Hope is often mistaken for simply wishful thinking.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Amarachi Nwogo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachi-nwogo.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Re: Hope is often mistaken for simply wishful thinking.

Post by Amarachi Nwogo »

I actually do not have a clear distinction on hope and wishful thinking, but I think it lies in the strength of your belief and action.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 2293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

The author distinguishes wishing as just simply hoping for the best without putting in any effort. Just wishing takes away responsibility for your future and makes you stagnate. Hope on the other hand is described as active work toward the future.
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: A Long Ago place by Donna Betten

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

I agree with Dr. Randy Ross, wishing is passive and hope is active. I can use myself as an example. I wish for things that I know are likely not to happen. However, I hope for things that I know are sure to happen, and I'm expecting it to happen. So to make a wish come true, I think we have to act and make it a hope.
Osakwe Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Osakwe Emmanuel »

I highly believe that even though hope and wishing may seem similar, but they're actually different. Wishing is just wanting something to happen without doing anything about it. It's like dreaming without taking action. On the other hand, hope is more active. It's believing that things can get better and taking steps to make them better. Hope gives you the energy and motivation to work towards your goals, while wishing doesn't.
Chideraa Ezeanwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chideraa-ezeanwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chideraa Ezeanwu »

I think that there is a very big difference between hope and wishful thinking, and anyone who read this book will be able to clearly distinguish one from the other.
Viv Sid
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viv-sid.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Viv Sid »

It's a common misconception, but hope is more than just wishful thinking. While wishful thinking is a desire for something to happen without any real expectation or plan, hope involves both desire and expectation, often accompanied by a sense of possibility and determination. Hope can motivate action and provide resilience in the face of challenges.
Emeka JohnObi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-johnobi.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Emeka JohnObi »

Hope is the belief that things can improve or that a desired outcome is achievable. While wishful thinking is simply desire without reason.
Jeevanesh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeevanesh.html
Latest Review: Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.

Post by Jeevanesh »

The ultimate objective of hope, is to bring about a sense of positive emotion when everything around us is crumbling. In that case, why overthink about the last ray of 'hope' i.e., hope and label it into something else to complicate things?

At the end of the day, Hope, is a beautiful emotion. It's best left alone.
Anu Jikku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-jikku.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Anu Jikku »

There was a time that I used to say, "Expect the worst, but hope for the best." Now I know better. Those are not two experiences that should be tagged together. I am known to be a very hopeful person. To hope is to have faith that, in spite of everything, we will overcome. This powerful will to survive or manifest can often be misconstrued as wishful thinking by people around us who don't share our same views. :) :) :) :)
Wild tales of an intrepid, curly mom!

Yours truly,
SomewhatMom
Donaldo cris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldo-cris.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Donaldo cris »

This post brought to mind a recent chat with a friend who expressed a desire to draw again, reminiscing about his past skill. When I asked why he didn't restart, he only reiterated his wish without considering the effort required. Now, I understand the difference between wishing and hoping more clearly.
Puckett Elizabeth Marie
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-puckett-elizabeth-marie.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Puckett Elizabeth Marie »

Hope is the belief that things can improve it is usually filled with positive energies while wishful thinking us the desire for something Without actions.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

Dr. Randy suggests that we shouldn't rely solely on wishful thinking; instead, we should take action and work towards our goals. According to him, hope involves actively working for what we wish for. Wishful thinking is just passive thinking, but when we put in effort, it turns into hope. This perspective emphasizes the importance of proactive behavior over mere wishing.
Puckett Elizabeth Marie
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-puckett-elizabeth-marie.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Puckett Elizabeth Marie »

I think everything was said in this book. Wish is wanting something without putting force or action to achieve it. Hope needs action for it to bring happiness.
Ejoh Ebube
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Karmic Selling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejoh-ebube.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Ejoh Ebube »

Dr. Randy suggests that wishing can hinder success by promoting a passive mindset. This can lead to feelings of resignation and lack of agency. However, hope is characterized by optimism and determination, inspiring action and resilience. Combining both can increase success chances. By maintaining a positive outlook and taking concrete steps towards achieving goals, individuals can overcome obstacles and increase their chances of success. Thus, wishing alone may not be enough to achieve success.
Miracle Kingss
Currently Reading: EMA
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-kingss.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Miracle Kingss »

Yes, but not necessarily true. Hope is a combination of wishful thinking and actions. Wishful thinking is similar to putting money under the bed and expecting it to earn interest. Hope, on the other hand, would be investing it and hoping for a high return.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”