What do you think is the link between hope and happiness?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross

Attachments
MO231127 (14).jpg
MO231127 (14).jpg (5.58 MiB) Viewed 991 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Gerry Steen »

Hi, Melisa, I know that I am happiest when I am busy. Especially if, I am busy on a mission. The anticipation of reaching my end goal with the completion of the task keeps me in the zone. I am elated when the task is completed and my goal has been reached. This happiness lasts for some time and turns into contentment. I then start to work towards my next goal to keep the feeling of happiness flowing. In sum, I am a person who lives with hope. This process of hope entails working toward a goal with a plan. This keeps me happy. This is the link between hope and happiness! Have a good day.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

Maybe my explanation may be a bit different from that of Dr. Randy. He said that hope is a strategy. This for me means that having hope means that you put in all the desired effort and it's not just wishful thinking but something you can be at least certain will turn out well (even when it won't sometimes). This brings a sense of fulfillment. For example, now that you put in the required effort, say in an assignment, you are not stressed about it and you are awaiting a positive outcome. For me, that's happiness as a result of hope.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

Gerry Steen wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 10:02 Hi, Melisa, I know that I am happiest when I am busy. Especially if, I am busy on a mission. The anticipation of reaching my end goal with the completion of the task keeps me in the zone. I am elated when the task is completed and my goal has been reached. This happiness lasts for some time and turns into contentment. I then start to work towards my next goal to keep the feeling of happiness flowing. In sum, I am a person who lives with hope. This process of hope entails working toward a goal with a plan. This keeps me happy. This is the link between hope and happiness! Have a good day.
I can totally relate to this. I am always in the best of moods whenever I am extremely busy. There is this happiness that exists when you know that you are working towards achieving something positive.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Gerry Steen »

Nenye Lauraa wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 08:12
Gerry Steen wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 10:02 Hi, Melisa, I know that I am happiest when I am busy. Especially if, I am busy on a mission. The anticipation of reaching my end goal with the completion of the task keeps me in the zone. I am elated when the task is completed and my goal has been reached. This happiness lasts for some time and turns into contentment. I then start to work towards my next goal to keep the feeling of happiness flowing. In sum, I am a person who lives with hope. This process of hope entails working toward a goal with a plan. This keeps me happy. This is the link between hope and happiness! Have a good day.
I can totally relate to this. I am always in the best of moods whenever I am extremely busy. There is this happiness that exists when you know that you are working towards achieving something positive.
Hi, Nenye. Great minds think alike! LOL. I think the author of Fireproof Happiness would be happy to know that so many of his readers are happy when they are busy actively and strategically hoping. Have a great day! :techie-studyinggray:
Chinenye Sus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: Brian, Created Intelligence by AJ Pagan IV

Post by Chinenye Sus »

Kigen Valarie wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 04:27 Maybe my explanation may be a bit different from that of Dr. Randy. He said that hope is a strategy. This for me means that having hope means that you put in all the desired effort and it's not just wishful thinking but something you can be at least certain will turn out well (even when it won't sometimes). This brings a sense of fulfillment. For example, now that you put in the required effort, say in an assignment, you are not stressed about it and you are awaiting a positive outcome. For me, that's happiness as a result of hope.
For me, hope is the fuel for proactive effort, ensuring fulfillment by transforming wishful thinking into a confident anticipation of positive outcomes, cultivating happiness through invested certainty.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

I'm a freelance writer. My business is in the infant stage, and I've miles to go to reach where I want to be.

I feel overwhelmed thinking of all the obstacles I've to overcome. But at the same time, I feel excited and happy for the future. I credit that excitement and happiness to my belief and hope that as long as I'm taking baby steps every day, I'm getting closer to my goals.
Surekha Krishnakumar
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surekha-krishnakumar.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by Surekha Krishnakumar »

The author has done a beautiful job of telling us to enjoy the journey and keep ourselves occupied with hope.Hope, according to the author, does not necessarily relate to happiness from reaching the destination but from every obstacle crossed while walking towards the goal. I loved that aspect of not having to rely completely on the end of a journey but enjoying the present.
Bron Bakers
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bron-bakers.html
Latest Review: Six Ways From Sunday, The Watergate Coup by Irvin Randall

Post by Bron Bakers »

The line between hope and happiness is action. Taking action towards what we hope for will enable them happen.
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Risky Business In Rising China by Mark Atkeson

Post by Esther Deekor »

First of all, if I'm not hopeful then there's no way I'll feel happy about anything because hope that someday it'll get better is what drives us every day to go to that job. school and every other activity we going on. We further our studies with hope that someday, we'll become a doctor, engineer, etc which might not at first bring us happiness but will keep us going and with considerable progress, we sometimes find that happiness in the journey.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I think hope is something that can serve as a predecessor for the greatest happiness of all. The biggest levels of happiness that one can recieve tends to stem from hope and potential that is spotted earlier on in a situation
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

The author's perspective is quite unique. It pains me that I can't remember whose quote it was, but I do remember seeing a quote about how hope is actually torturous to humans. At the time, I didn't disagree, and even with this view in the novel, I also agree. I believe however, that the "hope" referred to as "torture" may actually be "wishful thinking" which has no strategy and causes people to wallow in the same spot. This novel helped me understand that hope isn't just a feeling but a propeller of action, and once you're taking steps to your goal, there won't be enough time to wallow in despair. I couldn't be happier that I found this book and was able to make this powerful correction in my thinking.
Princewill Uchenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

I do think every one hopes for what makes them happy. The link between the two is work. You work hard to bring your hope to reality. When you look back at your past to see the progress you have made you feel the happiness of where you would get to in the future.
João Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Becoming Change Makers by Dr. Dominica McBride

Post by João Ramos »

Hope is a strategy, but it is also a necessary condition for being happy. But there is an apparent difference between being proactive and sitting idly by. Wishful thinking alone will not solve your problems, and God will not miraculously help you if you don't allow yourself first.

Dr.Randy Ross proved in his book, whether through life examples or science, that "Hope" will be a helpful tool and, simultaneously, something that will make someone happy. This argument is entirely logical; after all, how can someone live in harmony with the world if they think everything will always work out?

On the other hand, the work would seem childish and lacking scientific rigor if he had not provided these examples and scientific arguments.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

I feel that setting goals keeps me motivated and when I hope to complete something and I have finished that goal or task, I feel happy and satisfied. On the other hand, if I don't complete that task, I get a bit upset at myself for not completing it in time.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”