Does "Fireproof Happiness" leave anyone behind?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Maria Bardis
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Tuesdays with Morrie
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-bardis.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Does "Fireproof Happiness" leave anyone behind?

Post by Maria Bardis »

Does the book's focus on individual happiness and well-being neglect the importance of community and social connection?

Could the strategies be adapted to different cultural contexts or address the specific needs of marginalized groups?

Does it adequately address potential criticisms of hope-based approaches, such as over-optimism or simplistic solutions?

It's easy to like a 'self-help' book because their job is to appeal to insecurities common to everyone, but I'm curious if anyone felt forgotten.
Gabrielle Stepp
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-stepp.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Gabrielle Stepp »

While I have enjoyed reading Fireproof Happiness by Dr.Randy Ross, I can honestly say that I do believe there is the potential for some groups to be left behind. Here is how: Dr. Ross writes, “Hope is often mistaken for simply wishful thinking. The difference between wishing and hope is that wishing is passive and hope is active...” on pag 29. The way that this statement can leave someone behind is that it assumes that not only does everyone have the same opportunities, but they understand how to put the steps from point A to point Z together in order. I do understand that will does play a part in success, one still needs to know how to apply that will to create any active steps that might lead to success. You might even go so far as to say that one would have to have a basic understanding of what happiness even looks like. :techie-studyingbrown:
Gabrielle
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

The truth is that not everyone will agree with all of the author's submissions. There will definitely be people left behind. However, this book SHOULD benefit everyone.
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: A Long Ago place by Donna Betten

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

People have to work on themselves before they can relate well with others. What I mean is that an individual has to be happy first before it's evident in a community. So I don't think the author left anyone behind. However, everyone is not the same, and it cannot be said that this book will satisfy every reader. Still, it would satisfy a good number of its readers.
Chideraa Ezeanwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chideraa-ezeanwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chideraa Ezeanwu »

I don't think it does. We are small units that make up the larger community, and since this book is targeted to make us happy, it has targeted the building blocks of the community.
Miracle Kingss
Currently Reading: EMA
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-kingss.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Miracle Kingss »

No, it does not leave anyone behind. Everyone is a member of a larger institution.Schools, workplaces, religious institutions, and even countries benefit from having happy and lively members.
Tijesuni Ayobami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tijesuni-ayobami.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Tijesuni Ayobami »

Well, as much as it tries to pool everyone in, not everybody will agree to most of what Randy has submitted in her book. I personally disagree with 1 or 2 of the things she said in the book
Ian Ondara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ian-ondara.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Ian Ondara »

As much as many may not be in agreement with how the author defines hope and how it can help one in a day to day endeavors, I think that everyone deserves to be happy and hopeful. The author's wish is to help everyone achieve the same and if everyone is willing, the book can be beneficial to all.None excluded.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”