Did you know about the different sides of hope before reading this book?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross

Attachments
MO231127 (14).jpg
MO231127 (14).jpg (5.58 MiB) Viewed 2129 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Dana Youngblood
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

I guess I never thought about hope in this way. I always thought it was similar to wishing but I see now the difference. When I have hope, I also have the ability to make it happen. When I wish for something, it's just a wish with nothing behind it. I like how he describes hope and says that it is active. If I hope something is going to happen or come to be, I can work to make it happen.
Great question!
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I was actually very skeptical of hope before reading this book. I now see that I mixed it up with wishful thinking and ocassionally dismissed it as a religious issue. I learned a lot about the different aspects that hope entails.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

I thought I understood what hope was until I read this book. My whole life I thought hope was more of an emotion than a mindset. I’ve always been an optimistic person who tried to have a positive outlook on life, but I haven’t been motivated in sometime. This book helped me to realize that hope is what I’ve been missing. Hope was the missing element needed to get me from point A to point B.
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

No. I mistakenly thought hope was nothing but another word for wishing. The author set the record straight for that, and now I realised that without hope, then you are susceptible to give up.
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

I had no idea! Everyone talks about hope but no one delved deep into it. It was only when I read this, that I realized the different aspects of the same.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

I knew that hope is more than wishful thinking but this book offered greater depth. The author analyzed the concept of hope in depth showing how it can be harnessed.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Huini Hellen
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Before reading this book, the different sides of hope I knew were that hope was a powerful force, but I didn’t know how it worked. I knew that it could be a source of strength and inspiration, but I didn’t know how to tap into it. I knew that we all needed hope in our lives, but I didn’t know how to find it when we felt hopeless.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Huini Hellen
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

NetMassimo wrote: 22 Dec 2023, 09:22 I knew that hope is more than wishful thinking but this book offered greater depth. The author analyzed the concept of hope in depth showing how it can be harnessed.
Hi, I agree with you that hope fuels our resilience in the face of setbacks, reminding us that progress, though sometimes hidden, is always possible. So, yes, hope is far more than mere wish; it's the engine that propels us towards a brighter tomorrow.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

Penny Ann Criswell Johnson wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 22:47 I thought I understood what hope was until I read this book. My whole life I thought hope was more of an emotion than a mindset. I’ve always been an optimistic person who tried to have a positive outlook on life, but I haven’t been motivated in sometime. This book helped me to realize that hope is what I’ve been missing. Hope was the missing element needed to get me from point A to point B.
Hi Penny, I think you were right to an extent because hope may dress up as an emotion. Underneath it is a resilient mindset, ready to conquer whatever the tide throws its way.
N parvin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-parvin.html
Latest Review: The Caribbean Sedition by Oscar Ortiz

Post by N parvin »

Honestly, I didn't have any idea that the word 'hope' had this much research about it. It's mind-boggling for me to discover the many scientific aspects of hope through this highly resourceful book. I never even paid attention or gave importance to having hope at all in my life; I just knew the word. But this book opened a whole new theory about hope to me, which I will never forget in my whole life. I do believe that this new information about hope will be very essential in my future life endeavors.
Eric DUSHIMIRIMANA
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric-dushimirimana.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, second edition by Chet Shupe

Post by Eric DUSHIMIRIMANA »

No. I did not. My knowledge of what hope is was shallow. Nevertheless, I have known what hope can do. The author defines hope in a way I have never imagined. The book is enlightening.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

No, I did not. In fact, this is the aspect that I loved the most in the book because clearly, in a time when anxiety and hopelessness seem rampant, Randy's insights cut through the chaos. Unlike many self-help books, this one isn't filled with abstract concepts and it feels more like a trusted mentor sharing practical advice for navigating today's turbulent world. This book made me reflect on the power of cultivating hope, not just for personal well-being but also for fostering a positive and productive work environment.
Nganyi Humphrey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nganyi-humphrey.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

I never thought of hope as having different levels to it. I understood it to be just more than wishful thinking, whereby with hope you have a picture in mind of what you want to achieve. the work and the Way are additional information.
Chad Anthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: Essential Advice for Buying Your First Home and Navigating through the Mortgage Loan Process by Diana Donnelly

Post by Chad Anthony »

Oh no I did not know. Hope having different sides to it is surprising but is m glad I understood the author's point. There is a deeper meaning to hope and it is satisfying.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”