-msafi-kim.html
Latest Review: The Fish House by G L Rockey

Post by Kim Msafi Kim »

Hope is a complex emotion that intertwines with the uncertainty of the future. It embodies the delicate balance between anticipation and the acknowledgment of potential disappointment. Despite the inherent challenges, embracing hope is a testament to resilience, as it propels us forward, encouraging continuous effort and determination. In the face of adversity, the act of hoping becomes a source of strength, offering solace even when the outcome may be bittersweet.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”