Is Happiness Actually Fireproof?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2023 Book of the Month, "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595181

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Dianë Godwill
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dian-godwill.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Re: Is Happiness Actually Fireproof?

Post by Dianë Godwill »

While happiness itself may not provide physical protection against fire, the idea of happiness being "fireproof" is often metaphorical.
Enjani Matendeko
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

Knowing that challenges in this work are inevitable can make us doubt if happiness can be fireproof. But the truth is it can be. Just like the author insinuated, those who didn't know this nor know how to maintain their happiness through challenges tended to commit suicide.
Dem Dem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dem-dem.html
Latest Review: American Fools Day by Anthony Kishko

Post by Dem Dem »

Personally, the tips and tricks that keep me out of fire are -:
1. Watching FRIENDS Tv show, it has helped me get through tough times. The reason behind this is because it is literally the simplest show and hence it brings the mind a state of peace
2. Talking to my bestfriend. Whenever I'm down, I just call her and even though she doesn't really do much, just talking to her makes me feel like I'm happy again.
Amarachi Nwogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachi-nwogo.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Amarachi Nwogo »

I believe that a certain level of hope and faith leads to strengthen your happiness.
Ajedevgun Benixo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajedevgun-benixo.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Ajedevgun Benixo »

It doesn't negate or eliminate the difficulties we face; rather, it provides a perspective that allows us to navigate through these challenges with a more balanced and composed mindset. This emotional resilience does not imply that we become impervious to the trials and tribulations of life, but it equips us with the mental fortitude to face them head-on, without losing our sense of self or our ability to find joy in other aspects of our lives.
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

Yes, I believe that happiness can be fireproof. It takes a lot of effort to condition the mind because truly this world's challenges can be daunting. This is where hope comes in to push you through. Hope doesn't just come, it's worked on to make one's happiness to be fireproof.
Benny Rach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benny-rach.html
Latest Review: ANGELA'S REDEMPTION by King Hambone (aka Augustus H. Green, Jr)

Post by Benny Rach »

According to the book *Fireproof Happiness* by Dr. Randy Ross, happiness can indeed be fireproof. Dr. Ross argues that true happiness is not dependent on external circumstances, but rather on internal factors such as mindset, gratitude, and purpose. By cultivating these qualities, individuals can build resilience and find lasting happiness, even in the face of adversity. The book suggests that while challenges and difficulties may arise, happiness can withstand these trials, making it "fireproof" in a metaphorical sense. Fireproof Happiness offers a compelling argument for the idea that happiness is within our control, regardless of external circumstances.
Anna Duke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-duke.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Anna Duke »

Happiness is surely fireproof. With happiness one can achieve anything and one won't be easily affected with bad thoughts.
Daberechi Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Daberechi Precious »

Pranav Dewangan wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 03:45 The title “Fireproof Happiness” may be misleading because no one can be happy all the time. However, with hope and the right strategies, people can come out of their worst times much earlier and maintain their overall sense of happiness throughout life. Life is full of ups and downs, and it’s during the down times that we learn life lessons that we may have failed to learn during good times. Therefore, every event in life has a role to play and happens for a reason. That is what I believe.

I really agree to this, no one can be happy all the time, we go through some hard time and easy times that's why we all she have hope that things will get better in our hard times.
Shiru Elizabeth
Currently Reading: The Riddle of Alchemy
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiru-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: From Flames to Valor by Jose L Berrios

Post by Shiru Elizabeth »

Happiness, in my opinion, can be strengthened to the point where it can endure life's challenges, but it's also critical to acknowledge that experiencing sadness or overwhelm occasionally is a normal aspect of being human. It's about striking a balance and being equipped with the means to get back to a happy place.
Oluwagbenga Akangbe
Favorite Book: Fireproof Happiness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwagbenga-akangbe.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 270%

Post by Oluwagbenga Akangbe »

The concept of “fireproofed happiness” isn’t a standard term in philosophy, but it seems to suggest a form of happiness that is resilient or impervious to the challenges and changes of life. Philosophically, this could align with the idea of eudaimonia, a term used by Aristotle to describe a state of being happy, healthy, and prosperous.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Jake the Last by Colin Payne

Post by Christell Lindeque »

Sushan Ekanayake wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 00:40 I believe that happiness can be fortified to an extent where it withstands life's trials, but it's also important to recognize that feeling down or overwhelmed at times is a natural part of the human experience. It's about finding a balance and having tools to return to a state of contentment.

As for personal tips and tricks, I find that maintaining a gratitude journal helps a lot. Reflecting on and writing down what I'm thankful for each day shifts my focus from what's going wrong to what's going right. Additionally, regular exercise, meditation, and connecting with loved ones are key practices that keep my spirits uplifted. It's about building a toolbox of strategies that work for you, keeping you grounded and centered even when things get tough.
I agree with you that feeling down or overwhelmed is a natural part of life and that tools can return you to a state of contentment. What people don't understand is that it takes time and work to do it as you also highlighted in your second paragraph.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Unknown Spy wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 03:50 Personally, the tips and tricks that keep me out of fire are -:
1. Watching FRIENDS Tv show, it has helped me get through tough times. The reason behind this is because it is literally the simplest show and hence it brings the mind a state of peace
2. Talking to my bestfriend. Whenever I'm down, I just call her and even though she doesn't really do much, just talking to her makes me feel like I'm happy again.
Unfortunately this would not always work for me, but I am glad it works for you! Everyone has their own way of staying happy. Mine is making time for doing the things I love. Like reading, writing and my family.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Enjani Matendeko wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 03:39 Knowing that challenges in this work are inevitable can make us doubt if happiness can be fireproof. But the truth is it can be. Just like the author insinuated, those who didn't know this nor know how to maintain their happiness through challenges tended to commit suicide.
This is so true, what baffles me is that when you do seek help from professionals, they tend not help efficiently and in a way the patient might understand. They don't always know how to treat their patients which is a problem and not all minds can be treated the same way as the next.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Ruth Siriba wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 10:10 It doesn't negate or eliminate the difficulties we face; rather, it provides a perspective that allows us to navigate through these challenges with a more balanced and composed mindset. This emotional resilience does not imply that we become impervious to the trials and tribulations of life, but it equips us with the mental fortitude to face them head-on, without losing our sense of self or our ability to find joy in other aspects of our lives.
This is true, I just wish people would seek help before it comes too late. Some people give up before even trying to find ways to "fireproof" their happiness.

Return to “Discuss "Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope" by Dr. Randy Ross”