"Life is not meant to be lived alone." Do you agree with this statement as explained in Chapter six of this book?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Cristiano Bellucci
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: A Miracle For Evi by Eva-Maria Frank
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 540%

Re: "Life is not meant to be lived alone." Do you agree with this statement as explained in Chapter six of this book?

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

We live during a time when many people chose to stay alone. They share something, but stay mainly by themselves. I prefer to share my life with the people I love.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Marina Flisvou »

It's true that having people around us is really important for our happiness and strength, especially when we're going through tough times. We all need friends or family to talk to, to help us see things differently, and sometimes to give us a hand. Trying to deal with problems all by ourselves can make things worse, like feeling even more sad or worried. It's good to reach out to others when things get hard. Talking to someone can make us feel better, and being part of a group, like our family, friends, or clubs, makes us feel like we belong and that we're not alone. This kind of support can really help us get through the tough times.
Marina
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Life is an experience one would love to share with those who truly appreciate it and genuinely care for them! Until that genuine person/people is/are found, there's no harm in doing your own thing.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

It is human nature to interact with people and have a life around with people. Being alone makes us bore and all grumpy. No person welcomes a new lifestyle just being alone. Surrounded by the people makes us outgrow ourselves.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

Naushin Moledina wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 03:02 According to me, the relationships are the things that define us and our life. Without love, friendship or even enemies we are nothing. We leave our parts with everyone like the horcruxes of ourselves with every person we spend time with. So, ya ‘life is not meant to be lived alone’. It will be so boring without the connections that god has given us to live with.
Well, well, well. You put a spin on this that I did not expect to see! Who on earth would think of horcuxes being the people with whom we interact? That’s a good one. It’s a bit of a stretch since the witch or wizard rips the soul into two pieces, but I like the analogy anyway and find it apropos. I also like that, unlike other posts, you mention that we even need our enemies. It is the human interaction that sustains sanity and life.

However, I would take your response to answer the question in a black and white manner. It is all or nothing. You seem to view the answer in terms of total immersion in society or total isolation from all mankind. My response will differ slightly.

Living alone is perfectly doable for some people. In fact, there are individuals who enjoy their solitude, their havens of peace and quiet where they can retreat and shut away all of the craziness “out there.” I am such a person. I lived alone for several years. Oh, I worked a very people-oriented job, did volunteer work, and attended church. But my home was my quiet place. I did not visit other people’s homes and didn’t invite people over.

I am married to a hermit. We do not socialize. Really, we both detest parties and “events” in public venues. Now that we’re both retired, we go for days at a time that we live happily and quietly, enjoying our dog and our personal interests. We’re well-balanced, well-educated individuals who communicate with our families and enjoy social media. But, our home is private.

I can live alone and love it. Life can be meant to be lived alone, but not in absolute isolation. There is a difference.
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

Carol McCoy Phelps wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 21:12
Naushin Moledina wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 03:02 According to me, the relationships are the things that define us and our life. Without love, friendship or even enemies we are nothing. We leave our parts with everyone like the horcruxes of ourselves with every person we spend time with. So, ya ‘life is not meant to be lived alone’. It will be so boring without the connections that god has given us to live with.
Well, well, well. You put a spin on this that I did not expect to see! Who on earth would think of horcuxes being the people with whom we interact? That’s a good one. It’s a bit of a stretch since the witch or wizard rips the soul into two pieces, but I like the analogy anyway and find it apropos. I also like that, unlike other posts, you mention that we even need our enemies. It is the human interaction that sustains sanity and life.

However, I would take your response to answer the question in a black and white manner. It is all or nothing. You seem to view the answer in terms of total immersion in society or total isolation from all mankind. My response will differ slightly.

Living alone is perfectly doable for some people. In fact, there are individuals who enjoy their solitude, their havens of peace and quiet where they can retreat and shut away all of the craziness “out there.” I am such a person. I lived alone for several years. Oh, I worked a very people-oriented job, did volunteer work, and attended church. But my home was my quiet place. I did not visit other people’s homes and didn’t invite people over.

I am married to a hermit. We do not socialize. Really, we both detest parties and “events” in public venues. Now that we’re both retired, we go for days at a time that we live happily and quietly, enjoying our dog and our personal interests. We’re well-balanced, well-educated individuals who communicate with our families and enjoy social media. But, our home is private.

I can live alone and love it. Life can be meant to be lived alone, but not in absolute isolation. There is a difference.
I agree with you. A person can be alone and happy. We all come to a point where we enjoy our own solitude and seek no human interaction. I have been to that phase. Actually I still am in the same place. But I still believe that human interaction is a must for all of us to live. It can be your family or your spouse. I like how you changed the sentence, and now it all makes sense. "Life is meant to be lived alone, but not in absolute isolation." I couldn't have thought of it that way. Thank you for your perspective.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Neha Panikar »

This statement is true, more so from a biological/sociological point of view because man is a social animal. But, if a relationship is toxic and damaging your inner peace, I'd rather be alone and preserve my sanity first, than be with someone just for the sake of it!
Favy Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favy-moses.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Favy Moses »

Yes i believe that is true but some times life happen and then you don't have anyone around you, but still at that i always try to find my self someone i can always talk no matter what the issues are , it gives me some sought of realief.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

Truly life is not meant to be lived alone, It's depressing and it feels like fighting a battle with no one on your side, we need companionship.
Nell Brianah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nell-brianah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Nell Brianah »

Embracing the company of others transforms the mundane into memorable, whether navigating the complexities of suffering or savoring the sweet taste of joy. The human experience gains depth when intertwined with the threads of shared laughter, shared burdens, and shared triumphs. Loneliness, in its stark contrast, underscores the significance of forging bonds, as the tapestry of life finds its true vibrancy in the interplay of diverse stories and intertwined destinies. It is within the mosaic of human connections that the true richness of existence is revealed, making each step of the journey more profound and meaningful.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Searching for Zen by Albert T. Franklin

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

The concept that "life is not meant to be lived alone" reflects the idea that human connection and social interactions contribute to a fulfilling life. Many people find value, support, and joy in relationships with others. However, personal preferences and circumstances can vary, and some individuals may find contentment in solitude. Ultimately, whether one agrees with the statement depends on their own experiences, personality, and the importance they place on social connections in their lives.
Wemby Jordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wemby-jordan.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Wemby Jordan »

Yes, I do agree with this statement. No man is an island. Life is meant to be shared and enjoyed with friends and family.
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: When Business Is Love by Jan Ryde

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

Jules Verne's quote at the beginning: "Solitude, isolation are painful things and beyond human endurance." The ensuing chapter extols the importance of living a life with human connection. He talks about how people don't 'see' each other any more; it's all done via the internet, and this is a sad truth.
Rebecca De Figueiredo

Jules Verne's quote at the beginning: "Solitude, isolation are painful things and beyond human endurance." The ensuing chapter extols the importance of living a life with human connection. He talks about how people don't 'see' each other any more; it's all done via the internet, and this is a sad truth.
Rebecca De Figueiredo

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”