Hope is often mistaken for simply wishful thinking.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Brightone Tonny
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brightone-tonny.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles

Re: Hope is often mistaken for simply wishful thinking.

Post by Brightone Tonny »

hope involves more than wishful thinking; it often includes a sense of belief, optimism, and a willingness to work towards positive outcomes.
Jeevanesh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeevanesh.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Jeevanesh »

The book 'Fireproof Happiness' stands out with its authentic and relatable voice, offering insightful and grounded advice for those seeking peace of mind."

And yes, hope is sometimes mistaken for wishful thinking. Hope in itself is an amazing emotion, it is not supposed to be misunderstood or misinterpret.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Jersey Death Squad: A Journey to Kill Jessie Freeman by Mark Meding

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

Wishful thinking is passive. It means that you are wishing that things would have been different but not taking any action. Let me give you an example: I am weak in a certain area of my life and I want to be better. I can either take action to continuously improve or I can wish I was better. Some people keep wishing. Wishing is also like not acknowledging the truth and hoping that things will automatically become better.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Consider It Done by Akomolede Oladapo Amos
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 560%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

I agree with the underlined concept. Being active and intentional with what we want, gives us the best chances to get it. If we just passively wish something, without taking action, then we need to be very lucky to get anything at all :)
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Gee-Q Mdluli
Currently Reading: Adventures of Uncle Billy and Ross
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-q-mdluli.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Gee-Q Mdluli »

Yeah, wishing and hoping are very different things in my opinion. Wishing for something makes it less likely that you will get it because it tends to be a passive type of thinking "wouldn't it be nice if I had such and such?" as opposed to "I hope I can get such and such" which if you're not already doing what you need to do to get it, diminishes your hope.
Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Neha Panikar »

I believe there are two sides to it: one where you only wish and there's no action driving to get you to that goal;
the other, wherein you are helpless - for example, your wish to have someone love you, the way you want is completely outside your control. You can try as much as you can, but you cannot force the power of free will. Here's where it can remain to be only wishful thinking.
Favy Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favy-moses.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Favy Moses »

Wishing is passive just mare thinking and imaginations but hope is active it displays in our actions and how we interact with people and situations around us.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I also agree with the author that wishing that something will happen is more passive and resigned than hoping for it to happen. Hope tends to imply more belief than wishing does and also suggests that a person is going to put in some effort to make something happen, whereas wishing suggests a desire for something to just happen without having to do anything to make it happen.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Alexander Victoria »

He’s so right. Wishing one’s condition will be good doesn’t make it go away unless the necessary works are done. Hope is renewing. It gives new insight while wishing is more like resignations or laziness.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

Wishing is passive, A person could sit and wish for a million things and not take any steps toward it, but hope is action in waiting.
Kelvin Suraj
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Kelvin Suraj »

Sure, this book made me realize the difference between hope and wish. Hope involve a goal, a plan, a mindset towards something.
Colleado Keana Rose
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colleado-keana-rose.html
Latest Review: Rise and Conquer by Juan Partida

Post by Colleado Keana Rose »

I agree with your perspective. Distinguishing between wishing and hoping aligns with the active and passive nature of these concepts. Individuals often undertake tasks, embrace risks, and actively hope for favorable outcomes, emphasizing that hope is not merely about resignation but involves proactive engagement with life's uncertainties.
Lily Walker 1
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-walker-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Lily Walker 1 »

I think that whether or not somebody agrees with this statement depends a lot upon one’s definition of “wishing” and “hoping.” For me, I often associate “wishing” with fairy tales, such as “wishing” upon a star or “wishing” for something crazy to happen. As for “hope,” I use it more often when I’m talking about things that I have worked hard to achieve. “I hope I get an A on this test because I studied so hard for it,” or “I hope to one day become a lawyer.” I think that the author is also viewing these objective definitions from the same lens, and it’s all about the context in which the word is used, so from my viewpoint there is a difference.
Martha Lopez 4
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha-lopez-4.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Martha Lopez 4 »

This book cleared me on this area in my life . Wish is quite different from hope. We making wish without putting action is useless. Hope is making a plan and taking action to see that plan get achieved.
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: The Cannoli Caper by Jeff V Erickson
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

I don't think I agree with that. I think that hoping for your wishes to come true is natural. Kids do it every Christmas, don't they? However, when it comes to problems and there seems to be no solution, I don't think wishing will be a problem. I don't think they are much different in that aspect.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”