Close Quarters During COVID-19: Insights from 'Fireproof Happiness'

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Homo Fix or Nix
Bookshelf Size: 411
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Close Quarters During COVID-19: Insights from 'Fireproof Happiness'

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope by Dr. Randy Ross poignantly explores the psychological and emotional impacts of prolonged close proximity and confinement, an aspect of the pandemic that touched virtually everyone.

Dr. Ross's insights bring to light the challenges of living in tight spaces with family or roommates, delving into how these circumstances reshaped our understanding of personal space, freedom, and interpersonal dynamics. The book raises intriguing questions about our capacity for resilience, adaptability, and maintaining personal identity in the face of constant proximity to others.

What are your thoughts on Dr. Ross's observations and theories? Do you agree with his perspectives on the psychological impact of prolonged close proximity during the pandemic? How do his ideas resonate with your own experiences?

Additionally, we're eager to hear about your personal journeys during this time. How did living in close quarters affect your relationships, your sense of self, and your overall well-being? Did your experiences align with the scenarios and theories presented in the book, or did they differ?

For those interested in a more philosophical exploration of these themes, join the conversation at the Online Philosophy Club.
https://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums ... 69&t=19203

AI Prompt : An overwhelmed person in a confined space, surrounded by people and viruses
AI Prompt : An overwhelmed person in a confined space, surrounded by people and viruses
file-GiWfyZ0a28Vp9xSQ2ca73uI8 (1).jpg (269.65 KiB) Viewed 525 times
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

As an educator, I have seen the profound impact of Covid on students - both positive and negative. One interesting outcome to me is the students who continue to wear face masks in the classroom. These introverted individuals found that they loved hiding their faces and are thrilled that they can now continue to do so even though it is no longer medically necessary. So, yes, I agree with Dr. Ross on his theory of personal identification.
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

The prolonged confinement during the time in which it occurred was a factor of despair for many. For others, it was a great relief. The family dynamics changed, in some cases the families became closer, and in others they fragmented.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

Sometimes when we are being forced to live in close quarters, deeply buried interpersonal issues with family members again surface and there is no way to escape now. However, if we are truly alone I believe it can be an opportunity for self-discovery and improvement.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

Living in close quarters with family and being isolated from friends definitely impacted my mental health and well-being during the height of covid. I graduated from college and began a job that involved working from home in spring of 2020 and basically lived in my room as there was nowhere else in our family home that I could work from. One family member's office space was immediately below my room and I could frequently hear their entire conversations when they were on the phone for business calls. Another family member's room shared a wall with mine and I could also hear them. There were attempts to encourage socialization at work through twice-daily team calls, but answering a question of the day each day while only seeing others virtually is not a particularly great way to get to know other people. I think this living situation both allowed me to grow in closeness with my family members and highlighted our differences moreso than we would have noticed otherwise.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Alexander Victoria »

After the Covid lockdown, we heard a lot of reports from husbands who hasn’t stayed in the same days with their wives for few days in a row, some used those periods as one of reflection and some destroyed that marriage too during those periods. The close proximity during the Covid times did both good and bad.
Bradley Twesten
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Post by Bradley Twesten »

I agree with many of the comments. For some relationships, Covid was an opportunity to build and restore a family. For those on shakey ground, things didn't really work out. I know that many family activities, like camping and RV'ing and other things that could be done safely outdoors exploded in business. Those were great signs! Get a lot of that stuff on discount re-sale now :)

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”