Do you think the role of hope has been overplayed in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross

Attachments
MO231127 (15).jpg
MO231127 (15).jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 717 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
N parvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-parvin.html
Latest Review: The Caribbean Sedition by Oscar Ortiz

Post by N parvin »

I wouldn't say it's overplayed because all the information, theories, and statements mentioned in the book are scientifically proven and research-based, clearly stating how important hope's role is in our lives. There's not a single piece of information that is a false statement; that's why I wouldn't say that the role of hope is overplayed. However, I would say that the book could be written a little more concisely. All aspects of hope are essential to mention but could be presented more succinctly. So, not overplayed but I would say overexplained in some parts.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m not sure that it can ever be overplayed. If not for hope, even if it is misplaced sometimes, what do we, as humans have?
Judy Burr
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Currently Reading: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-burr.html
Latest Review: Ambitions by Frank Baillargeon

Post by Judy Burr »

I looked on Sermononline.com for sermons on hope and there were at least 6,000 from all denominations. Everyone needs to be encouraged. I don't think it was overplayed in this book. Just right.
Judy
Angus Zonny
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angus-zonny.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Angus Zonny »

Yes, I really do think that the role of hope has been exaggerated in this book. I like it but we need to come back to reality.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Mary Clarkee
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-clarkee.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by Mary Clarkee »

Encouragement is indeed universal, and it's great to hear that the book struck the right balance in conveying this important theme without overplaying it.
Salome Ogani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Salome Ogani »

In marshaling such exhaustive evidence from psychological case studies to meta-analyses of biometric data, the author reinforces with crystal clarity the manifold benefits conferred by high hope-levels upon health, motivation, resilience and general well-being.
Salome Ogani
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Salome Ogani »

Yet amassing this mountain of empirical data occasionally obscures the affecting personal narratives that most compellingly communicate hope's profound impacts.
Salome Ogani
Currently Reading:

Post by Salome Ogani »

I would not characterize the meaningful role of hope as overstated within this scientifically-grounded work.
Salome Ogani
Currently Reading:

Post by Salome Ogani »

The author substantiates through rigorous research the indispensability of optimism to the human condition, while avoiding any distortion or inflation of hope's attributes.
Salome Ogani
Currently Reading:

Post by Salome Ogani »

If fault exists, the folly lies in verbosity rather than exaggeration of hope's importance. I believe that "hope" could have been delivered in a more specific way.
Salome Ogani
Currently Reading:

Post by Salome Ogani »

The work could better achieve its purpose were the author more judicious in curating only the most resonant quantitative and qualitative data sets.
Salome Ogani
Currently Reading:

Post by Salome Ogani »

I would therefore not reduce the rightful primacy given to illuminating hope's instrumental role, only refine the delivery to foreground the most viscerally impactful support materials.
Salome Ogani
Currently Reading:

Post by Salome Ogani »

Greater brevity and selectivity in demonstrating the statistical and testimonial proof-points would amplify the work's effectiveness.
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I don't think that there was any exaggeration. While reading the book, I was constantly reminded of Fantasy books that had used hope as a theme. After reading this book, I understood those authors who valued hope much better.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”