What was your favorite motivational story in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross

Attachments
MO231127 (9).jpg
MO231127 (9).jpg (7.65 MiB) Viewed 1189 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Dana Youngblood
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

As hard as it was to read the story, my favorite motivational story was that of Regi and his funeral. I like how he talked about Regi's personality and determination to live a good life. Not only did he wish for it, he made it happen. He had hope to live out his life in the best way possible and to do so with loved ones by his side. He made a big difference in many people's lives and was truly inspirational. I find his story the most inspiring because I want to live the way he did; with hope, happiness, and making a difference.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

My favorite motivational story was about Travis Mills, the Afghanistan quadruple amputee. It felt very relevant due to the current Middle East crisis where we see hundreds of wounded and crippled people on the nightly news. All of those individuals are going to need inspiration and motivation.
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: The Aviculturist by Ann Smythe

Post by Kristin Cowan »

Not so much motivational internally, but as a business owner, I always find the Blockbuster story to be motivational. They didn't want to pivot and think ahead. They were so focused on the status quo that they ignored the advances and things around them, only to be completely shut down soon after (minus the last Blockbuster store).

Personally, Viktor Frankl's story as a concentration camp survivor who focused on the goodness of people and what to live for. It puts things in perspective.
Princewill Uchenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

The story of Regi and his funeral was my favorite motivational story. It drowned on me that it is not just enough to hope and not work. He desired a good life and he worked to make that happened. His story inspired me.
João Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Becoming Change Makers by Dr. Dominica McBride

Post by João Ramos »

I had never heard of Travis Mills before, but it's hard to imagine such an incredible story of overcoming.

It is almost inconceivable for us to imagine how we would live as a quadruple amputee: depression and suicidal thoughts seem inevitable. He overcame all these negative thoughts and became an example of a successful and productive person that many people with two legs and two arms cannot be.

He was also fearless in not taking the easy way out and abandoning his family. That's a truly incredible and inspiring story.
N parvin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-parvin.html
Latest Review: The Caribbean Sedition by Oscar Ortiz

Post by N parvin »

All the stories in this book convey their own unique messages. However, a story that truly left a mark in my mind and heart is the one about United States Army Staff Sergeant Travis Mills. Despite losing his legs and arms in an explosion on duty, he rose from that extremely dire situation where he felt everything had ended, and there was nothing left anymore. The little hope he had within himself helped him rise from it and create a nonprofit for amputees and veterans facing similar situations. It's so motivational that I can't express in words how much it means to me.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

I suppose the tear-jerkers make the best motivational stories, at least on a level that reaches the emotions. Regi and Travis are two individuals who could inspire almost anyone, no matter the amount of anxiety or lack of hope they experience. Strangely, though, the story that keeps replaying in my mind is the super ball. Remember the ditty about the author’s favorite little toy as a child?

The super ball story is a great metaphor that tells about more than the joy a simple toy gave a group of children. Ross talked about the core of the ball. The rubber is highly compressed. It is under so much stress that the harder one throws it against a solid surface, the more energy the core releases: the higher the ball bounces.

Think of a determined person who just won’t give up under pressure. Facing a sudden deadline? That person becomes a dynamo and outperforms everyone in the room. A crisis arises? Look for the person who springs into action, calmly taking charge and getting everything under control. Just like the toy super ball, once the crisis is over, your super person may jitter away like a goof ball. However, under stress, they bounce high and strong.

Are you a super ball?
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

N parvin wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 11:13 All the stories in this book convey their own unique messages. However, a story that truly left a mark in my mind and heart is the one about United States Army Staff Sergeant Travis Mills. Despite losing his legs and arms in an explosion on duty, he rose from that extremely dire situation where he felt everything had ended, and there was nothing left anymore. The little hope he had within himself helped him rise from it and create a nonprofit for amputees and veterans facing similar situations. It's so motivational that I can't express in words how much it means to me.
You spoke my mind. Travis' story was so inspiring. It made me see that I have no reason not to be hopeful and happy, as I haven't had it as bad as Travis.
Chioma Oz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chioma-oz.html
Latest Review: Flowers of Evil by N.L. Holmes

Post by Chioma Oz »

It's wonderful to hear that you found inspiration in Regi's story. His determination, positive attitude, and the impact he made on others are powerful reminders of the resilience of the human spirit. It's natural to draw motivation from such stories, and aspiring to live with hope, happiness, and a positive impact is a commendable goal. If there's anything specific you'd like to discuss or share about your own journey or aspirations, feel free to let me know.
Lily Walker 1
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-walker-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Lily Walker 1 »

My favorite motivational story was about Regi. I teared up while reading it and I definitely still think about it. It made me want to make a positive impact on other people’s lives, and thank those who have made a positive impact on mine. I think that it teaches us a great lesson about gratitude and caring for those around us, not just in our inner circle but EVERYWHERE around us.
Pablo Josue Mendia
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo-josue-mendia.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 250
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Pablo Josue Mendia »

Each story that Dr. Ross shares serves the purpose of connecting to the overall message of high-hopefulness. However, U.S. the story that he shared about Sergeant Travis Mills is the most memorable. Despite multiple amputations and the psychological toils of living in a world after suffering injuries on duty shows was the most motivational. I am sure that many people in different situations will empathize with this story and give them motivation to do what they perceive as "impossible."
Dianë Godwill
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dian-godwill.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Dianë Godwill »

Not so much motivational internally, but as a business owner, I always find the Blockbuster story to be motivational. They didn't want to pivot and think ahead.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nancy004 »

Travis Mills's story of triumph blew me away. It's tough to picture living as a quadruple amputee without feeling hopeless, yet he defied all odds. He didn't give up, even when things got rough, and that's truly inspiring. His bravery in sticking by his family is remarkable. This story, especially with what's happening in the Middle East, is something a lot of folks could use for a boost.
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading: Blockhead
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

Regi's story was so touching, I was on the verge of tears. That's a man with an unbreakable spirit right there. The story about the hiker who separated from the group and ended up dead, while not really motivational, also did a lot to show just how much we need other people to be by our side and help us make it through.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”