Do you think the role of hope has been overplayed in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Re: Do you think the role of hope has been overplayed in this book?

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

Hope was not exaggerated in the book. Hope is actually what keeps us going in life. I believe a lot of people would be depressed if there was not hope to keep us going.
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

I went into the book thinking my answer would be yes, but honestly? While I think the concept of hope might have been a little romanticized, and I don't think it's the end-all be-all of happiness, I can't help but look at all the scientific and anecdotal evidence I was given and come away thinking that hope really is something special. It isn't easy, by any means, but nonetheless - it's still worth having.
Dana Youngblood
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

I do not think that hope is overplayed in this book. He gives the different sides to hope and how it is different than just wishing for things to be different. I feel that hope is something that can be built upon and the author does a great job of making sure that the reader can see what steps to take. Hope is powerful, without hope, you can fall into a dark time.
Ian Ondara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondara-ian.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Ian Ondara »

At times hope is all you need to succeed in life. Yes you have to put in the right effort, but I think it all starts with hope. So I can say that hope has not been exaggerated in this book. For those who want to be successful in life, this will be a great start as they will learn how to become hopeful and how to use it to their advantage.
Kala Krishnakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kala-krishnakumar.html
Latest Review: Magi Apprentice by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Kala Krishnakumar »

In this book, hope is given more power than reality allows us to place. I'd love to believe that the only emotions that matter are hope and despair, black and white, while ignoring all the shades of grey in between. Although that is not the case, this book can be square one in a path towards a healthy attitude.
Julio Sanchez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julio-sanchez.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Julio Sanchez »

The book likely emphasizes the importance of hope in fostering resilience, maintaining a positive outlook, and pursuing meaningful goals. While hope may be a prominent focus of the book, it's likely balanced with practical advice and insights to provide a comprehensive approach to personal growth and well-being.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

I wouldn't say it's overplayed because all the information, theories, and statements mentioned in the book are scientifically proven and research-based, clearly stating how important hope's role is in our lives. There's not a single piece of information that is a false statement; that's why I wouldn't say that the role of hope is overplayed. However, I would say that the book could be written a little more concisely. All aspects of hope are essential to mention but could be presented more succinctly. So, not overplayed but I would say overexplained in some parts.
Latest
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

I wouldn't say it's overplayed because all the information, theories, and statements mentioned in the book are scientifically proven and research-based, clearly stating how important hope's role is in our lives. There's not a single piece of information that is a false statement; that's why I wouldn't say that the role of hope is overplayed. However, I would say that the book could be written a little more concisely. All aspects of hope are essential to mention but could be presented more succinctly. So, not overplayed but I would say overexplained in some parts.
Latest
Loretta Morris 1
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loretta-morris-1.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter by Mark Gumbrell
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Loretta Morris 1 »

Hi!
Do you think the role of hope has been overplayed in this book?

I do not think the role of hope is overplayed in this book. The role of hope explains the many aspects to happiness. The author uses detailed information about hope to deliver, motivation, determination, positiveness to connect hope with happiness.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”