Best and Worst part of "The Great Migration"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2024 Book of the Month, "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=530813

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Kathy Smith 16
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy-smith-16.html
Latest Review: The Story Of... by Shirley B Novack

Re: Best and Worst part of "The Great Migration"

Post by Kathy Smith 16 »

In the first part of the book, navigating the new characters and trying to figure out how they fit into the overall narrative was a challenge, but in the end I loved the interwoven stories and character development. Where the S'orne come from is the biggest disappointment to me. I don't know what I was expecting or hoping, but it felt like a let down.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

The worst part for me: there were too many characters, and often there were no connections between them. This made the story confusing at times. While reading I got lost a couple of times, thinking: is this part of the story happening in the same city?

The best part: I liked the way the author describes every scene, bringing them to life.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

In my opinion, the best thing about this book is the action/fighting scenes. They are very detailed and unpredictable. It was very easy for me to get absorbed by them and to feel what the characters felt. The only thing I didn't like about this book is Luta getting infected and dying. I feel like his character had so much potential. He was a warrior and should have survived the S'orne attack.
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Deceit by Vernon Baumrind

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

I liked the suspense in the book most. The book's plot also intrigued me. King Cortez and his kingdom, the adventure of the Zuni, the s'ornes and their origin all made for a very good book. However, I didn't appreciate the book's setting. I felt like Bellona when Luta's title was stripped off him. I felt that it was unjustified.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3073
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Circle of Innocents by Stephen D. Curtis

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I found nothing to dislike in the book. The characters are well-developed and the plot is also complex and packed with lots of action.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Radiant3 »

I enjoyed reading the book, so I can't pinpoint a specific part I found to be the best. However, I did enjoy the suspense-filled parts, like when Azanon was hiding in the clothing store. The worst part for me was when Luta's character was removed. I felt he was an integral part of the storyline.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: On The Receiving End by Sheila J. Brooks RN, BSN

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

The book's complex plot, though a strength, might also be challenging for readers who prefer more straightforward narratives. The intricate weaving of different storylines requires careful attention, which may not appeal to everyone.
Loretta Morris 1
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loretta-morris-1.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter by Mark Gumbrell
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Loretta Morris 1 »

One of the best parts in the book, "Great Migration" was when the dog Scout was running for his life. At first, Lacey could not find the dog, and he appears out of nowhere and runs toward Lacey and the family with the Barongs on his heels. The author's description in that moment was so detailed and clear to the imagination. I was happy when the dog Scout made it to safety. The worst part of the book is the beginning when the scene opens up describing the deceased bodies in the camp. This displayed fear, hurt and a great loss for the tribe.
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Through a Glass Darkly by David Barclay-Miller

Post by Marina Flisvou »

The best part of "The Great Migration" is its deep dive into cultural stories and how people interact with nature, particularly showing the Zuni people as caretakers of the land. This aspect makes the story rich and engaging, drawing readers into both environmental and cultural discussions.

However, the worst part might be how the book simplifies complex social issues. Some parts, like the depiction of the Zuni culture based on myths, could be seen as not fully respecting the real depth and complexity of their traditions.
Marina
Victor Obonyo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-obonyo.html
Latest Review: Three Weeks in Winter by Joseph LeValley

Post by Victor Obonyo »

I appreciate the way the first few chapters of the book were structured like short stories, each introducing the different characters that would play a role in the overall plot. It was exciting to see how their stories would eventually intersect.

Losing so many characters unexpectedly was my least favorite part of the book. They all showed so much strength and bravery, and I found myself rooting for them, only to be disappointed when they didn't make it.
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by williams Emerald »

The best part of “The Great Migration: Book One of the S’orne Saga” is its immersive world-building and intricate character dynamics, which draw readers into a richly detailed and captivating narrative. The worst part could vary depending on personal preferences,I personally find certain graphic scenes and the pacing issues challenging. Overall, though, the strengths of the book outweigh any potential drawbacks, making it a compelling read.

Return to “Discuss "The Great Migration: Book One of the S'orne Saga" by Steve Ramirez”