Hope is often mistaken for simply wishful thinking.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Re: Hope is often mistaken for simply wishful thinking.

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

I believe that Dr. Randy is saying that wishing is not the same as hope because hope moves us forward toward our goal. We can wish things to happen but hope says it will happen. Believing that something is possible, that it’s going to happen and then setting your dial on hope as you watch it unfold is more powerful that just wishing something would happen.
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

I have to agree with the author. Usually, when people wish, they do that while not putting in action to realise whatever it is they are wishing for, but when people hope, they do that while acting. So a person can put in the work, and hear them say, 'oh, boy, I am hoping for the best.'
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Hope for me is that flame that helps you continue for what you want, and in some cases the only force that drives you to move forward when you are in an exhausting situation and you think that you may not achieve it.

This opinion is very personal to the author. It can be analyzed in different ways. I do not share the thought that desire is passive and hope is active. He said that desire is what you have so much mind that you do everything possible to make everything flow so you can achieve your goal.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Like you said I feel that if people put work into their wishes, dream, or hopes, they can achieve it.
Eric DUSHIMIRIMANA
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric-dushimirimana.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, second edition by Chet Shupe

Post by Eric DUSHIMIRIMANA »

Hope is not wishful thinking. According to the author, hope is like an organism with a “head,” “heart,” and “hands.” Hope also involves, for example, the art of goaling and re-goaling, pivoting, and nesting. “Hope is the belief that the future will be better and that you have a role to play in making it so.” According to the author, the hopeful should pray: “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change things I can change, and wisdom to know the difference.”
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Aditii Mehta »

According to me, wishing is when we want things to happen by themselves without much doing. Being hopeful includes all the hardwork and hope is something a person looks for after doing all that he/she could do.
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I think it's fitting to be hopeful as long as you have a plan and follow through on it. However, being hopeful while doing nothing is a problem. I'd rather be hopeful than wishful thinking, in which I don't put in any effort to achieve my goals.
Celestine Miani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celestine-miani.html
Latest Review: Bashert by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Celestine Miani »

That's true. While hope can involve positive anticipation, it often goes beyond wishful thinking by encompassing resilience and belief in the possibility of positive outcomes.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: painkiller brainkiller by James m powers II

Post by Seetha E »

In every circumstance, I tried to live by the proverb, "Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst." Whether there are good or bad times, that moment will pass, and our goal should be to be happy no matter what. At all times, it is crucial to have an open mind and an acceptance of the things that cannot be altered.
I find it disheartening to consider all of the people who give up because they believe they are without hope. I pray that all of them receive this message.
Osakwe Favour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-favour.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Osakwe Favour »

The statement suggests that while wishing might be more about expressing a desire without taking action, hope involves a sense of optimism coupled with an active pursuit or belief in the possibility of achieving a desired outcome.
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

I think the author is correct. Sometimes wishing comes with resignation, leaving possibilities to other forces. Hope comes with putting in effort. That explains why wishful thinking is different from hoping. However, I also agree with you. That's why I use the word sometimes. When I wish for things, I sometimes say, "I wish this turns out well." I already put in the work while hoping for a good result.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Donna Walker »

Wishing for me is like dreaming instead of believing that the desired outcome will happen. As the author says, its passive, not active.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

I see hope as the believe that something would eventually come to pass. As for wishful thinking, is is just a desire that is not backed up by backed up by believe. The two are two different things.
Michaela Sanders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaela-sanders.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Michaela Sanders »

I think that the author did a great job of explaining this in the book. He stated that hope is an active process of thought that involves having plan of how we are to accomplish the tasks we set out to complete the the goals we want to reach. The promise of hope means that there is a greater chance of success at the end. On the other hand, wishing is a more passive process where we want to try and will things into existence rather than putting in the work and effort to accomplish things in our life.
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Abraham Ozo »

Dr. Randy suggests that passive wishing, without active effort, may hinder success. He emphasizes the dynamic nature of hope, involving tangible actions. While perspectives on combining wishes with work vary, the discussion revolves around the interplay between mindset, effort, and achieving desired outcomes.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”