What are your thoughts on suggesting this book as a 'first read' to someone?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sakshi Singh1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakshi-singh1.html
Latest Review: Parabolic Magnetic Key by Nicholas Wudtke

Re: What are your thoughts on suggesting this book as a 'first read' to someone?

Post by Sakshi Singh1 »

I think it'll be a great "first read" as the book is very fast paced so the reader won't get bored and sci-fi fantasy genre is also great for first read.
Sharon Mwendwa 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-mwendwa-0.html
Latest Review: Backcomb & Tattoo by Shea R Embry

Post by Sharon Mwendwa 0 »

I would suggest "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" as a first read to someone, especially if they enjoy immersive fantasy worlds with richly developed characters and intricate plots. It has all the elements of a captivating read, from its vivid imagery to its philosophical depth. Plus, it's always exciting to introduce someone to a new author and watch them fall in love with a fresh literary universe.
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivier-muhammad.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

"The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez is an intriguing choice for a 'first read.' It offers a captivating blend of fantasy, adventure, and thought-provoking themes, with vivid world-building and engaging characters. It has the potential to captivate readers and transport them into an exciting and imaginative realm
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Vending Bible by James Wormick

Post by Christell Lindeque »

It depends on the situation. If its for the sci-fi genre, then yes. If it is for a reader who is not sure about what genre they like yet then I would not think it is wise to recommend it unless its part of their interests.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: Sent to Watch by David J. Lebenstein
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

I do not this one would be a great suggestion. For one it was a slow read for me, and the plot kind of lacked direction until the very end. I am also not excited about the sequel because I genuinely felt the story did not need a continuation from where the first book ended.
"All I can do is fight, and I intend to. After all, giving up on the process is giving up on the result."
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

For a first time reader, sci-fi won't be a great choice. It will require utmost attention and it is time consuming. I guess something more relatable will be a great fit.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: Health is a Habit by Julie S. Massey

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

I would not suggest this as a first read to someone who is completely new to books or even new to the sci-fi genre. The book is no wonder brilliant; however, to get someone to like books or explore the sci-fi genre, this book would not be my first recommendation.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”