Overall rating and opinion of "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Overall rating and opinion of "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like the least? What did you think of the writing style? What genre is the book? What genres are woven into the text? What did you think of the cover and title? What was the greatest lesson you learned from the book? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on the Bookshelf.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke
fav_author_id: 2540

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, is too dark to read.
-Grucho Max

The cover is not too appealing but the contents of the book are commendable.
Science fiction lovers will like this book as the world building is quite vivid and transpors you to a different dimension.
Ni_weh_sesh62
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

This is the first part of a bigger story, so a complete judgment can be given only at the end of the saga. That's a problem in the sense that for me it's soon to recommend it.

The worldbuilding is great. There's some exposition but it's included in ways that make it part of the story such as a tutor's lesson to a princess and some other students, so the pace doesn't slow down too much. I'm not a fan of low-tech civilizations and in this novel the initial impression is of a fantasy story. That flavor is compensated by the discovery of the truth about the s'orne making this novel science fiction with a fantasy flavor.

The subplot following Bellona shows how certain assumptions can be totally wrong. She was taught that the s'orne were monsters, so it's hard for her to change her mind when she's told the truth. That's what happens when someone is taught that people from a different nation, of a different religion or race or whatever are bad, even somewhat less-than-human. It's the source of so many tragedies in the history of humanity.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tour of Duty
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.

Post by Rupali Mishra »

Although the book's contents are excellent, the appearance is not very appealing.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tour of Duty
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.

Post by Rupali Mishra »

NetMassimo wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 07:55 This is the first part of a bigger story, so a complete judgment can be given only at the end of the saga. That's a problem in the sense that for me it's soon to recommend it.

The worldbuilding is great. There's some exposition but it's included in ways that make it part of the story such as a tutor's lesson to a princess and some other students, so the pace doesn't slow down too much. I'm not a fan of low-tech civilizations and in this novel the initial impression is of a fantasy story. That flavor is compensated by the discovery of the truth about the s'orne making this novel science fiction with a fantasy flavor.

The subplot following Bellona shows how certain assumptions can be totally wrong. She was taught that the s'orne were monsters, so it's hard for her to change her mind when she's told the truth. That's what happens when someone is taught that people from a different nation, of a different religion or race or whatever are bad, even somewhat less-than-human. It's the source of so many tragedies in the history of humanity.

Your review is informative and helpful, Thank you for it.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

Rupali Mishra wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 11:27 Your review is informative and helpful, Thank you for it.
You're welcome. :)
Ciao :)
Massimo
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Fate made an old dispute come to light again. A book with very good descriptions that transport you to that incredible place where the events take place. Our protagonists live great adventures in the midst of so much action. As for the cover, I find it interesting but it doesn't tell me much about the book.
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

This marks the beginning of a planned series comprising four books, narrating the escapades of Bellona, Luta, and their companions as they confront the menace posed by the enigmatic s'orne and unravel the secrets of their world. The s'orne are mysterious beings responsible for spreading a deadly fever that turns humans into deranged creatures. The story unfolds in a fantastical realm rich with diverse cultures, religions, and languages, drawing inspiration from real-world history and mythology. Blending elements of action, adventure, romance, mystery, and social commentary, the narrative delves into themes like courage, loyalty, faith, and identity.
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

The Great Migration by Steve Ramirez is a book that can teach us many things, such as:

-The importance of courage, loyalty, faith, and identity in the face of adversity and danger.

-The consequences of ignorance, prejudice, and fear towards those who are different from us.

-The potential of science, technology, and creativity to shape our world and our destiny.

-The value of nature, diversity, and harmony in a sustainable and peaceful future.

Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

The cover of the book is not too bad, but it starts out right away with gory details of not only people getting murdered, but horses, also. The part where Scout, the dog, gets chased by two large beastly animals, had my heart in my throat. I admire the people for taking the journey through the Thunder Valley, but the book seems a little too bloody for me. I'm sure that the readers who like sci-fi will enjoy it more.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

I will say the cover is appealing and it is focused on fiction, science therefore lovers of sci-fi books will enjoy it more.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I have not finished reading the book yet, but from what I have read so far, the book is very gory with people and animals getting murdered in the beginning. One man has his arm ripped off! Ouch! I know that back in the day, that's how people lived, but I can get along without the bloody details. Going on a journey through Thunder Valley is going to be quite difficult with the conditions of the land. I am anxious to finish the book and I hope that it doesn't get any bloodier.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Sakshi Singh1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakshi-singh1.html
Latest Review: Passion Struck by John R. Miles

Post by Sakshi Singh1 »

I just started reading this book yesterday, and let me tell you that you can absolutely judge this book by its cover. I'm not far enough into the book to comment anything, but the brutality began straight away. I'm both excited and nervous to see what happens next.
Sakshi Singh1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakshi-singh1.html
Latest Review: Passion Struck by John R. Miles

Post by Sakshi Singh1 »

Rahul Singh 29 wrote: 01 Jan 2024, 16:52  

The Great Migration by Steve Ramirez is a book that can teach us many things, such as:

-The importance of courage, loyalty, faith, and identity in the face of adversity and danger.

-The consequences of ignorance, prejudice, and fear towards those who are different from us.

-The potential of science, technology, and creativity to shape our world and our destiny.

-The value of nature, diversity, and harmony in a sustainable and peaceful future.

I agree, the book seems to touch on fundamental aspects of the human experience. I'm curious to explore how these themes unfold throughout the narrative. Thank you for your insights.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 09:38 The cover of the book is not too bad, but it starts out right away with gory details of not only people getting murdered, but horses, also. The part where Scout, the dog, gets chased by two large beastly animals, had my heart in my throat. I admire the people for taking the journey through the Thunder Valley, but the book seems a little too bloody for me. I'm sure that the readers who like sci-fi will enjoy it more.
You're not kidding! Page one and was already a bit disturbed by the graphic writing. BUT I am impressed that the writer pulls readers into the story immediately - and his writing makes it easy to picture the scene: the tents, the characters, the dead horses, the missing dog, and the sense of urgency to move quickly. Well done to the author!

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”