Overall rating and opinion of "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez

Post by Kristin Cowan »

Honestly, the cover has too much going on and it almost made me not read the book. However, I am glad that I clicked to read the description. It is a very well-written book that takes the reader to the events. I also liked that the book started with events already taking place; we didn't have to wait for a build-up to get things going.

It reminds me of The Last of Us....
Jay Lu
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

This book is more than just a sci-fi novel; it's a masterfully woven tapestry of culture and religion by Steve Ramirez. Each character, like Luta and Bellona, enriches the multi-layered story with their unique essence. Ramirez’s created world is astounding, ingeniously integrating real-world religious notions into an entirely novel sci-fi framework. This book is a bold reshaping of traditional sci-fi elements, offering readers a journey of the mind and imagination like no other.
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Angels on the Mountain by Thomas F. Todd

Post by Esther Deekor »

I see a lot of comments about the cover not being appealing but contrary to this, I found the cover appealing and this was what piqued my interest in the book.
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Angels on the Mountain by Thomas F. Todd

Post by Esther Deekor »

Esther Deekor wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 06:34 I see a lot of comments about the cover not being appealing but contrary to this, I found the cover appealing and this was what piqued my interest in the book.
I'm not saying the cover is the only thing I love about the book, I love the contents of the book too.
Rashad Deniro Price
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: Digging for God by Tom Hillman

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

This book belongs to the sci-fi/fantasy genre. I think the cover is great and reflects the themes explored in the story. As for the rating, I would give it a perfect five star. The storyline moves so fluidly.
Rashad Deniro Price
Currently Reading:

Esther Deekor wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 06:34 I see a lot of comments about the cover not being appealing but contrary to this, I found the cover appealing and this was what piqued my interest in the book.
I agree with you. The cover is just so appropriate. Well, everyone has their preferences.
Rashad Deniro Price
Currently Reading:

Patel Khushi Manishbhai wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 11:58 Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, is too dark to read.
-Grucho Max

The cover is not too appealing but the contents of the book are commendable.
Science fiction lovers will like this book as the world building is quite vivid and transpors you to a different dimension.
Exactly. The people can perceive the cover differently but the storyline is well-crafted.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

Weaving a tapestry with diverse, nuanced characters grappling with internal conflicts adds impressive dimension. Marks thoughtful character-building.
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

Authenticity in sci-fi requires mastery of scope - intimate character struggles amidst an expansive cosmos. This author seems to navigate both with aplomb!
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Blood in the Snow by C. Reinhold

Post by Zanne Crystle »

At first, I was a bit confused about the title of the book and how the migration pattern of the brontotheres was related to the plot. However, as I delved deeper into the story, I realized that the great migration wasn't about the animals at all. The cover art is quite pretty, but you have to reach pretty far into the story to understand who the woman is.

To my surprise, the book had elements of a zombie movie, which I found to be a refreshing change of pace. I was impressed by the author's portrayal of fear and how people react differently to danger. While some people can be trained to have a good response, others naturally respond in a way that could aid their survival.

Something this book had me thinking about - building up the courage, resilience, and adaptability to overcome tough situations might not always be enough. It's a captivating story that science fiction and adventure lovers will enjoy. The characters are well-developed and relatable, and the setting is vivid and rich. The plot is fast-paced and suspenseful, making it an excellent recommendation for anyone looking for an exciting and thrilling read.
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasir-shaikh.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

I haven't finished the book yet, but from what I've read so far, the storytelling is incredibly engaging. While I may not fully grasp the plot, it's genuinely interesting and keeps me focused on the narrative. Currently, I would rate the book a temporary 4 out of 5. I'm still a bit confused about the story, but I appreciate its qualities.
I value the learning process through feedback. If you have a moment, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on my work to help me enhance my skills. :tiphat:
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasir-shaikh.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

I completely agree with you; I also loved the cover. It's very attractive and adds to the overall appeal of the book.
I value the learning process through feedback. If you have a moment, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on my work to help me enhance my skills. :tiphat:
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Post by Martina Sette »

I have just started this book, and it has already impressed me a lot! I can't wait to finish it so that I can talk about it more in-depth.
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Blood in the Snow by C. Reinhold

Post by Zanne Crystle »

Honestly, I didn't like the cover or the name of the book at first. It seemed like something out of National Geographic, but after reading the book I completely get it now. :)
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Below by Stuart Lee

Post by Obc Contentor »

The book start well with action and dreadful scenes. The beginning approved of the design at the cover photo. The book introduce lots of characters at this begingn which makes the reading tiresome somehow. But I think we need to get acquainted with these characters make sense of the book at the long run.
Latest Review: Below by Stuart Lee

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”