Do you agree with the author's comments on solitude and individualism in Chapter six?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Do you agree with the author's comments on solitude and individualism in Chapter six?

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross

Attachments
MO231127 (13).jpg
MO231127 (13).jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 1366 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

Honestly, I think it was too simplistic. Personally, I feel better mostly on my own while often people stress me. For this reason, I'm very selective in the company I keep. That's very subjective, depending on your personality and the environment in which you live, so mentioning a generic network of people as an advantage felt really simplistic to me.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Conshelle Dwight William
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conshelle-dwight-william.html
Latest Review: The Receptionist by Marie-Paul Corelli

Post by Conshelle Dwight William »

I found it quite basic. I tend to thrive in solitude as people often cause me stress. Consequently, I'm discerning about the company I choose. This is subjective, hinging on one's personality and living environment. Hence, citing a broad social network as a benefit seemed overly simplified to me.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I do not agree completely with the author's methods. I am also one of those who enjoy being alone. Solitude is often seen like a sign of sadness, like a negative thing. It is important to take time to connect with yourself. Individualism is important as well. I am not saying one should isolate themselves, a good dose of socializing is also key to happiness. It's all about balance.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Although I am perfectly content being in solitude, I think that the "Green Boots" example was an excellent reminder that being alone is not always the best option. There are times when having support from others is for the best even if it does interrupt our individualism.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 76%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

As I get older, I find that being in solitude is preferable to being with a group of people. People are primarily annoying, myself included, and I prefer my own company to that of others. I remember when I was growing up, if my friends were not around, I found it almost impossible to get through the day. Now, I love it when my husband goes out for the day!
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: The Aviculturist by Ann Smythe

Post by Kristin Cowan »

Solitude can affect each person differently. Some get too much in their head, while some gain clarity in alone time. It also depends how much time is spent alone and what you do. If you are alone all of the time and it is negatively impacting you, that is obviously not helpful. But many people just need solitude to break from chaos.
João Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Becoming Change Makers by Dr. Dominica McBride

Post by João Ramos »

NetMassimo wrote: 16 Dec 2023, 07:41 Honestly, I think it was too simplistic. Personally, I feel better mostly on my own while often people stress me. For this reason, I'm very selective in the company I keep. That's very subjective, depending on your personality and the environment in which you live, so mentioning a generic network of people as an advantage felt really simplistic to me.
Now that you put it that way, I remembered I had also found Dr.Ross's statement simplistic. There are infinite types of people, and what works for one may not work for another. His arguments defending "Hope" are universal, but you nailed it in this specific aspect.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Everyone has their own way of thinking. Many people who are alone feel very bad, they cannot be alone because depression attacks them. However, there are others who love the tranquility of silence and stillness. Stress or anxiety can be triggered by different factors, pinpointing something specific, I don't see it as feasible.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

I think it’s okay to want to be alone at times. It isn’t a sad thing if one enjoys their own company, plus occasional breaks from fellow-humans is much needed many times.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Eric DUSHIMIRIMANA
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric-dushimirimana.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, second edition by Chet Shupe

Post by Eric DUSHIMIRIMANA »

Yes. The author recommends balancing "walking alone" and "walking" with our fellow humans.

We are social and interdependent creatures. We cannot survive and thrive on our own all the time. We need others, particularly in hard times.

However, the hard work of introspection and reflection and part of intellectual development should be a solo journey. Each of us is on our consciousness level. Solitary life allows for independent exploration of the world. We need diverse schools of thought; it is suitable for our collective intelligence.
Mary Clarkee
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-clarkee.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by Mary Clarkee »

I don't fully align with the author's approach either. I appreciate solitude and don't view it negatively; it's a valuable time for self-reflection. Individualism holds importance, but I agree that a balance with socializing is crucial for overall happiness. It's about finding the right equilibrium between time alone for self-connection and engaging with others for a well-rounded sense of well-being.
Salome Ogani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: AfterLife by E. Vince

Post by Salome Ogani »

While the author builds a compelling case for prioritizing greater connectedness and community to combat loneliness, I found the arguments diminished vital complementary values of solitude and self-discovery.
Salome Ogani
Currently Reading:

Post by Salome Ogani »

The writer depicts solo pursuits largely through a lens of deficit and dysfunction, rather than acknowledging the documented cognitive and emotional benefits that can accompany time spent alone in balance with social bonds.
Salome Ogani
Currently Reading:

Post by Salome Ogani »

In cautioning against the rising crisis of isolation, the author proffers engagement as an unnuanced countermeasure without addressing how occasional solitude often enriches imagination, restores mental focus, and consolidates our sense of identity from introspective inner work.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”