Overall rating and opinion of "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez

Post by Alex Lynn »

The overall idea I have about the book is that the scenes are described well. I love how I can view the gory scenes while reading.
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Joy in the Valley by Alex D. Scottlynn

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I remember thinking how much the author got going on on the cover. I think there was a lot of things that makes it somewhat less desirable. But, hey, we should never judge a book by its cover. The beginning of the book contained gory details but overall I think its a good first part of the series.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

I love the cover of the book. That is what drew me in! Those magnificent creatures—I had to know what they are. The mysterious, beautiful eye also invites the reader to learn what did she see? At first glance' these are the things I liked about “The Great Migration: Book One of the S’orne Saga”.

The first page starts the story out with such poignant, gripping drama that it was hard to put it down even into the wee hours of the morning. I must admit, too, I was flipped out by the brontotheres. Then the author laid some monsters on me, and my time would not be my own for several more hours.

What did I not like? This is such a picky nit, but you asked. It’s the only thing, too. I really hate that font that is supposed to look like handwriting. It is too light and difficult for vision-impaired people like me (macular degeneration and newly forming cataracts) to read easily. A stronger font could accomplish the same effect.

Off to another book, another opinion, and to let the dogs out. Yes, yes! Now you know who did that!
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Priya Mathew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-mathew.html
Latest Review: The House on Tyner by Matthew O’Connell

Post by Priya Mathew »

"The Great Migration" had me gripped right from the start, like my heart was doing somersaults the whole way through. I was constantly on the edge of my seat, just dying to know what curveballs were coming the characters' way. I kept asking myself, "Who's gonna make it to the end?"

And those stories within stories. It's like peeling back layers of an onion, right? There's so much going on, and you're trying to piece it all together. Towards the end, it hits you—like, "Ah, that's what 'The Great Migration' really means!"

I'm still getting over the feeling of having finished reading this book.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." - Charles W. Eliot
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

I like the onion analogy, too. It works so well with this novel. The author clearly carried the plot and sub-plots so well that it all made sense.

I am looking forward to getting into the next novel in the series. Thank goodness this book isn't the end.

I want a baby brontothere for Christmas. Only a baby brontothere will do!
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Purrfect Music Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purrfect-music-reader.html
Latest Review: Parabolic Magnetic Key by Nicholas Wudtke

Post by Purrfect Music Reader »

As I progressed through the story, action, terror, and suspense is catapulted when Azanon is introduced; the carer for the prince, and we get the first true taste of the s’orne- the horrific invaders whose attacks are rapid and brutal.

The history of the world is filled in generally through stories narrated by characters. There is quite a bit of exposition, but it does not feel unnecessary. There are so many elements to cover.

From racial and religious persecution, time and galaxy travel, pandemics, global war, cultural misunderstandings, and the potential destruction of worlds are all covered in this mammoth first part of the saga.

About halfway through the story, there is a bit of an exposition dump to explain what the actual great migration is about, and that the perceived enemies are not what they seem. Due to the large array of themes, characters, and subplots, at times the magic and suspense is lost as the author covers so much, making certain character arcs a bit tedious to read.

But wow! The last 100 pages or so were pumped full of action, suspense, display of courage, and skills of characters. I really enjoyed how each main character’s perspective shows different sides of the invasion, you get the action on all angles.

The ending closed certain aspects off nicely, but at the same time left plenty open for the next stage of the saga. This book is not just about tossing in a bunch of things to see what would work. Every character, theme, action, and consequence had its place. And ended with a mystery still yet to be solved. I would certainly read more!

Although the first book did have a lot of exposition, because there is so much going on in this world, I can understand why the author felt it necessary. That way in the next book, it can really get in the crux of the issues.

I would give the book 4 out of 5 stars due to the amazing imagination of the author, realistic and relatable character development, and the last part of the book was a banger!
Tsholofelo Kohitlhetse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsholofelo-kohitlhetse.html
Latest Review: God is good by Margaret liu collins

Post by Tsholofelo Kohitlhetse »

The book was well written and came alive with every chapter. At first, Bellon's mission was to complete the Thunder Valley expedition with her team and Luta as their lead guide. The author gave a good description of the barong's hunting and moving techniques. Hence, I made the mistake of assuming the great migration was referring to the Barongs, especially after King Cortez's explanation. Only later on did things unfold.

When Luta was stripped of his title as lead guide, he decided to go with Bellona to Crystal City. There, they met what I assume to be the true meaning of the great migration. That is what I call a great plot twist. The great migration of the Botai brought a lot of devastating impacts, such as fever, berserkers and death. Luta, having lived with the Botai previously, advocates for and teaches Bellona of their true nature and intent. Thereafter, Bellona is adamant about taking Keldiari to her people.

Anticipation and excitement fill me as I eagerly await book 2. I believe it will unveil Princess Dorinda's power in seeking vengeance for her people by hunting and confronting the Botai people. What stood out for me is the impact of fear. In many societies, people's diverse natures are often misunderstood, leading to actions fueled by fear that end up causing more harm than good.

Additionally, I thoroughly enjoyed the love story between Luta and Bellona. Taking the above into consideration, I would rate this book 5/5 stars. Although I must point out that the cover of the book is misleading, it suggests to the reader that the story is about barongs. Perhaps the author designed it that way to reveal the plot twist. Nonetheless, I would recommend this book to all sci-fi and fantasy lovers. It's captivating and full of suspension.
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-chege-2.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

NetMassimo wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 07:55 This is the first part of a bigger story, so a complete judgment can be given only at the end of the saga. That's a problem in the sense that for me it's soon to recommend it.

The worldbuilding is great. There's some exposition but it's included in ways that make it part of the story such as a tutor's lesson to a princess and some other students, so the pace doesn't slow down too much. I'm not a fan of low-tech civilizations and in this novel the initial impression is of a fantasy story. That flavor is compensated by the discovery of the truth about the s'orne making this novel science fiction with a fantasy flavor.

The subplot following Bellona shows how certain assumptions can be totally wrong. She was taught that the s'orne were monsters, so it's hard for her to change her mind when she's told the truth. That's what happens when someone is taught that people from a different nation, of a different religion or race or whatever are bad, even somewhat less-than-human. It's the source of so many tragedies in the history of humanity.
This information is quite detailed. I'm glad you took your time to cover major aspects of your likes and dislikes about the book. Thank you.
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

Tsholofelo Kohitlhetse wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 07:52 The book was well written and came alive with every chapter. At first, Bellon's mission was to complete the Thunder Valley expedition with her team and Luta as their lead guide. The author gave a good description of the barong's hunting and moving techniques. Hence, I made the mistake of assuming the great migration was referring to the Barongs, especially after King Cortez's explanation. Only later on did things unfold.

When Luta was stripped of his title as lead guide, he decided to go with Bellona to Crystal City. There, they met what I assume to be the true meaning of the great migration. That is what I call a great plot twist. The great migration of the Botai brought a lot of devastating impacts, such as fever, berserkers and death. Luta, having lived with the Botai previously, advocates for and teaches Bellona of their true nature and intent. Thereafter, Bellona is adamant about taking Keldiari to her people.

Anticipation and excitement fill me as I eagerly await book 2. I believe it will unveil Princess Dorinda's power in seeking vengeance for her people by hunting and confronting the Botai people. What stood out for me is the impact of fear. In many societies, people's diverse natures are often misunderstood, leading to actions fueled by fear that end up causing more harm than good.

Additionally, I thoroughly enjoyed the love story between Luta and Bellona. Taking the above into consideration, I would rate this book 5/5 stars. Although I must point out that the cover of the book is misleading, it suggests to the reader that the story is about barongs. Perhaps the author designed it that way to reveal the plot twist. Nonetheless, I would recommend this book to all sci-fi and fantasy lovers. It's captivating and full of suspension.
I can't wait to see the extent which Princess Dorinda can go to seek vengeance for her people. Sci-fi lovers will love this book to the core. Thank you for your informative notes.
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

I have to admit the book has a complex plot and subplots. That said, I enjoyed how the author managed to keep me glued to my seat with the world building and character development. While the cover page might be a bit misleading, the book deserves a clean 5 out of 5.
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

The geography of the regions were exceptionally showcased, vivid enough to feel like you're watching a film. Bellona makes a great protagonist, and the twists and turns make the book a more captivating read. Kudos to the author!
Ruth Chege 2
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

One thing that glued me to my seat was the "Great Migration" in Thunder Valley. The adventure and experiences with Luta as the lead guide were life-changing. Though the book is a work of fiction, a reader can draw numerous lessons from the characters and their doings.
Renee S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Renee S »

My overall opinion of the book is positive. I appreciate its depth beyond being solely a science fiction novel, thanks to the incorporation of multifaceted themes such as survival, sacrifice, exploration of an alternate reality, societal issues, and religious unrest. However, the aspect I find less appealing is the recurring insistence of Luta on Bellona documenting the points of explanation regarding botai. The genre blends sci-fi with elements of fantasy, drama, and action-adventure. I find the book cover okay, but it lacks a lasting impression on me. I would recommend this book to science fiction enthusiasts, adventure and action lovers, those intrigued by mysteries and unraveling secrets, and readers who appreciate themes of survival.
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Saima Rahman »

I really enjoyed the story and I can't wait to read the next one. The world building was so amazing and perfect as the first installment of the series. The characters were truly captivating and I am excited to be a part of their further adventures.
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

I loved how this book was portrayed as a 'parallel world' to ours, similar but not the same. There were similarities to other books like 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'Harry Potter'. The feel was magical and very much suited to young readers. The book's ongoing themes relate to accepting different creeds and tribes, environmental issues, and teamwork. The adventure had all the right ingredients: long journeys, love, bad people, magic, war, royalty, etc, and the lovely addition of a new vocabulary using some lovely new words.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”